How do you carry a Euphonium on a Motorbike?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by gargoyle_addict, Nov 2, 2005.

1. gargoyle_addict

gargoyle_addict New Member

didn't know where else to post this question, so here we go.

This is a serious question by the way. I'm getting a bike which will be my only mode of transport, and being heartily sick of hugging/lugging my euph on a bus and clouting old ladies inadvertantly (that and the south wales public transport system being as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot if you need to be somewhere at sometime), I'm trying to work out how the two go together.

I'm starting to look into the possibility of a trailer. I've thought about the back-pack-soft-case option but haven't found any insurers who don't require a hard case for the cover.

Any thoughts, experiences, help.....:confused:

Cheers

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Motorbike
    hard case
    pack-soft-case option
    south wales public transport system
    mode of transport
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What I have done in days gone by is convert an old framed rucksack, which is big enough to hold the case.

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

Would the "Gig" gig bag be any good, sort of a hard case inside a rucksack? Quite dear though.
    Can remember Eflat player at Wingates carrying Eb (in soft case) on his back, on a very small moped . Looked very odd, as he was a fair-sized lad!

5. flower girl

flower girl Member

Yeah, or a ritter case, they're like a gig bag but smaller, lighter and more compact. They're also alot cheaper

6. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

neil_glynn had his euph in a gig bag type thing that you wear like a backpack, at pontins! I tried it on and its very heavy :tongue: but i'm only little :tongue: think you should try summat like that! or change instruments!

7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

How do you carry a Euphonium on a Motorbike?

Lots of bungees ;)

8. Steve

Steve Active Member

I think everyone missed the part about insurance in soft cases!!!!! Only thing I can suggest is either a bag big enough for the hard case or lie to the insurance company, which could be tricky as I guess the claim on the euph would conveniently tie in with the claim on your bike!!

Just dont drop the bike mate

9. ju33les

ju33les Member

this won't be much help to you ......
    I once came off a Honda 90 when I was travelling pillion and there were 2 tenor horns strapped to the back of the bike with those stretch luggage things. And I was a lot littler then....

So, don't do it!!!!!:eek:

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

One of our Euph players would sometimes ride his bike to band. He lived by where my wife an I worked so he would drop off his horn to one of us and then pick it up the day after band.

Of course if you don't practise...you could just leave it in the bandroom ;)

11. ju33les

ju33les Member

DON'T PRACTICE>>>>?????!!!
    Perish the thought!!!!;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Motorbike
    hard case
    pack-soft-case option
    south wales public transport system
    mode of transport
  13. paddo

paddo Member

Don't go on a Motorbike........ it isn't exactly safe!

Practice.......... what's that!!!!!

14. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

i have a friend who takes his on a scooter - it's a band euph he has with quite a small case (by euph standards) and he just made sure his scooter had quite a long back bit to rest it on - then, as said above, lots of bungees! it helps if it's not your most precious thing ever, i'm sure... hope this helps though. drive safe
    xx

15. gargoyle_addict

gargoyle_addict New Member

Thanks for that guys,

Methinks a trailer is in order! It did also occur to me that if I was carrying it on my back in any fashion (bell up) and did fall off, the insurance might be irrelevant as I'd probably have a broken neck anyway....oh well. That and I don't really fancy riding with the additional weight strapped above my centre of gravity.

re lying to the insurers "how did you completely mangle your euph?" "Ummmm...pass"

Maybe I should see about a custom gadget that bolts on where the pillion seat and side panniers normally go.

hmmm. plots are afoot (with toes and everything)

16. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

Courtois euphoniums come as standard with a hard case that looks like a gig bag......it's a standard hard case, but it has a fabric covering and zipped closure.....it would probably be perfect for carrying a euph whilst on a motorbike as it also has two shoulder straps and can be worn as a backpack.

17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Trailer? TRAILER??

You'd be as well buying a four-wheeled sardine can (aka car).

Lay the euph* flat on the pillion seat as near to your backside as possible, and bungee it down. If it's close enough, you'll feel that it's still there, but never even notice the weight. Trust me on this....

*(Hard case, not gig bag - if you insist on a gig bag, you're on your own :wink: )

18. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Child carrier?? :confused:

20. NeilW

NeilW Member

I did lots of miles with my (old) euph strapped to the carriers of my various bikes. In its hard case secured with bungies. It usually lay along the pillion seat an over the rack.

I wouldn't recommend attaching it to you - even in a gig bag - as if you DO come off, a euph is a relatively hard lump of metal against your spine. I've certainly ended up sliding down the road on my back in the past...

Nowadays, I do sometimes tie my (current) euph to the boot rack of my car (when I've got 2 people, with luggage and instruments to carry - like up to whit fridays ;-) )

Neil.

21. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Possibly not the safest position to assume when driving a bike ;)

Wonder why :confused:

Pedantic? Moi?

22. NeilW

NeilW Member

OK, I missed a "t" out.

I actually never dropped a bike when I had an instrument on the back - oil from London busses contributed to my coming off most often, typically on wet roads in the centre of "town". I only did about 100,000 miles on bikes, so I'm quite a beginner really...