How do they choose the test pieces for contests?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Llamedos, May 29, 2008.

1. Llamedos

Llamedos Member

I was just wondering,as it's getting near June 1st(the date I understand that the National Final Test pieces are announced,how are the pieces chosen? Are new pieces written especially or is there the remotest chance that we may be given a "cracking" old gem?? There are so many wonderful classic test pieces that many of us have heard over the years but maybe never had the chance to play.I for one hope that we get a classic-what about the rest of you??:)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    National Final Test
    wonderful classic test pieces
    National Final Test pieces
    new pieces written
    old gem
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Several elderly men met in a secret place where the door is guarded by a small wizened gnome wearing a red and scarlet cloak. After whispering the password (known only to the select few) and a strange manoeuvre of the left hand the gentlemen are ushered in. After following a dark and winding passage they find themselves at a locked solid oak door. The Leader fiddles with a complicated carving and clicks a hidden latch and the door slowly creaks open. Once inside these chaps seat themselves in various large wooden thrones placed around the room and a gnarled and bespectacled servant shuffles in pushing a 1970`s hostess trolley laden with bottles of whiskey and precious glasses.
    A gong is sounded and a large silver bag is produced containing hundreds of pieces of paper upon which are written the title of a Brass Band piece of Music. Solemnly one man stands and delves into the bag...
    "and the Test piece for the 3rd Section National Finals 2008 is...

"Hootenanny".

4. yank67

yank67 Member

Man, I wish I was in the 3rd section this year!

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Priceless!! :clap:

Putting cynicism (Which I devote a lot of time to elsewhere) aside and just considering the Albert hall for a moment, we had a new piece last year in Phillip Sparke's 'Battle Creek' and a hackneyed old chestnut the year before in Frank Wright's arrangement of 'Judges of the Secret Court' - so I'd guess it'd be something more old-school this year.

I'd sell my liver for a ticket if it was St Magnus though....

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Quite simple;
    They just pick 5 pieces of music for the bands to play and then announce them on 1st June 2008.
    Now what could be more simple than that

7. impycornet

impycornet Member

Thanks for your informed and in-depth answer Ian.:confused:

8. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Announce them on the 1st of April, it would simple to see it was an april's fool then.

I'm guessing there is a panel to decide these things. Anyone know of anyone who is on it. They must get a list of pieces nominated and choose from a selection of them.

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Thats right well done:clap:

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well i can only put in a reply like everyone else does why be:confused:
    Its only my opinion :tup

11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Being used at the Scottish Open in November so unlikely for London. Get yourself up to Perth for a listen.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    National Final Test
    wonderful classic test pieces
    National Final Test pieces
    new pieces written
    old gem
  13. Llamedos

Llamedos Member

Brilliant!!!!:clap:
    That's the best laugh I have had in ages!!!

14. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Aye and your posts are not only accepted but repeated, my jovial repost went the way of many others :confused:

15. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Each contest has it's own method. For the Nationals there is a panel. At the Durham association the previous years adjudicator normally suggests 4 pieces and the bands vote on them

16. Di

Di Active Member

As far as I can see, no posts have been removed. :) Sure you clicked submit? :confused:

17. steve butler

Yeh, but I must say my computer was doing strange things for a while.
    I kept getting stuck between screens, so ended up closing down and starting again, never mind it seems okay now, thanks for checking Di :tup

18. Di

Di Active Member

Ah right, thanks. Glad that's sorted. Just curious, as with Mike also asking in another thread "what happened to my post". Must be in the twilight zone. :eek:

19. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I have removed Ian's duplicate post.

back on topic now please ;)

20. steve butler

Topic?
    Ah, how do they choose test pieces?
    mmmmmmmmm
    No sorry this is not the right thread for me, much too deep.

A-Z test piece titles.... that sounds more my cup of tea :wink:

21. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You forgot the bit about making sure the pieces chosen have pleny of mistakes in both score and parts ;)

22. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

There's a Kapitol Promotions "music panel" - they decide for the Nationals and Regionals. I think (but don't know for certain) that Alan Hope is the Chairman, Richard Evans and Paul Hindmarsh are involved as well. Don't know the others. Publishers or individual composers can submit new pieces to them, or they have the option to pick and existing piece or commissioning something new.

For other contests (e.g. Open/Spring Festival, Pontins, Butlins) the organisers decide usually in conjunction with a "Music Advisor" of some description. The Masters used to do it by getting the bands to vote but I don't think that happens any more.