How commited are your band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by critic, Feb 12, 2006.

1. critic

critic Member

Over the last few weeks ive heard many players saying that half of there band wants to progress the other half just content to roll along as they are.If thats the case i suggest your band is going nowhere.Whats the answer?
  2. piston

piston Member

It is the case, been in two bands and less than half were committed and trust they will never go anywhere decent. Class bands need heroic times of practice simple as.
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I have to say Marsden are extremely commited, perhaps one of the most commited bands I've ever played in.
    They don't mind putting the hard work, there are never any complaints when practices go on past the finish time and they are always up to doing contests and all the extra home practice that's needed.
  4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I would say the same about Flixton :biggrin::tup
  5. Cornishwomble

Perhaps it's no coincedence that both bands have had good results lately then :cool:
  6. MickM

MickM Member

The formula is really simple:-

BAND (GROUP) noun [C]
    a group of people who share the same interests or beliefs, or who have joined together for a special purpose:

...........and it works!
  7. Cornishwomble

Totally agree which is why I just can't understand people who go to practice and moan and whinge every time they are told a job is coming up and also sit throughout the practice looking like they'd rather be somewhere else. I've heard the argument that it's only a hobby, but surely hobbies are something you do to enjoy yourself and pass your free time
  8. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

However, although I agree that bands all need to have the same aim, the level of committment is judged by different criteria by some.

For some people it will be practising the part until its damn near perfect and making every rehearsal, for others (with stressful jobs and families etc), a high level of committment might be making as many rehearsals as possible and taking a bit longer to learn their part. Neither one of these situations produces a player that is MORE committed than the other, I would say.

I think that there is a level to which every band can achieve, and this is as individual as the circumstances of each of the members of the band, but do you know what? If you truly are a 'band' then everyone works together to overcome any difficulties....

There is no such thing as a band who have 'stood still'....
  9. flower girl

flower girl Member

One of the bands i'm with are committed and it really shows in their performance. However the other isn't which has resulted in myself also being in a cant be bothered frame of mind.

TIMBONE Active Member

Commitment comes from the top. An MD who tells you that you are not there to win contests, you are there to play your best. When our MD took over nearly two years ago, I found rehearsals difficult for selfish reasons. As a smoker, I didn't like rehearsing without a break, and going over time. Now however, it does not bother me at all. Commitment is psycological.
  11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Our lot should all be committed. We're all mad I tells ye..... :)
  12. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

Our lot seem committed and keen to move forward but havn't quite grasped the concept of attending rehearsals!!!
  13. cornetplayer1

cornetplayer1 Member

exactly, I have played with a couple of bands who have very committed players and have achieved a lot, but now i am playing with a band who have sometimes serious commitment problems from the players. I could never understand before how players could turn up look board through the whole rehearsal and be constantly looking at the clock, now however i do understand, when you have half a band turning up week in week out it is so disheartening, you sit there learn the music then when the other players finally decide to turn up you have to start all over again! How infuriating, not to mention time wasting!
    I have never really stayed in one band for too long, but the band im with at the moment I want to stay at, the way i see it is that i turn up regularly and play the best i can and hopefully we can get some more players who have the same kind of mentality and commitment.
  14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Remember to be careful when questioning peoples committment. 100% committment to one person is non stop practice and work for the band then rehearsing 5 times a week before a contest whereas for the person next to them it is as much as they can do outside looking after their huge family, doing their 2 jobs etc etc

Also remember that every band is full of players of varying levels of previous sucess and I dont think its fair to question an older member (generalisation, sorry) who has committed years of their life previously and now does it purely for the love of music making.
  15. cornetplayer1

cornetplayer1 Member

I completely agree, if a bandsperson has got family and work commitments then its understandable that there band commitment isn’t going to be the same as someone who doesn’t have such ties. The problem lies with the people who don’t have such commitments and still don’t turn up or use 'work commitments' as an excuse to get out of band!
  16. Steve

Steve Active Member

The word excuse being the key. There is a vast difference between a reason and an excuse. Those lacking committment are normally those with the excuses!
  17. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I have to say I am probably one of the most commited bandsmen there is and in my experience I think that players and conductors generally start off commited but slip into a state of complacency 1 or 2 good results and remarks like (in my old band) "we are not a fourth section band" this was just after the band got relagated from the 3rd section My response was that if we are not a fourth section band then why are we now back in that section. You may think what has all this drival got to do with the thread well this all stemed from lack of commitment caused by complacency within the band and by the conductor Ihave since left the band due to this and other thing and joined what I consider a more professional outfit and I am thouroughly enjoying it
  18. brittm

brittm Member

Whose been revising their ACCA 1.3 then
  19. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

In my opnion there is no such thing as a fully committed brass band, unless you have a band full of people who have flexible, unstressful jobs, and have no families/friends outside of the!!

Everyone has times when they are unable to attend rehearsals/concerts or contests...this does not mean that they are less committed than the people who are at every rehearsal just means that the band is sometimes not their priority at that particular moment...and seeing as how banding is a 'hobby' then families and jobs obviously DO take priority!!
  20. Cornishwomble

I don't think that's who this thread is aimed at, I for one totally understand when people cannot make band due to work, holidays, family commitments or illness. After all it is only a hobby and sometimes these things have to come first.

The uncommited people who I would certainly criticise are the people who don't turn up for band and probably are sat at home cos they can't be bothered. Everyone must know someone either now or in the past who always lets you down or doesn't turn up, sometimes making an excuse or not even bothering to tell anyone.
    That to me is showing a lack of commitment to a band.