How Deep is your bass?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

OK Folks, Follow this:

Some of you may know that I lost my Sat Nav/PDA at Blackpool the other weekend. I couldn't find it anywhere. The last I remember seeing it, I was looking for a route to the winter Gardens from Blackpool Brass' bandroom. It was nowhere. I thought it might have fallen into a bag or box and been carted off to our bandroom after the contest, but no. I told the police, but had not yet cancelled all my cards/informed my contacts.

Thankfully, the PDA has now turned up. Here's the story:

It must have fallen into my bass in the bandroom. It was so far down the bell that I couldn't see it. I have turned my bass upside down loads of times this week and stood it on the bell. I have played it every day for at least an hour.

Tonight, after school band, I put my bass down (in its case) outside the music room while I shut the door. I dropped it a bit heavily as it slipped out of my hand and when it landed I heard an odd thump. Worried in case I'd damaged it somehow, I opened the case and there, nestled in the bell was the PDA. It had been in there all the time! It made no difference to my sound - but may have been responsible for my ultra-quiet entry at Blackpool!

Thanks to everyone who lost an eye looking for it!:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Fantastic story mike! Glad you've found it, must be a relief to have it back. :clap:

* trots off to the caption competition. * ;)
  3. wkt

wkt Member

I thought you were going to say it found its own way home! Good news story.:clap:
  4. lilz

lilz Member

tMP always manages to make me smile :D
    congrats btw....
    ive lost my laptop, dont think its in my horn however
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

You're not with the Ministry Of Defence are you? ;)
  6. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

We've all heard stories about sat/navs that send you down cul-de-sacs and onto railway lines, but to have one that can't find it's way out of a tuba...:confused:
  7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Shades of Cyril Suckling going loopy when he found a glass coke bottle rammed solid around the fourth bend from the bell of his Bb Bass.......
  8. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

A friend of mine lost his sunglasses one year, at the Durham miners Gala. They didn't turn up until the following years gala and had been lodged inside his bass the whole time!

10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Were we drunk, I honestly cant remember :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
  11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I wish I had that excuse!:oops:
  12. Alisop

Alisop Member

I thought this thread was a new version of the Take That song 'How deep is your Love'. Now i've got that song stucck in my head!
  13. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Calling Paul P - haven't you got something you'd like to contribute to this thread? :p:p
  14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

" the fourth valve, turn right....."
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Classic Mike, glad it turned up.

Where did you get it incidentally? Don't tell found it??? :rolleyes: :biggrin:
  16. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Great when things turn up like that. Nice one Mike!!
  17. MartinT

MartinT Member

Back last November, soon after we'd had the Area test piece handed out, I left it on my stand (I thought) while I went round the band with the "tick sheet" for engagements. Got back to my stand - music not there. Talked to The Fish - he hadn't seen it. Bandmaster on my right playing 3rd cornet - didn't seem to have got mixed up with her paperwork. Horn section hadn't seen it on the floor by their feet... Mystery!

A couple of weeks later, we're doing the afternoon rehearsal for our Christmas concert - some other section being rehearsed, the basses are idle. Sitting there with my instrument on its bottom bow, I idly look down the bell... Hmm, piece of paper down there, what can it... Oops!:redface:

Amazingly, it had only got slightly damp. Good thing I found it then, though, as we started outdoor carolling engagements the following week!:eek:
  18. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

This reminds of something my mate did....

Wife: Honey, can I borrow the sat nav today?
    Mate: (s**t, I wanna use it, hide it!) Sorry, love, I've lost the b****r. (hehehe)
    Wife: Ok, well seeing as though we are going to band tonight I'll take the instruments

19. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

So it wasn't just me then..........although showing my age I was thinking more of the Bee Gees!:oops: :lol:
  20. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

One of our youth band baritone players was having difficulty with his instrument and we couldn't find anything wrong with it. It was bathed and pulled through with brushes and still no improvement. Lots of head scratching etc., until during practice one day it produced a loud rattling sound and when rotated, two AA batteries fell out!! When he returned home and told his parents, his little brother admitted to putting the batteries in it to see if it would work and when he couldn't get them out thought it was best to keep quiet about it!! What a little sweetheart!