How daring are the birds near you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Aug 8, 2006.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

No, I'm not referring to the women in your area cos if you're from Birmingham they're mostly shot putters and there's no contest there is there? Joke!!! Sheesh! :rolleyes:
    I'm meaning the feathered variety.

I was recently on holiday in Hayle in Cornwall and had bbq'd a load of different meat for tea, and on cutting open some of the pork kebab I'd cooked I noticed some of it was a bit pink in the middle cos they were quite large pieces of pork, so I took it back out to the bbq (we'd laid all the salad and bread out on the table in the caravan for us to pick from and then go eat outside) to cook it some more.
    There must have been a dozen or so fairly sizeable chunks of pork and the bbq was just about perfect cooking temperature, you couldn't get your hand near it without getting burned it was that hot, I'd had to use the tongs, but no sooner had I gone back inside to pack up my plate with salad and stuff one of the kids said they has seen a seagull flying off with a piece of meat.
    Naturally i thought he was having me on, but I looked out the window and saw a flock of the bleeding things all going bonkers by the bbq, so i dashed outside and the cheeky sods had stripped the bbq of every bit of pork there had been on it.

I suppose they kind of deserved it for braving that intense heat, I'm surprised they weren't flying off in flames! I couldn't quite believe my eyes!
    I mean I've heard of them taking chips and Ice cream out of peoples hands before, but stripping a bbq?? Blimey. Seagulls are obviously trained by the para's these days. Whatever next?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Never trust a seagull. Didn't know they had asbestos beaks though....
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

We have a robin in our garden who seems to know we are watching him/her but doesn't fly away. As soon as one of us makes a move from inside the kitchen then off she goes!!
  4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Seagulls are *expletive expletive expletive* horrible things!!
    Your story doesnt surprise me, but it does make me laugh!

The seagulls in exmouth surround the kebab shop at 2 am. It's a nightmare, i swear they would actually go inside if it wasn't full of drunken marines! (that would probably eat them if they tried! ;) )

as for seagulls in cornwall. Half of it is down to the *stupud* emmits feeding them.
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm not sure I'd go that far - I love to watch and listen to them. You just have to protect your food while you are eating it though otherwise they'll have it away!

I'll go along with this though - deep fried chips can't be good for them! I'd also suggest that you don't throw litter around either, because they can get food from that too. Not littering should be just common sense, and having a respect for the environment, although judging by the amount of rubbish on our streets I don't think there are many sensible environmentally conscious people around :mad:
  6. sugarandspice

They are vermin!!

Its not just a case of dont throw litter around, the horrible things will go in the bins if they can!
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'd rather have seagulls than pigeons any day! Although they probably don't taste as nice ;)
  8. sugarandspice

Try living by the sea for more than just a holidays length of time!

They dive bomb you, i swear they do. happily walkign down the street and they attack you. Grrr horrible things! I'm not cruel to animals i promise but i do think seagulls should be shot!
  9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I've got a pheasant that comes into my garden that I can hand feed! How's that for brave? Me, not the pheasant. :)
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Wow! I wonder if he will still do that after Saturday (the Glorious Twelfth!) ;)
  11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Good job it was not any of our super sausages
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The seagulls that feed in my mum's garden scare the cats to get the titbits! :eek:
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We have a Blackbird who (and I swear this is true) sunbathes in our back garden. I first noticed it when the heat wave started, lying on it's belly with it's wings spread in the middle of the back lawn. Naturally I thought it was dead, so went out to remove the body when it moved (although I wasn't very close it still gave me a flippin' heart attack). It comes back quite often whenever it is sunny and will happily lie there about 10-15 feet away from us. If you get any closer it hops to its feet and flys off. If I see it again I'll get a piccy of it.

I've also seen a gang of the local Magpies attacking one of the neighbours cats, but I'm told this isn't unusual with Magpies.

Craf, you might want to hunt the web for a recipe for Seagull steak (I bet there is one!). You never know one of them might get a bit too close one day :D
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There is a bird that needs identified that regularly visits my mum's garden and I'm sure it's from other shores. Similar looking to a raven or crow but has a silver-grey plumage on neck. Any ideas? :confused:
  15. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Sounds like a jackdaw to me.
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

you can hear it? Blimey that's clever.

Oh I see.... :rolleyes:

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- thanks for that, I do believe you're right! :cool: :tup Strange how I have never seen them around my locality before!
  18. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Badum-tish! :clap:
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well he survived from last year. You can see a shotgun pellet still embedded in his foot and a scar on his head.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I thought seagulls were a protected species under UK law?

post-edit:- I thought so!
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2006