How do you tell a player....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Despot

Despot Member

....he needs glasses!

Every time there's a missed accidental etc, I point it out to the same player. After a few moments squinting, I get the usual, "bad/small print", "poor light" etc.

Is there any nice way of pointing it out to someone?
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Get the copies blown up on a photocopy - presumably now legal under the Disability Access law.
  3. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

How do you tell a player?

You need to know exactly what the problem is first of all.So discuss it in private with the player to avoid embarrassment.Then you might find a mutually agreeable solution.
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Get you're eyes tested ya blind old git!!! :biggrin:
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Subtle as ever dude!
  6. 2nd man down

Thanks man! :biggrin:

Seriously tho, the only solution is to speak to the person in private and maybe subtly suggest that it may be a good idea to consider having them checked out, or at very least ask if they are struggling to see the music because of lighting etc. I can't see anyone being offended by it if it's approached correctly.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Okay, more subtle...
    Maybe his stand partner should just say "Dude, maybe you need some reading glasses or something"

Either that, or stop using so many illegally copied parts with smudged accicentals ;)
  8. 2nd man down

9. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I normally just tell them what's wrong. At the end of the day it needs to be said, otherwise it would just sound rubbish and it is easier to beat out the bad habits in the early stages of learning a piece, even if the conductor might not be looking at it that precisely.
  10. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

That would only work if he was a cornet player or something!

I would probably make a joke out of it - "Ha ha that's the 3rd time I've had to tell you what's on the part - have you had an eye test recently?" sort of thing....

PS If it's Keppler, you know you can just tell him don't you? ;)
  11. Ginge

Ginge Member

Are you sure they're not just using 'bad light' as an excuse?
    Is it glasses they need? or just a bit more practice?
  12. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

that's like saying how do you tell someone who thinks they're a good player that, well, actually mate, you're not, and you'd benefit from practice just as much as the next person down. with difficulty!

(i refuse to say man. i refuse.)

13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I thought he already wore glasses when he plays?

So what IS his excuse ;)
  14. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

If if someone already wears glasses to read music, they aren't always going to be the correct prescription for a particular vocational task!

How old is the person we're talking about? Reading spex are usually required from 45yrs+ as a general rule. Music however is a tricky one. Sometimes the print is very small but the stand may need to be at a further working distance due to sharing or even the instrument played.

I think the beat thing would be to have a quiet word with this person.

If all else fails, get him/her a pair of +1.00 ready readers & chuck them at him/her!! [​IMG]
  15. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Hmmmmm, Just have a word and tell them that it will improve there playing!!!
  16. 2nd man down

You could try a more direct, yet subtly cunning approach...get all the band to line up and say something like
    "All those players that think they play well enough to justify their seat, please take one step forward"
    and when this person takes a step ask them what the hell they think they're doing.

Message will be received and fully understood. :biggrin:
  17. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

How is that subtle?
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... or you could tell the player to take the part home to familiarise him/herself with it so time-wasting mistakes can be reduced (if the piece is not being used just for sight-reading).
  19. 2nd man down

Wish i could find a smilie showing something going right over someone's head! :roll:
  20. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

No. Be eponymous.

Or subtle. Lie about going to the optician youself and say how relieved you were that the prescription change was quite cheap. Then casually throw in a quaestion about how long it since they've been to the optician. When they say 23 years, encourage them to go as "even changing my prescription a small bit has made me feel so much better and I hadn't even realised that my sight had worsened".

Then gently remind him or her every other rehearsal or so.

As Spanky says - all this should be one to one with no hint of embarrassment.