How do I make my cornet shiney again??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Sep 5, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

My cornet has lost its shine :( Its a silver plated besson sovereign (its beautiful!!)

I've just cleaned and its shiney now BUT it never stays shiney for long :( and also inside my bell theres this black stuff that doesn't look attractive :(

Can I use peek silver cleaning stuff to make it shiney?? or is there summat else you think is better??

Fi
    xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fixx
    peek silver
    black stuff
    silver plated besson sovereign
    cornet shiney
  3. you should never use an abrasive silver polish (the equivalent of Brasso) on a modern silver plated instrument. It is far too harsh, will remove the protective coating and ultimatly the very thin plating. Although these will give good results initiallly, use of one of these will prevent the cornet from ever looking good in the long term.

The correct way to polish them is by washing in luke warm soapy water, and then drying thorougly with a dry cloth. In between a silver cloth (lint free cloth inpregnated with chemicals, and available at most supermarkets) is good for removing grime from the hands, or for a last minute polish before going on stage. These cost a couple of quid and can be easily kept in the case.

If the cornet is stained, you can buy an excellent product, again from supermarkets and the like, called Goddards foaming silver cleaner, which comes in a yoghurt sized pot. You wipe it on with a wet sponge, wash off with like warm water and dry with a cloth.

Foaming silver cleaner is excellent for this, but do not use one of the other metal polishs. If the cornet is reasonably clean to start with, and just wants a shining, then by far the best thing in the long and short term is warm soapy water

Steve
    burbage band (Buxton):)

4. meandmycornet

right hmmm guna have to get some of that foaming jollop then! its got a nice stain on the inside of the bell which hasn't come off after a 30 minute soaking in warm water with steredants in (tried and tested cleaning method :tongue: ) soooo i'll get mum to buy me some at some point!

5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I've bathed my euph in warm soappy water, twice, and it hasnt made much of a difference. It's lost its sparkle and i cant get it back :(

6. meandmycornet

My cornet is all sparkley now :D just left it a while and polished it up with a dry towel! Kelly try putting steredants in the warm water in stead of soap, it really works and gets all the grime out aswell!

7. persins

persins Member

Don't forget to pour milk down it after cleaning it to get that dark sound back again!!

8. meandmycornet

Milk?? you serious?? :tongue: it would smell yuck though!

9. Di

Di Active Member

This stuff is brilliant, better than the old fashioned duraglit, as it washes off under running water instead of trying to those last bits off in the awkward to get to places and leaves a brilliant shine. :tup:tup

You soaked it steredent???? :confused::eek:

10. meandmycornet

Yes mumsie I did! You know them tablet things that you soak you dentures in! I use the extra strong ones :tongue:

Don't ask me how my mother found out they work BUT its how she's alwaaaaaaaaays cleaned her horn and its never done that any damage! Its 30 odd year old and its still lovely! and steredants get all the yucky grime out :D

11. Di

Di Active Member

Cripes. I've never heard of that one. I remember many many many moons ago, when we were young and naive someone telling us to soak a mouthpiece in milton to clean it out and get rid of all the bugs. :mad::mad: Took the shine right off it and made it go all dull and black. :mad:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fixx
    peek silver
    black stuff
    silver plated besson sovereign
    cornet shiney
  13. NeilW

NeilW Member

From what I remember (and my memories not what it used to be!) silver polish is primarily ammonia with a very mild abrasive. (I certainly "refresh" my Goddard's Long term polish from time to time with a spoonful!)

Dilute ammonia on its own ought to clean without abrading when used with a soft cloth.

For "repolishing" (removing the patina) something like jewlers "rouge" could be used, but it definately IS abrasive, and WILL remove plate so should probably be left to a professional metal polisher.

[Edit} Ammonia DOES remove silver oxide, but removes the silver, thus thinning the plate which might not be a good idea when done often.

However, on http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/precious.html there's the recipe:
    "Find a plastic bowl, about 5-gallon capacity is normally plenty. The size needs to be enough to cover the silverware you are cleaning, fill with hot water, the hotter the better, add 2 tablespoons of sodium bicarbonate, (regular household baking soda)and 2 tablespoons of salt, stir it well, put a decent sized piece of aluminum foil in the bottom, place your silverware into the solution, standing on the aluminum. Now watch the oxidation disappear."
    What I don't know is whether its any good at removing the grease/oil from players hands.... Might be worth trying on something small (mouthpiece maybe?) first.

Neil.

14. flower girl

flower girl Member

what i did n it worked really well was, poured some valve oil onto a cloth and rubbed it in. it stayed shiney for about 2 months, so i just kept reapplying it.