How do you keep your lip in on holiday

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by T Winch, Jul 22, 2007.

1. T Winch

T Winch Member

I'm off to Florida in a couple of days for my summer hols. The thing is, I don't have much time when I get back to get my lip in before the Land of Burns contest. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep my lip in while I'm away? I intend taking my mouthpiece but I would be interested to know if anyone has any particular excercises that work for them.

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's a wierd thing with me...never taken my mouthpiece on holiday with me, yet every time I come back to it I always find I have so much more stamina than when I went. That's just my opinion tho, others may say different! :-?

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Some people claim that the B.E.R.P. is of great benefit, but whether they make one that is suitable for horn players is another question.

4. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Whatever mouthpiece you use,you will get a plastic one the same shape and diameter, they are very underestimated, some top players use them(David King and John Pullin ,Hepworths tuba)They weigh nothing and you can always find a watering can or something similar to use with it while on the beach.

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Me too - I took my mouthpiece away with me for two weeks and never touched it.
    Came back worried.
    First prac I was really cr*p (more so than usual), but after two days home practice I was better and stronger than before I went, though, as you say, "Others may say different" !!
    - Wilkie

6. I sometimes take mine but not always. If I forget then i usually just practise buzzing simple tunes on it (its harder than you think) and aim for as clearer buzz as possible (if that makes sense). When i get back i'm still in practise (ish!) and find my sound is better for it. Plus it doesn't take up too much time off your holiday!! :)

7. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I took my mouthpice and a BURP with me last year. It really helped. When I came back it was as though I hadn't been away. I will be doing the same this year too!

8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I Do!!

9. smaca

smaca Active Member

Just back from Florida(too hot,100 degrees every day!) and took mouthpiece with me. Also took my current bible(Roger Websters Preparation,Practice and Performance) and Howard Snells book "The Trumpet".

I found reading these 2 master performers methods on preparing the chops even before buzzing then buzzing, prior to doing the exercises(including breathing) was beneficial.Had my first practice since return the other night, and to be honest now glad I took mouthpiece as it did not feel as if instrument hadn,t been touched in 2 weeks.

I suppose its horses for courses. I do not get away with not keeping chops in shape, where on the other hand I know fantastic players who just put instrument to lips and play well, even when they havent played for a week or so.

10. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Unfortunately there's no BERP for horn mouthpieces, but I find a piece of tissue gripped around the mouthpiece provides a nice amount of resistance.

I'll be taking my mouthpiece and having a go at buzzing everyday, even if it's just to irritate my hubby! LOL! :p

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Land of Burns
    Florida
    lip
    couple of days
    Land of Burns contest