How did you start playing?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, May 12, 2004.

?

Did you start playing in

1. School?

88.0%
  2. Private lessons?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Beginners group/youth band attached to an "adult band"?

6.0%
  4. Beginners group/youth band unattached to any other band)

2.0%
  5. Taught by a relative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other - please specify

4.0%
  1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

Just out of interest how did you start playing? Did you join the local band or youth band, get private lessons, or maybe in school?

Me, I started playing in the beginners group for the local brass! :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    interest
    All
    lessons
    band
    brass
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I actually joined our marching band on baritone, just to get into the the (american) football games at our high (secondary) school games for free. :)

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Voted for option 3, although option 2 could also apply. My father was a professional musician, so I was "playing" almost as soon as I could blow into a mouthpiece. My first real experience was in the music program at the local SA corps when I was about 7, where we had private lessons alternating with group lessons (on a weekly basis). Didn't play at school until I was 11, and already playing with the senior band at the corps.

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I started with private piano lessons when I was 6...
    Learnt various guitars at home between the ages of 8 and 15...
    Clarinet when I was 12... Saxophone and flute at 15... (self-taught)
    Drums and Percussion (self-taught) at 16 1/2 (then joined a band 4 months later)
    Brass when I was 17 1/2

;-)

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

School, when I was young and impressionable... I didn't know what a trombone was, or what it sounded like, but I sure as hell wanted one!

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think you could do with another option for those who were taught by family members, as that was how I started. My Dad taught me the basics on both woodwind and brass, and I only had a few professional lessons when I was looking at doing my Gade 6 on sax (never took it, as we moved in the meantime and the Music A-level course for which I needed it had to go by the wayside :oops: )

8. I was first taught to play when I was 7 at the Salvation Army and later joined the junior band. I then started lessons at school and played with the school bands. And now I play in the Army senior band and help out at my school's various bands.
    The army taught me the basics but school and my brass tutor helped me develop further as a player.

9. jpbray

jpbray Member

Late starter; I did not start playing till I was 44. I was on the way home, on the coach from a youth contest, where my son was playing. One of the old lags in the band said I would make a fine tuba player. :? OK!! After much remonstrating about being tone deaf etc. my wife bless her, dared me to have ago, so I did. I am now competing in the fourth section with Newport Borough Brass, and enjoying every minute. :) :roll:

10. missflugel

missflugel Member

I didnt start with any of the options available in the poll. I was bored in the holidays one year and my friend took me along to the local band, I was given a cornet and 2 weeks later I was sat in with the band.

Jo x

11. jambo

jambo Member

I was crawling about in the loft when I was 10 and found my dads old trumpet so i asked him what it was....

A week later the conductor of the local band came and started giving me lessons. Never looked back since. :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    interest
    All
    lessons
    band
    brass
  13. Dave1

Dave1 Member

The conductor of the local band was also my school teacher so I started off with lessons from him at school and then into the band itself.
    Loved every minute of it and owe this teacher a debt of thanks for puting up with me for so long. :lol:

14. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

In May-ish 1995, when I was 7, I started off with a few lessons from my neighbour who was a member of the band, and started going to beginners a few weeks later. I took part in a few of the "easier" summer engagements with the band on third cornet, and later took part in all of the Christmas concerts, so I guess that was when I eventually joined the band...I did my first contest in March 1996! :D

15. Despot

Despot Member

I actually thought I had put "other" on the poll, but it didn't come out! Never seem to get these polls right! :D

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've taken the liberty of adding two more categories - one for relatives teaching and one for "Other".

17. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Started at School, was 3rd reserve when they dished out instruments, and was playing 3 weeks later.

18. andyp

andyp Active Member

According to my mum, I saw a band in a procession one day (she thinks it was Leyland Motors, as they were then) and told her (aged 6) I wanted to play "a trumpet" :oops: . One of our neighbours was the solo euph of Eccleston at the time, got me involved with the junior band, and best part of thirty years later I'm still here.

19. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Got a brass instrument at secondary school after having played recorder for years and clarinet also. Our school didn't have enough woodwind slots for all the people who wanted them so a bunch of us took up brass instruments and then joined the local band. I have put down school for this since I would never have joined a band without the teacher at school telling me about it (I had never heard of brass bands before that... but was converted to the cause almost immediately).
    Since then I have only gone through very short periods of not playing in a band.

Anyway, I digress.. my answer is SCHOOL!

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I started with school and then very soon packed it in. It wasn't till a few years later a friend of my dad got me involved in the local band (Hartshead Brass) cos he heard i had a cornet going rusty.

21. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Started on trumpet (foul instrument :oops: ) at primary school when i was 10 i think.

Any excuse was needed to get out of maths lessons! :p
    Best thing i ever did! :D

22. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I LOVE MY TRUMPET!!! ;-)

By the way, where's wonkybaton these days, I want to torment him with constant references to French horns! ;-) :lol: