How do you...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mister 4x4, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

... keep your horn smudge-free?

Besides the obvious: constantly wipe it down and grab it in the same place every time.

I find the polishing cloths that come with the instrument care kits to be completely inadequate for removing stray finger prints. You have to keep buffing and buffing and buffing, only because you smear the fingerprint around a bit before it disappears.

I've recently discovered the value of using a chamois to wipe down the horn - it removes fingerprints and whatnot the first swipe or two. I also didn't relish the idea of pulling out the entire chamois (about 40cm x 40cm) to handle the horn while playing, so I cut off a strip about 15cm wide and split it in half as well. So now I have two smaller chamois' (folded into roughly 10cm x 10cm) that I can 'palm' to grasp the horn without leaving too many fingerprints. Plus, they're handy to give a quick wipe when the MD is running the clarinets through their part for the umpteenth time again.

Just the other night, I made a couple of black leather wraps for the cross-tube (where I hook my thumb for the valves), and the 1-valve down tubes (where I grasp it with my other hand) to eliminate the need to carry both smaller chamois - I can either hang just one on the stand now, or keep it on my lap or something. I also used velcro to allow easy removal of the wraps (for cleaning or repair work).

Looks kinda snappy too. Hopefully, it'll keep the affected lacquer in good shape over the years as well.

Anybody else do anything out of the ordinary to keep your horn looking spiffy?
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I CBA to keep it spiffy-looking.
  3. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Clean it with high quality white gloves (like two cloths that never move off your hands ane NEVER touch the bell area. Ever.

Then the only bits that get dirty are the pipe where i hold it and the back of the valve block (And the inside of teh bell to drain water).
  4. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

OK - care to translate for us Yanks? :D :oops:
  5. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Quote: (Originally Posted by BBCBass)
    I CBA to keep it spiffy-looking.

And us English! :clap: :oops:
  6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

he is a yank!

I dont keep it smudge free, takes to long and as soon as Ive done one bit I smudge it :rolleyes:
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think what Pat was referring to was that he lacks the necessary motivational drive required to be constantly eradicating his bass of fingerprints resulting in the instrument's failure to achieve a suitably burnished appearance.

8. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

D'Oh! Whoops. I guess I just assumed since I saw an unfamiliar term that it was from your side of the pond. :oops:
  9. Di

Di Active Member

He has recently returned to your side of the pond having just spent a year in the UK. He certainly managed to pick up a few of our "quaint little English isms" while he was here. ;) Have a word with Pat, I do believe he created an extensive USA/English phrase log. :rolleyes:
  10. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

OK, sure... but still - what does CBA mean? ;) :D
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've just explained it in a PM to you! ;)
  12. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Roger that. And thanks again. :D
  13. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

i use goddard's silver polish, every now and again. always works far better than those silly polishing cloths. got my joint principal hooked on it too :) polish on, polish off and smile at your reflection. and the obvious - always grab it in the same place, make sure there's no water in the drip catcher before you turn it upside down ;) etc
  14. Steve

Steve Active Member

leaving it in the case works pretty well for me, saves all that faffing around before gigs with cloths and polish.
  15. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Don't touch it. Ever.
  16. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

Just dont clean it, so that it all gets so smudged that it looks like its sposed to be like that, and all the smudges blur into one. :)

(i also am intrigued to know what CBA means!?!?)
  17. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

As Ian suggested earlier in the thread, CBA refers to a general lack of motivation. The first two letters stand for "Can't be", the third I leave to your imagination - it would be bleeped out by the censor anyway ;). I will tell you that it refers to a part of the human anatomy though......
  18. Heppy

Heppy Member

it means 'cant be ar*ed', and ar*e is another word for 'f*nny' to americans
  19. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

No... it pretty much means the same thing over here, as it does over there. ;)
  20. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

hehe lol oops, guess thats quite obv. blonde moment last night obviously! :)