How do you get around?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mister 4x4, Jan 7, 2006.

How do you get around

1. Own your vehicle

36 vote(s)
  2. Ride with a friend

7 vote(s)
  3. Bus

14 vote(s)
  4. Train

10 vote(s)
  5. Taxi

1 vote(s)
  6. Walk

10 vote(s)
  7. Company Car

3 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

OK - so how do you do it? (Get to work, to rehearsal, to a gig, go out with your pals, etc.) Post pictures if you like as well.

I rode a bicycle throughout my school days (usually with Queen cranked up on my Walkman during the ride).

When I was stationed in Izmir, Turkey, I either walked or paid for a Taksi ride. Now and then, I rode the Air Force morale bus to and from the Recreation Park in Bayrakli, and an occasional tour bus to Cesme, Kusadasi, Ephesus, and Bodrum.

Ever since, I've owned at least one car - mostly because the mass-transportation systems have been less than adequate where I've lived. I know if I've ever lived in a major metro-area, I'd use mass-transit as much as possible... although I'd still have a car for those times to get out of town.

I've had a few of them over the years for various reasons - but never because one gave up on me. I've become quite the mechanic over time as well - and there's nothing I can't do to a car... funds providing.

Here's my daily driver - 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4. Takes me everywhere I need to go.

And here's my 'toy' - 1980 Jeep CJ-7 4x4. Takes me everywhere else... whether there's a proper road or not.

Finally, here's my wife's car (and the one I drive when gas becomes too expensive) - 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT.

So how does everybody else get around?
  2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

For me, it's my lovely little renault clio - It's about a year a half old and gets me from location to location. It only doesn't work if badgers run in front of you, and then it costs a lot of money and makes people (mummy and daddy and Caroline's insurance people) angry.

If somebody else has borrowed that (evil sisters for example) then I can be found cruising in:

The Kangoo - the spirit of chic.

Attached Files:

3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

For band I have my own personal driver. Also known as my mum :D For school I get a bus and walk. Anywhere else I get busses and lifts from parents or friends parents or walk :eek:
  4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

for college i walk to the train station, get a train, then walk to college from there..

for band rehearsals i rely on my parents for monday rehearsals, and trains and a lifts to get there and back on thursdays.
    youth band, i rely on my parents to drive me..
    anything else, depends where in the world it is! sometimes i get a lift from parents, sometimes train(s)

needless to say with me and my twin brother to taxi places, my parents cant wait til we're old enough to learn to drive.. i think they might be counting down the months..
  5. Di

Di Active Member

My little Hyundai Amica gets me and mine everywhere we have to go. It may be small, but I've never been beaten yet by everything I need to get in it. :) It will happily take 1 adult, 2 children, 1 horn, 1 baritone and a full piece drum kit. :)
  6. I get the bus to college unfortunately, but as I play in the same band as my big bro I get a lift with him!!
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I currently drive a golf TDI (time for sensible!!) but recently sold an MX5

My hubbie built - A Tiger (a Lotus 7 replica) we had fun on the track with that...

He sold it year before last to start his new project - an old mini with a R1 yamaha engine in the back - can't wait to get to the next track day in that!!!!!

Speed demon?...Nah

Attached Files:

8. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

There's an option missing from your poll.

I mostly get around in a company vehicle, currently a seriously pants pile of Italian junk!

My toy is a much more interesting Yamaha FZ6. It's faster in 3rd than the company car is in top :)
  9. Di

Di Active Member

There you go, try again. ;)
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

I walk to work as its 10 mins along the canal which is pretty in the morning.

I get picked up from the house for band.

I go everywhere else by train which is superb 90% of the time but when its bad its horrendous. I sponateously decided to go to Manchester yesterday after work and it took only 2 1/2 hrs and cost £21 return. Thats definitely quicker than doing it by car on Fri afternoon, probably cheaper and im even being environmentally considerate too.
  11. 1alexm

1alexm Member

my band secertery or conductor will will take me to the band room and either secertery, conductor or 1st baritone will take me home
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Have my own car but too expensive to get insured on it. So am insured on my parents and use that to get to band (160mi a week!). Get two buses to college (one to heathrow - hourly :eek:, one to kingston) and walk to work (a whole 4 minutes!)
  13. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I have a lovely Polo 1.4 TDI :biggrin:
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't drive, although my wife does and my son is learning. We don't have a car, although Jonathan has just bought one to restart his lessons.

Having never driven, I've always been reliant on public transport, and have fortunately always lived in places with a reasonable network of services. During the week, I walk to the station, train to London, bus or two tubes to Piccadilly, then walk to work. On the way home, the journey is reversed, except that on practice nights it is either a bus or taxi from the (different) station, the another bus to get home afterwards. Weekends it's a bus to and fro the hall for however many times we are out - usually twice on a Sunday, plus the occasional Saturday.
  15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Where's the option for cycling?! Living in Cambridge and not having a car.....or even a license, I cycle almost everywhere. If I go to London for rehearsals or whatever I either use the tube or get a lift.
  16. To an from work an college.. I rely on my personal chauferrrrrr (however ya spell it lol =]) mainly known as my mum lol... and as for band, I walk the many a mile... out of my back door, down my drive, turn left on the street, take about 10 steps, an walk in the door of the bandroom :) lol
  17. Tack7

Tack7 Member

To the right u mean. Thank god u dont drive, lol
  18. yes, alright, shush, ty
  19. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Ummm - well, technically, I guess you call it a vehicle. Just because it's not powered by an engine doesn't mean it gets you around any less efficiently.

Either that - or one of the Mods adds it as an option. :D
  20. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I need a car with my job, home visits etc.. But even if I didn't, I would still use the car. Can't remember the last time I went on a bus. And I think I took a train once when I went Christmas shopping (not this christmas just gone, previous one), to avoid the traffic/parking etc.

I only walk if I have too but I blame this on the public transport. They may run frequently, buses and trains, where I live, but you can't rely on them being on time, and a 15 mins journey by car to work, would take nearly an hour on the bus. I'm far too busy to add 1 1/2 hours to my working day!

I do admit to being somewhat lazy though, have driven the car to the shop just around the corner more times than I have walked. :oops: