How do you transport your percussion?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AudleyBrass, Sep 12, 2006.

1. AudleyBrass

AudleyBrass Member

It's always a problem transporting large items of percussion to concerts, but we're having more than the usual difficulties at present as we are 'between bandrooms'. We are practising in the local church and church hall while our bandroom is being rebuilt, but our storage is a couple of miles down the road. With Pontins on the horizon we really need to have our large percussion items at all rehearsals, but as timps etc won't fit in a standard car, we're a bit stuck.
    Does anyone have any innovative ideas for transport? How do you transport your percussion? We've tried asking and begging, we do have helpful, committed band members but the truth is, cars are either too small or too full of people and instruments.
  2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Our solution to the problem happened when our percussionist decided he needed a new car and chose himself a nice van. Not the easiest solution as it does involve buying a van. It did solve the age old problem of " whos taking the stands? the banners? the kit?" etc However now we have to 'remind' people to help load and unload it.
  3. Di

Di Active Member

As its only a temporary problem, do you have a local "man with a van" who you could hire to trip this up and down the road on a regular basis in return for free adversts in up coming concert programmes?
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You can fit two timps into Vauxhall Zafira, but it is a problem if you don't have access to one of those. Have you thought about selling the timps and buying some tour timps instead? I'm quite tempted by a set of those for myself, but the bank manager won't let me! :(
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Not me; John has to beat me off with a pooey stick 'cos I keep putting stuff away in the wrong order. :D

Adams make pedal tuned timps with short covers and legs that retract into the bowl to make transportation easier - - which might be an option if you are considereing swapping your existing ones.

Failing that I think Di's solution is probably the best, some sort of mutual back-scratching arrangement with a local man & van, or maybe a small local courier firm?
  6. Di

Di Active Member

I first thought of a local hire company, with some kind of sponsorship, programme thingy, but I bet they'd be after a bit more than just a couple of ads, still, worth a try -

Don't ask, don't get. ;)
  7. AudleyBrass

AudleyBrass Member

Thanks Di, yes it is worth asking around. Maybe someone who knows the locals better than I do will be able to help...incidentally, anyone out there who lives near Audley, Staffs? With a van and a kind heart?
    Someone suggested buying a box trailer, for transport and storage but we're in the situation where we can't pay out for a trailer as we need the money to pay for the building, but the delays in the building mean an even greater need for the trailer. And I'm not sure whether the instruments would suffer from temperature extremes in a box trailer.
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

As this is only a short-term thing while you're between bandrooms, Di's suggestion seems the most sensible. Surely there's some local company willing to help out with the loan of a van in exchange for some good PR in local papers etc. 'Local company helps band out in their search for Pontins glory' sort of thing?
  9. Di

Di Active Member

You don't necessarily need to know the locals, just find the local paper, perhaps even the free weekly papers and run through the "services" and "classfied ads".

Good idea too Dyl, go the step further and get the guy in the papers for his good deeds. :clap:
  10. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

We have two travel pedal timps at City of Brumshire - they fit in a standard Estate car...

When we did our recording with the NMYBB our Drummer filled (and i mean filled) a high top long wheel base van with all the stuff we needed - perhaps you could aquire a eighth hand transit or something...?

What about a car showroom near to you - they often have Vans with their details on which provide good advertisements - like courtesy cars...

At Ilkeston Brass we were sponsored by the local Toyota Dealership "the band in front..." etc. perhaps you could ask around... we actually used to rehearse at the showroom between band rooms, wihcih involved rolling a Rav 4 and a Previa out of the way!

So just extending Di's idea really...
  11. Di

Di Active Member

And to wrap all these ideas up together, you could actually run an article in the local mag and even on local radio with your story and your need for help.
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- and the story can be broadcast online too! ;)
  13. Di

Di Active Member

14. Bungle

Bungle Member

I transport our two timps and my Eb bass in my Citroen Piccaso with the back seats taken out. A Renault Scenic would probably have the same space.
  15. AudleyBrass

AudleyBrass Member

Hmmmm looks like it's time to start making some phonecalls. Thanks everyone, and please keep the ideas rolling in!
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Simple, take the cost of the additional transport off the builders bill - everyone else does - building doesn't cost anymore and if it's the builders fault he ought to pay up anyway. Hope you've some Liquidated and Ascertained Damages written in to your building contract. Late completion charges should go some way to your extra costs.
  17. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

In MY ickle car! :biggrin:
  18. Di

Di Active Member

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?
  19. cragdrummer

cragdrummer New Member

whenever our band do 1 night concerts we use a van that we hire from gullavars, although this can be expensive if you do it regularly but it takes all our gear + music + stands and the advanced party in the front to set up!

This may sound like a stupid question, but is there any room to rehearse where you store your timps? Either that (if its not a broom cupboard!), or why not see if you can leave the largest items of percussion in the church hall where you are rehearsing?