How does your band find music?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Jul 17, 2008.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I am prompted by another thread "Brass bands most favourite pieces" to beg the question "where can I buy that piece of music"?

When another player or band says that a piece is "well within a 4th Section Band", or "this is the most moving piece since nineteen hundred and frozen to death" I will do a little Google research to see how it sounds and whether it might fit our repertoire.

But frequently - well more often than not - the search does not reveal either a publisher or a retailer, so where does your band go for your reference data of composer, arranger, publisher, retailer? Is there a comprehensive database of brass music? If not, why not?

Should TmP lead the way and establish a non commercial database of music, leaving the searcher to only find a retailer?

Alanl58

PS I was looking for a retailer Wilby's arrangement of St Clement!

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

3. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Yes, but you try them and they do not have it (as in the Wilby example), where next?

alanl58 - I must go to bed earlier!

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Is it out of stock, as they show it as available?

I tried to trace the publisher, but with no success :-?

5. westyorkbandy

westyorkbandy New Member

If you look at the front of the score as per the second message you will see that it is published by Kirkless Music of Brighouse

6. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Ok, so suppose the piece of music is not on the usual stockists lists - and I certainly would not have the score to look at, otherwise I would not have posed the question (but thanks for the info about St Clements).

Indeed these generous replies entirely illustrate my point:

Where can you find the names of publishers and suppliers when the "usual" sources such as Just Music or SA publishing etc do not stock them? Is there a database somewhere with this information?

alanl58

7. winterman

winterman Member

I am actually currently working on a new website venture (see my footer) to try and help resolve some of this problem. It is a fair way off at this time, looking to launch before the end of this summer (not even live on the web yet) but hopefully with the publishers, composers/arrangers and banding communities help we can solve this problem.

If anyone is interested in being involved with this let me know, the more the merrier.

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

What about a music shop? Band Supplies in Leeds, Banks in York - just seen your from Cornwall - Trevada? - spring to mind and are always worth a visit and you can happily look through the scores and parts for hours. There must be other decent music shops in elsewhere.

Every contest I've been to usually has a trade stand of various companies and they have vast selections of music to look at. Not all answers can be found on the internet.

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

That sounds a good idea Mic. Not sure what help I could be, but let me know if you think of Owt. I suppose one problem you might encounter is that a fair bit of what is considered fairly current repertoire must surely be out of print by now - although I bet a surprising amount of yellow music is still available.

As per the Wilby piece, the information you received may have become a little confused. As far as I recall (only having played it twice) it's not entitled St Clement - even though that's the hymn tune it's based on. As far as I know it's actually called "The Day Thou Gavest," after the words of the hymn. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

10. winterman

winterman Member

Cheers Andy.. you know I will be in touch ;)

I do believe you are right on that one, written for Geof Whitam and Hammond Sauceworks. Bit of a git for a tired ol' Euph player like me at the end of a concert, but stunningly good in the right hands! :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Section Band
    retailer Wilby
    piece of music
    non commercial database of music
    publisher
  12. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

What about Kirklees Music? http://www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk