How do I recognise the bandleader?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bwriter, Aug 4, 2004.

1. bwriter

bwriter New Member

First of all, I know less about brass bands than George W Bush knows about politics.

Secondly, I once almost learned to play guitar. Y-A-W-N I hear you all say.

I am writing a novel in which a brass band leader is murdered.
    Question. How do the police know he is:

a) in a brass band (he is wearing his uniform but what, specifically about it would indicate a brass band)
    b) the leader of the band (assuming he doesn't have a baton about or in his person)

Any general hints, tips, jokes, funny stories about brass bands will be gratefull recieved and may even find their way into the novel.

bwriter :roll:
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well, if he's got more gold braid on his jacket than a drugged up drag queen you can be pretty sure he's in a brass bands... and if he still had a slightly smug, superior look on his face even after death, you could be pretty sure he's the conductor... :wink:
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

In some bands, the conductor goes for DJs - sometimes white, sometimes black. I know of one conductor who wears a different one for each half of a concert.

Many conductors seem to favour the formal appearance and may sport a dickie bow of large size and strange colour.

He'll probably have a thin white stick in his hand and no guide dog.

Our conductor is often the least formally dressed member of the band :shock: and is usually sweat-soaked by the end of the performance.
    Get the police to check under his arms! :twisted:
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

remember a conductor at the rncm who was getting particularly sweaty in a rehearsal, then took his jacket off and he had sweatted a smiley face on his shirt!!!! nipple sweat for eyes, and a big crescent ring just above his waistline :D
  5. mikelyons

I'm sorry, but that is just gross!!! :shock:
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

here's an idea (i have them now and then but not to often they tend to hurt) pop along to a few band practices and concerts, im sure there will be a local band around your area that could help you out.
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

8. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I was once in a particularly warm rehearsal and the conductor had serious sweat issues and splashed it about so much that my music went transparent.
  9. bwriter

bwriter New Member

How do I recognise a bandleader

Em, thanks to all who replied. But, to mikelyons: what are DJs?

10. mikelyons

Oh Dear :roll: Does your mum know you're on a grown ups forum?!

DJs means dinner jacket/evening dress, black tie, shiny shoes, black socks and no hat.
  11. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Feel sorry for me, in my concert band, we have really nasty 20s dixie band style waistcoats, they are maroon one side and yellow on the reverse. :wow

We start each concert maroon, and then second half we come on in yellow. There were plans to have reversible dicky bows (ie the opposite colour to our jackets each half) but we managed to avoid that fashion disaster!
  12. mikelyons

I'd have your MD checked for colour blindness. Sounds like he (and you) have a serious problem! :lol:
  13. jameshowell

I've been against the uniform for as long as i can remember, but al the old fogeys won't change it. At one point I almost convinced them to go jackets with the braiding and a little maroon on the collar and cuff, but they flat refused in favour of the aforementioned (disgusting) design. They are really uncomfortable and they cut into your underarms when you play, not to mention running the risk of getting you lynched when walking through town at night to your car from a gig!
  14. mikelyons

Couldn't you just persuade them to tone down the colour scheme? Or perhaps, if they really are old fogeys, it's the only way they can find them in the wardrobe these days! 8)
  15. jameshowell

The colour scheme one sounds pretty close to me! Lol! And surprise surprise, as you said originally, the bandmaster wears a white DJ, paired with big bow tie. How did you guess :lol:
  16. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

And for true examples of an MD's style - visit Harrogate Band - Mr. Mute will guide you further in the ways of sartorial elegance... :wink:

And for ideas on how to kill an MD go to Death In The Box - which will be continued when Big Twigge is back from whichever beach she's being lazy on!!!!

Rach x
  17. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

She's back - more Death in the Box please... ;)
  18. NeilW

NeilW Member

Watch the Midsomer Murders episode entitled "Death and Dreams" - the band's conductor gets killed off!

See below for the "really gross" uniforms :oops:

19. Power Tooba

Power Tooba Member

In my experience it's not generally common for brass band conductors to wear uniform, as already said its normally Dinner suits or just regular suits, so you may struggle here as he'd just look like a bloke in a suit. Military band conductors do normally were a uniform however and theirs is often more decorated than the rest of the band.

Maybe he could be carrying a business card? (Bit obvious i suppose)!
  20. Miss Presley

Miss Presley Member

That's a bit bland for you isn't it? What has hapened to the totally impossible, out of this world ridiculous, imagiative answer I have come to have expected from you?