How do you get your missus to go into labour?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Sharpy, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Our little bundle of joy was meant to arrive yesterday and I know that babies will only come out when they are good and ready, but has anybody got any good tips for just helping little un along a bit?! We did think at one point something was happening but baby obviously likes the warm and doesn't want to come out!

2. JANUARYMAN

JANUARYMAN Member

I'm no expert mate, but I have heard from the ladies in our band that spicy food works, but the very best way is a bit of........well you know, the thing that has got you to this point. Mind the head though.

All the best,
    Dr Dave

3. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Yup, tried those last night. Spicy foods making her throw up at the moment so thats out. And the other didn't work either! I am considering buying a small trampoline tho...........

4. brass journo

brass journo Member

OK Sharpy.

first let me make you feel no better by saying that my little boy was three weeks late!! generally they take their time and like to get you stressed!

However, the list of favourite ways to induce labour are:
    1. hot bath, hot curry, hot sex!!
    2. raspberry tea
    3. jasmine oil in a burner - jasmine is meant to help induce labour
    4. plan something really important as you can guarantee just when you go to do it the baby will decide to arrive!

I'm glad your baby is planned well and not before any major contest. Mine, with being 3 weeks late, eventually arrived 10 days before the Area and I still had to play top man (or woman!!). I;ve never seen a band panic so much in case I had a caesarean!

Anyway, the main thing is enjoy it, it's fantastic, relax and let baby take it in its stride, that way they'll be chilled out forever!!!

Best of luck and water births are great!!!

love to your wife

Tabby

5. markymark

markymark New Member

Our little bundle arrived 2 weeks late, due date was the Grand shield weekend 2003 so I couldn't play that year

some kind of herbal teas, hot spicy food, rumpy pumpy, jumping about and pineapple? are all supposed to work.

Mark & Nat
    www.ratbyband.co.uk

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I imagine some rousing brass band music would work.

Journey into Freedom
    Exodus

spring to mind.

Any others?

(A friend of mine is trying reflexolgy, foot tickling and pineapples at the moment - currently 7 days overdue...)

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I tried everything and LittleBabyBadger still had to be induced, hoovered and dragged out with forceps....sorry was that too graphic?
    However, my friend Laura who pops hers out in minutes, swears by real ale (and I mean real, none of your Tetley love-in-a-canoe rubbish, find a CAMRA pub).
    I think most other things have been mentioned already apart from clary sage oil on a hanky, which smells vile and might make her throw up instead.

Due dates are totally arbitrary anyway and they will mostly arrive in their own sweet time. Don't worry for at least another week.

Or you could try GrandadBadger's trick. While I was being born he found out a friend of theirs had just given birth to twins in the labour room down the corridor, so he went back to my Mum and said "are you having this baby or what? Eileen's had two already" I was ejected shortly afterwards and he still bears the scars...
    BMB
    xx

8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

My wife dragged herself to the areas, and a few days after hearing a few performances of PRAGUE!, out little Rebekah came hurtling out.
    The first time she actually kicked was at the RAH during Maquerade.
    Thinking about it, maybe it's time to get a certain little someone registered on TMP!

Good luck to you and your wife. I can assure you, from a dad's point of view, it is definitely worth the wait!

9. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Thanks for all the info guys! Still no sign of littleun yet but hopefully it wont be too long! Ill keep you all posted and if anyone comes up with anything else please let me know!!!!

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

A bass trombone concerto? Or I could let you into the uni laundry room... they have VERY dodgy washing machines in there...

Seriously though, good luck with it. And if it's your first... they're always late!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    little bundle of joy
    missus
    good tips
    point
    babies
  12. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Apparently Prostaglandins are what help women go into labour more effectively than anything else (it's a synthetic form they use when a woman is induced). These are naturally occuring hormones (hence why dancing the horizontal tango is supposed to help), but I am reliably informed that prostaglandins are more effective when administered orally. I will leave the rest up to your imaginations!!!

Puss

13. mad_female

mad_female Member

Hi

As resident TMP midwife this is a topic I can help with.

Raspberry leaf tea is best started from about 36 weeks.....bit late for that one.
    Fresh pineapple especially the woody part in the middle is good as it has lots of natural prostaglandins....ditto any other natural prostaglandins applied locally or orally (YOU CAN USE YOUR IMAGINATION).
    Nipple stimulation can sometimes help to get things going too.
    How accurate is the date your wife has been given? Does she have a regular 28 day cycle? is it longer or shorter? Is it a date worked out from a scan or her own dates all of these can affect wether or not baby is ready. First babies are notoriously late.
    One of the best ways to determine wether or not labour is imminent is to get your wife to ask the midwife to perform an internal and attempt a stretch and sweep....could be a little uncomfortable but it may help move things along.

At the end of the day junior will come when he or she is good and ready.

All the best

Rhian

14. Tell her you're having an affair with her sister?! :dunno:

15. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

or even worse.... her brother? tee hee

16. lololol.... or her mum.

ummm... *shuts up* Im just teasing... I'm sure you'll have a beautiful little baby as soon as the little un decides to pop put and say hello !! I watched my sister give birth to my beautiful niece Lauren almost 3 years ago now, and it still is the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed in my life!! Sobbed my heart out I did !!! She's the best thing that ever happened to me!!

But you could always tell her you're doing a runner with the neighbour too..... :roll: :lol:

17. skweeky

skweeky Member

what about a plunger?

18. Di

Di Active Member

Ditto. :)

My little treasure came 4 days late (and 10 days before the area, at which I played). Meant I was also able to play in the grand reunion concert the day after the due date tho, with a very nervous 2nd euph and 2nd bari. :p ;)

Don't think playing loud brass music to it will force it to make an appearance tho, just make it more comfortable. We found those lullaby jingly this hopeless at getting a certain little person off to sleep. Try finding a recording of the peices you've been rehearsing repeatedly recently. Coincidently, we had a tape of a band whose first two items were items that were on our programme for the grand concert. Worked a treat!

Your little bundle of joy will put in an appearance whenever it's ready and I hope you enjoy every minute! :p

19. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

I was ten days late with my first child and the thing that got me going was castor oil and fresh orange juice. Mix it up in a glass and swig it over in one gulp and wait................it does work. Don't worry you don't taste a thing apart from orange but be sure to take it in one go.

20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Wait until a major English sporting side is playing in an international final .Then your wife / partner and sprog will conspire to rob you of the opportunity to watch said event by going into labour. My youngest brother's (The next one down from Barry Toan) missus and daughter Eloise did the dirty on him during the Rugby world cup final 2003.

21. :lol: :lol: :lol: HAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    little bundle of joy
    missus
    good tips
    point
    babies