How do you search for the latest threads and posts on tMP?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Mar 9, 2006.

What method do you use to find the latest posts and threads on tMP?

1. New Posts menu option on navigation bar

21 vote(s)
  2. New Posts menu option on from home page welcome panel

17 vote(s)
  3. Todays Posts menu option

5 vote(s)
  4. Browse categories

9 vote(s)
  5. View your Subscribed threads via UserCP

2 vote(s)
  6. Other... please let me know in the thread.

3 vote(s)
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Just wanting to do some research into how best to fine tune tMP for best performance and most efficient use.

What method to you use to find all the new threads and posts on tMP?

There are several ways to accomplish this, you can look at Todays posts, New Posts, do you simply browse by category, or do you check your subscribed threads using the UserCP.

Please let me know which option you use.

2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

in tMP Clean I use the Search > Find New Posts option on the navigation bar.
  3. flower girl

flower girl Member

i just use the new posts link on the screen
  4. TheMusicMan

Why not just New Posts in the navbar Jan? Is it because of the &excluded forumID?
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm a browser. I like to flick through all the different categories. (although most of the time i tend to stick to the subscribed threads in my user cp.)
  6. dyl

dyl Active Member

That's the one I use - and it's definitely because of the excluded Totally Random & Thread Games! ;)
  7. Jan H

part of it is just a habit I guess.
    But also because the New Posts in the navbar doesn't return anything from the Thread Games and Totally Random.. subcategory

oh, and when I type "th" in the firefox browse bar, it is automatically completed to :redface::D
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Mostly I use the "New Posts" link on the portal page (which also excludes totally random), and then perhaps flick through the individual fora or do a new in the last xx days to hoover up any I might have missed.
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I use the Quick Links choosing the New Post (Excluding Random) - couldn't vote for that though.
  10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Although not keen on everytime I get new posts, it still shows the posts I havent read from last time I visited, (currently 10 pages!) personally if I havent read them 1st time around, aint really wanting to see them the 2nd time..!

Prefered it the old way, cos it would still list a thread that if you've already looked at previously, even tho when you reclick new posts. Now if you want to look at a particiular thread again 1/2hr later, you need to go into the search option and look for it that way,......if that makes any sense!

Is there a way of telling you as soon as someone has written a new post rather than having to refresh everytime? Some folk seem to be on the ball straight after one has been posted or am I just too slow?!!!
  11. TheMusicMan

Yes... simply subscribe to the thread and depending on your subscription option (immediate, daily, weekly) you will receive an email informing you that a reply has been made to that thread. In the email will be a link directly to the newest unread post.
  12. Jan H

These posts won't show up any more when you do a "Mark Forums Read". It's in the Quick Links menu on the navigation bar.
  13. Di

Di Active Member

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I wonder whether this question might have been better with a multiple option poll, as a few of us seem to use more than one choice.

I usually use the "New Posts" on the navigation bar, particularly since it now shows up posts that you hadn't read last time round, which weren't highlighted before.

However, I often also make quite a lot of use of the "Today's posts" in the "Quick links" box, particularly if I want to go back and check something on a post I've already read, and I'm not sure which category it was under.
  15. Steve

Steve Active Member

That one there :D

Attached Files:

16. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Use the Today's Posts (or All New Posts in tMP Clean, which for some reason is there when using IE but not when using FF). Don't like the New Posts on the navbar because it doesn't show everything.

I make frequent use of the Mark Forums Read option, to cut down on the size of the lists.
  17. Jan H

You mean you don't read every thread? What kind of Mod are you... :p:p
  18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I always use Quick Links > Today's Posts because it shows everything, and then I can choose which ones I don't want to read for myself. Bearing in mind that most posts on here are in the category that is excluded I don't find the other options very useful.
  19. TheMusicMan

^^ who's a clever one then ;)
  20. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I like to browse. Sometimes I start off on New Posts, but usually end up trawling the forums.