how do u get the "perfect" sound?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by perfect cadence, Jun 21, 2006.

1. how do you develop your sound so that its smooth an creamy but big and full at the same time? i practice loads but i can't get my sound the way i want it....... just wondered if any 1 would mind sharing their secret with me...... pleeeeaaaase xxx:biggrin:
  2. andyp

andyp Active Member

My teacher always used to say "blow down both sides of the instrument!!"
    Which on the face of it is an odd thing to say about what is basically a tube (ie round), but what it really means is that you need to fill all the tubing, not just down the middle which can make the sound thin+harsh.
    Plenty long note and breathing practice helps, a fuller sound needs more air to get the same volume. Most good tutor books have exercises in designed to improve breathing+sound too.
    A bigger mouthpiece may help but be very careful on this as it may make things worse, and it won't be an instant fix.

I have been told by a couple of people to blow like there is a raw egg in your mouth and you don't want to break it! This opens the air column in your throat & mouth to let more air through which then produces a rounder, bigger sound. It works! But practice on breathing and supporting the air with the diaphragm is the main thing.
  4. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Find a good teacher who will help you develop all areas of your playing and develop a good practice routine for you.

There will be some advice given on public forums (not just TMP) that may be given with the best intentions, but may end up only confusing the issue or just being plain wrong.

P.S No slur on the comments by andyp and CLAIRE SPONG intended here
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  5. Bungle

Bungle Member

I can only suggest what is recommend in the Wright and Round method book, play tunes (such as hymn tunes) very slowly with cres from pp and dim back down, every practice. Works for me and I have told I have a good tone. I also been told it also helps if you have a northern accent, as the way you talk affects your sound. ;) [puts on flame retardant suit]
  6. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

long notes and hymn tunes. I find buzzin mouthpiece also does it.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- in other words try to create the sense of width rather than projecting sound at a point in a room or hall. Think of a player's sound you like and try to emulate it. The closer you get, you might notice the physical changes that are needed to support the timbre and use that learning curve to help vary the sound for different styles and expression.
  8. SomeWeft

SomeWeft New Member

When I was first learning my teacher used to make me play sustained low notes (say, a G, in cornetspeak) going ever so slowly from pp to ff and back. I think it was supposed to make we put more air through and properly 'fill' the instrument.

I think it worked. I used to make a fair noise.

All the above sounds like good advice to me, best of luck with it.
  9. honestly ur accent affects ya sound???? i dnt wanna sound thick or owt but ive got a yorkshire accent..... whats that mean my sounds like?
  10. SomeWeft

SomeWeft New Member

I heard that too. It does sound silly to begin with, but apparently the Yorkshire vowel sounds make for a better 'ta' or 'tu' when playing.

11. dat mean al ava gud sound or what?
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thread moved to Rehearsal room.:)

Shall I translate? "Does that mean I'll have a good sound or not?" Can you please curb the text speak? It gets us old 'uns wound up and is against tMP's rules:

Ian - moderator.
  13. sorry "old uns" i will talk properly now...... is that better for you all?.......... there was HONESTLY no sarcasm intended there hehe
  14. SomeWeft

SomeWeft New Member

I think you've been a bit unfair moderator. I assumed that was playing up a mock Yorkshire accent for the lad from Glasgae, rather than text speak. In fact I'm Yorkshire too, I just got lost and they won't let me out.

And, by the way, I can't help noticing you seem to be using a smiley there yourself, aren't you?
  15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

That's how I took it too - but i was still very grateful for the translation!
  16. ys moderator...... UNFAIR..... hehe xxx
  17. sorry sorry sorry. by "ys" i meant "yes"
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- in defence of Ian's comments, the posts have to be written in plain English as the site is visited by viewers and contributors worldwide. Even the best online translators would struggle to make sense of local jargon and dialect. ;)
  19. RandomHornPlayer

RandomHornPlayer New Member

I think that listening can help devop sound, you will be influence by the players around you as well as whatever you try to do in your own practice.
    But peoples opinion can differ on the perfect sound. Theres a big difference between brass in a brass band, orchestra and big band - but getting what works for you in where you want to play is the main thing.

In short there is more than one 'perfect sound', in my opinion.

TIMBONE Active Member

Have a look at my comment on the thread "Volume Vs Quality".