How Do i Delete or Edit My Thread!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by cornetdom, Feb 24, 2009.

1. cornetdom

cornetdom Member

How do i delete or edit the post in Recruitment cornet called
    1 cornet player looking for 1 section band
    or can someone close it

2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

If you have a good reason to edit or delete a thread, you can explain it to the moderators in a personal message, and ask them to do it.
    That's the only way how, I'm afraid...

3. Columbo

Columbo Member

Perhaps you should have thought this through Dominic. People on here are always willing to help and have useful discussions. I went to a lot of effort you earlier to help. Banding is a respectful pastime and perhaps you should take that on board. Consider this as friendly advice. MOD:- genuine friendly advice.

4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

the secret is think before you post but it is easy said then done. But it always seems agood idea to get something off your chest after a few strong alcoholic drinks!!!

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Just thinking that I should point out to anyone reading this, that the reason the edit post timeout is set at 5 minutes is because we have had many incidents of people editing their posts after a message had been posted within it from a member of the tMP team; either by removing said comments, or by amending said comments to mean the opposite of what was posted. Clearly not an acceptable thing to do.

I appreciate it's a pain in the bum not to be able to edit ones posts, especially after - as Stella mentions - a good night out on the raz... but unfortunately there's always the small minority who are happy to go ahead and spoil it for the vast majority.

Having said that, it might be time we reconsider our policy on this, I'll bring it up in our mods section, how's that? :tup

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Just to follow up - I received a PM from cornetdom requesting that the thread in question be closed, and I have done so.

7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Go steady on the young fella, i think he made a slightly nieve mistake and is trying to sort it out. We've all been there surely. . .

8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I was a member of a MB where a member was banned. A. N. Other member then wreaked havoc by deleting threads/ posts from threads in protest. Then she discovered why the troll was kicked out - and apologised (with great embarrassment) for ferking up many otherwise sensible threads....

I've been guilty of posting 'under the influence' - who hasn't? (Don't answer that....) (And I hope I haven't caused offence to anyone... :redface: ) There was never any malicious intent. Misguided (beer-driven) humour, mayhap...:rolleyes:

Serious bit: If there's a way - with current s/w - of allowing an edit up to the time that another post is made, or a post is quoted, I'd go with it - 'morning after' hindsight is a wonderful thing...;)

And newby naivety may well be a justifiable excuse for mods to delete a thread (on request) when someone unknowingly oversteps the mark, and maybe then regrets it...

(PS BTW, I've got no idea what the original post by cornetdom said, and I don't care :biggrin: : he/she/it is new and was ignorant of the modus vivendi *)

* rools, peeps...;)

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Agreed, people deleting quoted sections of threads can certainly wreak havoc in it, and makes it almost unreadable. This hasn't really been an issue for us though thankfully.

I guess we all have, but we normally remove any offensive comments that are made such that most people won't see them...;) In this way we feel that the members are somewhat protected from any antics from the night before... :):). We're not trying to be heroic here, but we do feel that this is the best way. We don't normally make a song and dance (excuse the pun!!) of any comments that we feel were made with the assistance of alcohol, merely remove them. It's worked best so far.

Great suggestion FlugelD, fabulous actually. I don't think there's a way I can configure the software to do this... well not easily I'm afraid, though I will look into it. I am also going to make a suggestion to the software owners that this could be a feature request/enhancement. Thanks for this... great thinking.

Just a reminder, the main reason we have the 5 minute editing time is because several members thought it right to amend their thread after a member of the team had already made a comment within it, or had already removed an offensive comment from it. Several members saw fit to reinstate their offensive comments, and ignore the requests of the team et al. Not right, I am sure you'll agree.