How did you find your current band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Nov 18, 2011.

?

How did you join your band?

1. Moved from Junior/Training

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Friend/family already at the band

27 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. Listened to the band at a concert/contest and asked if you could join

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Depped with the band and was then asked to join permanently

24 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Answered advert in banding press

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Answered advert in local press

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Answered advert on tMp

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. Answered advert on 4BarsRest

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. Heard of a vacancy through the banding grapevine (word of mouth)

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. Approached directly by the band - poached :-)

18 vote(s)
    12.9%
  11. Other...

39 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Simple question, how did you come to join your current band?
    (or previous band if your not with a band at present)

2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I happened to bump into a chap one day who I'd known in my youth/ music centre days, he asked if I was still playing etc and invited me down to the band. Been there ever since.

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Left one band and took a break from banding. Depped around for a while, fell into a non-playing situation. Then had a message from an old mate I'd played with at a former band, went down for a blow, signed a transfer form, so far haven't been sacked......

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Nice thread Steve, I think I know what you've been reading...

I came back from university looking to join the best band in the area - I'd just spent 3 years registered with the university band, resisting offers to sign with a local championship section band with whom I very regularly depped (who were then of British Open standard); after all that abstinence, I wanted to take the opportunity to jump as high up the chain as I could. There were four of similar standard at a similar distance from where I then lived, but Kidlington were quickest off the mark, had a notably good atmosphere, and could provide transport in the shape of a good friend. A complicated decision became simple quickly.

5. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

1st band - Burbage, as a junior, my dad knew someone who used to play and recommended them to me
    after that, either from 4br or on tmp, but its never been long term.
    now I don't play anymore,

6. blue juice

blue juice Member

Was playing with a youth band who's conductor was principal euph at my current band. Was asked to go down when a vacancy came up and enjoyed it so much that I'm still there now.

7. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Found an ad in an ancient copy of the BB which I had been lent......months out of date but they still had a vacancy. That was 1998 and I'm still there having moved from 2nd to solo trom, Eb bass, bumper euph and currently bass trombone

8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I saw a list of the kind of pieces Battle were working on on their Facebook group page and it looked like great fun repertoire. I messaged the conductor to ask if I could pop along for a one off rehearsal... and never left!

9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Went to first proper senior contesting band (Old 2nd Section) when schools band friend suggested it.(14yrs old)
    Stayed 3yrs but helped out another 5 yrs

Applied to 2nd Sen Contesting Band (Champ Section) for employment opportunity.(17yrs old).
    Worked out well stayed 8yrs

Gave up banding for 18yrs.

Asked to join 3rd Band (Champ/1st Section) by old mate (43yrs old)
    Stayed with 3rd band 20 yrs ~ now retired.

Good memories,

- Mr Wilx

10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Was asked by my Brother to join my first band.
    Took a few years off
    Then asked by my Brother again, who had moved on to join the next band.
    Took a few years off.
    Sent an email to one of my mates in a band, asking if they needed a player.
    Been there since, nearly 10 years now.
    In a role reversal, ask my Brother to join. He did, and has since moved on again.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    question
    band
    current band
    previous band
    Simple question
  12. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Received a 'phone call from conductor... his School band (soon to be Community Band) needed a flugel player for Christmas concert - could I help?

Wasn't playing, so said yes. Then got really sh!tty cold, and missed concert.

To make up, agreed to do the Scottish Championships the following February.

16 or so years later, still there, and still on flugel...

13. ringa

ringa Member

was snapped off with poor rehearsal no.s, no resident conductor and was gonna hang trumpet up
    saw a conductor at BIC last year who had been our pro conductor at WACB who asked if it was true I was packing in playing.
    i said yes, and he asked if I'd go to felling for a blow. Best thing that ever happened. I'm in a set up of great musicians, great pals, and a wonderful horn section:D

14. bbg

bbg Member

Had a fairly long break from playing after leaving the SA (amicably - travelling distance was a problem from where I got moved to with work at the time), and indeed didn't think I'd ever find myself playing outhwith that movement for a long time.
    Moved up to Perth 17 years ago, my son was offered brass tuition at school and played trumpet at school / local festival levels for a bit before catching the percussion bug in third year at High School. His teacher recommended him to Perthshire Youth, I went along as a parent driver / audience member / can shaker......then once it became known I was an ex-bander I was invited to join Grant in Perthshire Brass just over 10 years ago now. Loving every minute, a great group of folks with an enthusiastic and talented Youth Band set-up providing a steady stream of senior band players.

15. jameshhjh

jameshhjh New Member

I moved into the area, looked around the web for various local bands and they were the only ones that got back to me!

16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Started the band a few years ago with my father-in-law for a tour, then kept it going for a contest, then a festival performance, it's now 4-years old and becoming a year-round group.

17. Mark Time

Mark Time New Member

Current band - answered 4barsrest advert for Dinnington training band and took my daughter along. When she was promoted to senior band I took up playing again too after a long break.
    First band - Brodsworth Colliery junior band (dad was a miner there so naturally that's where I started).

18. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

The last band i played in, I actually answered a small classified ad in the local paper as i was new to the area, and new nothing and no-one to do with bands in the area. Stayed with them for 10 years until.......

The band i am currently with, i heard of a vacancy for a conductor through word of mouth and have been there for just over a year now.

Sadly can only vote once, so opted for the classified ad of the last band i played in.

19. Owen S

Owen S Member

I voted "Other", and I think the number of "other" votes is a sign of a pretty unsuitable set of poll options.

Players these days move to a new area and then just search the web for the contact details for local bands of the right standard. For years, most of Egham's new players have arrived via our website.

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Used to play with the band some years ago ;
    After the previous band no longer wanting my services having been sent a very nasty email from them when they knew my position as regarding my work and said that was fine when i joined them !!!!!:mad:
    Contacted the band im with now and do contests for them only which is appreciated by them as well:clap:

21. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Its interesting to note that the poll results show a great deal of bands have attracted members because of family ties to the band. Perhaps this is why bands in certain areas are dying, only so many people in the gene pool so to speak ;)

I recently moved back to the North East and joined my hometown band because of family ties. Band before that I joined because someone asked me to go for a blow and somehow I got asked back :biggrin:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    question
    band
    current band
    previous band
    Simple question