How do you think Euph/Baris should be seated?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Feb 14, 2007.

How do you think Euph/ Baris should be seated?

1. Championship: Solo Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

6 vote(s)
  2. Championship: Solo Euph, 2nd Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

7 vote(s)
  3. Championship: They are different instruments and not wholey interchangeable.

14 vote(s)
  4. 1st Section: Solo Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

3 vote(s)
  5. 1st Section: Solo Euph, 2nd Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

7 vote(s)
  6. 1st Section: They are different instruments and not wholey interchangeable.

5 vote(s)
  7. 2nd Section: Solo Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

1 vote(s)
  8. 2nd Section: Solo Euph, 2nd Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

2 vote(s)
  9. 2nd Section: They are different instruments and not wholey interchangeable.

7 vote(s)
  10. 3rd Section: Solo Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

0 vote(s)
  11. 3rd Section: Solo Euph, 2nd Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

2 vote(s)
  12. 3rd Section: They are different instruments and not wholey interchangeable.

3 vote(s)
  13. 4th Section: Solo Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

0 vote(s)
  14. 4thSection: Solo Euph, 2nd Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Euph, 2nd Bari

4 vote(s)
  15. 4th Section: They are different instruments and not wholey interchangeable.

6 vote(s)
  1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It seems different bands have different ways of seating their Euph/Bari players. How do you think it should be? Most would agree the top player normal goes on solo euph, and the bottom player on 2nd bari, but how would you rank players 2 & 3....or are they different enough an instrument that there shouldn't be a rule?

BTW, the poll is split by section as I think that may be a confounding variable.
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

You could say the same about Flugel being seated with horns or with the cornets.

it differs with each band
  3. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

As a trombone player, I don't mind so long as they decide where they want to put their chair. Every euphonium player I've sat behind moves his chair at least 5 times before starting a concert or contest performance. Usually they do this when there's very little slide room....
  4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Euphs and Baris are different instruments and shoulde be seated together with the euphs at the top of the line and baris at the bottom
  5. pdj

pdj Member

Well i would seat the players in order of their positions as we do, Solo Euph, 2nd Euph, Solo Bari, 2nd Bari and in regards to the section position in the band we sit behind the horns in the middle of the band. Its what we have always done and it works for our band. MD`s have different ideas on how to get the best from the band seating wise to produce a balanced sound.

6. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I think it depends on the blend of sound required by the conductor and the piece.

Questions you need to ask:-

Are the baritones with the horns more than with the Euphs or are the Euphs Baris playing closely with the Basses (seat them infront of the basses with the Horns down the side or behind the horns with the troms directly opposite the cornets)

Some many options
  7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

How do you think the euphs/ Baris should be seated?

About four foot further forward than they generally do;)
  8. jamesrosscooper

jamesrosscooper New Member

I think Euphs/Baris should be seated....

I think Euphs/Baris should be seated....on big spikes:)
  9. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Looks like someone beat me to it with the "on big spikes" post.......Damn!!

Surely it depends on the piece and the interaction or relevance to other parts within the band. Someone made a link to the flugel in an earlier post which i guess the same principal should apply.
  10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I agree. Our MD has just moved the euphs/baris from in front of the basses to a position in front of the trombones to suit the 'Wayfarer'. It is a position that better suits the piece
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that people have understood the question. I may be wrong, but I think the question being asked (if I may be permitted to reword it) is:

"Out of four Euph./Bari. players of varying technical proficiency, should the 2nd-most capable player be on 2nd Euph. or 1st Bari.? Or, are the instruments so different that the question is not relevant?"

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick ... (conductor's joke ... sorry ... coat ... )
  12. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

Are you then implying that the solo bari player is inferior to the solo euph?

My interpretation is that the Euphonium section is lead by the solo euphonium and the baritone section is lead by the solo baritone. And usually the solo baritone player is better than the 2nd euph, as you have to be to play solo baritone as it is a principal position, whereas 2nd euph (as much as they may want it to be!!) isn't!

Or am I misunderstanding the question??
  13. DublinBass

Thanks Gareth...that is exactly what I meant...perhaps using the word seating accidentaly gave a physical connotation.
  14. DublinBass

No, you understand it perfectly...and that is why I added the option they are different instruments and thus must be treated differently.

I think the general perception is that the solo bari is inferior to the solo euph...I don't know that I always agree. I would argue in some bands, granted a very small number, the solo baritone is the better overall musician and player than solo euph (or at least equal to)
  15. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If that is the case that the 1st Bari player is far supirior to the solo Euph you would have him/her sat on the end

Baritones are Baritones and Euphs are Euphs end of....
  16. Scongie

Scongie Member

Different instruments in my opinion, having a nice sound on Bari doesn't mean you can do the same on Euph and vice versa.
  17. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

Oh, thats OK then.

I don't think you can afford to have a solo bari player who is too far behind, in terms of standard, the solo euph. It is a principal position with a rising reputation and we see that demonstrated in the area pieces for this year. The best players have to be in the positions where thay are needed- No point having a brilliant 2nd euph and a 'not so good' solo bari- and generally speaking, that usually isn't the case. It would be like having two really good 2nd cornets but 2 rubbish thirds.

Sort of anyway :wink:
  18. on_castors

on_castors Member

For contest purposes, all layouts are to be up to the man behind the stick at the time, the piece being a major influence on that decision. With more general programmes, there is always going to be some degree of compromise.

Being JUST old enough to remember playing in bands with Euphs & Baris still USUALLY sat in front of basses and behind the horns, I think this does have SOME plus points in letting those instruments hear each other, but has negatives, including that it is rarely convenient on stands or stages, except for the trombones that is!

Now I am a part time Bass player that has been round the other sections too, I now know that Basses (and perhaps BACK row cornets) are spoiled rotten by their superior overlook/listening post over the band, and only a well placed whack on a Timp played fff (ie. when they are marked mp) can suck the air out of my lungs!

I also play 2nd Baritone regularly, & I find it (as we play the commonest current arrangement of 2 euphs, 2 baris in front of Troms) with me tucked in next to the 2nd horn a total nuisance, I can hear the 2nd horn. but only when I am not getting BLASTED senseless by the Bass trom (as well as by the percussion depending on how we are set out!) Baritones are so softly-toned (well in my hands anyway! I can break railway sleepers at 100 yards on a Tuba, but the Bari is just plain soft!) that I often wonder why I bothered to come, and wonder how much more hearing loss it is hastening on :-( Horns other than the 2nd (who is almost sitting on my knee) are just something I hear when listening to other bands, not when playing, they just don't carry over my way when pointing over the cornets who are giving it full rasp! Perhaps they are the section who needs moving most, yet are least often moved? Or perhaps they just need the bells bending round? ;-)
  19. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

Just look carefully at the scoring on a lot of recent music, say 1960 onwards, and you often find the baritones scored with horns and flugel. Definitely different instruments and not totally interchangeable. No matter where they physically sit.

I would go further and suggest (discounting flugel for a moment) solo horn/solo baritone, then 1st horn, 2nd baritone, 2nd horn would be a reasonable "pecking order" (so long as mouthpiece size isn't an issue)

Further, how about cornet section "pecking order"? I favour (from top, and discounting sop) Principal, Rep, bumper up, top 2nd, top 3rd, 3rd man down, 4th man down, 2nd 2nd, 2nd 3rd.

Any advances?
  20. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

I prefer Solo Euph 2nd Euph solo Bari 2bn Bari opposite the cornets.

Oh and solo euphs should not make a sound akin to a Dyson Vac!!!