How do you attract new players?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Backrowmike, May 28, 2013.

1. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

I would like to use your collective experience on how to attract new players into banding?
    By new I mean non-players i.e. young people and the recently retired.
    I have several ideas myself, but would like to open it up to you, without influencing your posts.
    Thanks
    Mike:tup

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ThanksMike
    new players
    non-players
    new I
    tup
  3. pbirch

pbirch Member

why just the young and recently retired? I am not sure that they have any more time(or money for that matter) than the rest of us.
    I think that there is a need for qualified teachers of adults, with access to instruments, so that adult learners can wait to commit themselves to buying one of their own. Teaching adults is different to teaching children, and therefore peri's might not be best placed to do that. (charged at a reasonable rate, but not free! there has to be some value attached to the tuition)
    look for people who learned at school and then gave up at university, or when family and work became more important, and see if the time is right for them to take up music again to help with their work life balance.
    get employers involved, music might not be directly relevant to what they do, but being a musicians is the embodiment of life long learning, which is a desirable and transferable skill
    get people to see that music does have relevance to modern life, but that also means that the banding movement has to be relevant as well, for example, archaic styles of uniforms might have to be re-thought, and above all returning players or new learners need to feel welcomed within bands

just a few ideas to get things going

4. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

We have a recruitment open day once a year and invite potential players to come along and try. So far this has attracted 3 or 4 players each year (including myself 5 years ago - after 40+ years absence). Always worth a try.
    Good luck
    Ken

5. Don't charge subscriptions....

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

alternatively, you could charge a level of subs that ensures you're able to provide decent rehearsal facilities, equipment and music whilst also offering value for money....

If you're trying to attract beginners, the availability of instruments and cheap experienced tuition can make a band very attractive.
    I've seen open days work well - advertise it through all your local media, schools and any other clubs/centres you think might yield some interest, then open your doors for a few hours and give people the chance to try out some instruments themselves and to hear at least a small group from the band playing to give them an idea of what they could be doing in 1,2,6,12... months time.

Good luck!

7. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

How do you organise that Ken?

8. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

I started conducting a band for older players. We put it on in a church on weds Lunch Time. Advertised it in the local rag as a opportunity to learn, re-learn or start from scratch. Its been fairly succsefull upto now, music is kept at a playable leval and we have a bit of fun. Its good for me, gives me something different than kids to conduct and keeps me having to think about a different aspect to teaching. Some of the players are getting lessons and going to other bands as well. Its been a good thing. Mind you, I thought kids were hard work to take away!!!!!!

9. nethers

nethers Active Member

Don't forget in the 21st century the importance of the net. After I modernised the Dalewool website (which I am confident is the best band website in town!) we have had a steady stream of enquiries from players looking for somewhere to blow. Not all have worked out but we have a drummer and excellent tuba player who are now well committed members.

10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Free Tuition, Free Instrument Loan, No Subs, Only drawback? Sermon on Sunday!

11. nethers

nethers Active Member

Do they not pass the collection plate around at the SA? :biggrin:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ThanksMike
    new players
    non-players
    new I
    tup
  13. pbirch

pbirch Member

you know, I really don't believe that people are looking for something for nothing, except for some us within banding. time is valuable, tuition is valuable (especially if it is from a qualified teacher, and we really can't not require teachers to be qualified), what is given for nothing is perceived as having exactly the same value, nothing! we may get people to taster sessions or open days for that, but there will be no commitment beyond that.
    People do invest in their hobbies, the right sports kit or golf lessons, for example. music should be no different.

14. GordonH

GordonH Member

In Bathgate they have a wind band for adult learners.
    This has brought a few people in.

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/sitecontent/organisations/arts-culture/music/regalwindband

However, there are lots of returning players who perhaps gave up years ago and want to restart.
    Or players who play, but not in brass bands.
    Some of these have been recruited through non contesting bands or the B band idea which has less pressure and time commitment.

Where I live there are specific problems with brass band instruments not being taught in the local schools. Its all orchestral brass.

15. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

That sounds like a fair deal. You get ALL that and all you have to do is put up with an hour of gobbledygook Win Win situation!!!

16. GordonH

GordonH Member

Is that not what you get from conductors on a band night anyway?

17. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Ive known one or two!!!! One conductor I had the privilege of giving up valuable time for, listening to total waffle for a week only to find out he couldnt actually conduct the piece a few days before the contest, went on to conduct a major, Proffesional Orchestra on occasions.....The guy who replaced him and could actually do the job, without any clap trap, had a full time job and conducted in his spare time............funny old world!!!!

18. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

Hi Mike
    We book a venue in the centre of town - in our case the town hall. Advertising on our web site, local radio and local paper. For the event we have a selection of all instruments available and music plus as many band members as we can muster on a Saturday morning. We put on a presentation of band history, memorabilia, uniform and photos and free coffee and biscuits (donations invited) to attract browsing visitors. The band plays a short concert outside the venue to attract attention. Anyone passing through the doors is invited to blow any or all instruments - its amazing how many parents find they can blow a note and sometimes also join.

Following a previous comment, as a band we do not charge any subscriptions, instrument, music and all uniform is provided free to all players. Our band is self funded with all income from concerts etc used to cover operational costs.
    regards
    Ken
    http://www.ashbournetownband.co.uk

19. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Except that its the likes of me that teaches

20. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

Thanks Ken.