How brass players do it!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vonny, Aug 8, 2005.

1. vonny

vonny Member

A couple of days a go i picked up a book by John Ridgeon - How brass players do it (A book of lip building and flexibility exercises). I was wondering if anyone here on tmp had come across it or used it, and i would appreciate any feedback...
    I have started a few of the exercises and i am finding it particually useful, especially because i sometimes find 'range' difficult, but now it is becoming easier.

Thank you,

Yvonne

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Come across it.
    Use it.
    Teach it.

Things I work on myself and encourage all my students to work on include:
    Aim for an even sound throughout all of the exercises, even the later ones that ascend into the upper register (please note - never think of this book as "high," nothing in there is high).
    Don't try and race through the book - only work as well as sounds good.
    If you are trying an exercise and having difficulties, go back an exercise or two. Leave the later one for a day or two and then you may find that they have become easier.

If you are able to get a lesson or two from a good teacher, involving this book, you may well benefit from it more than advice given online. They will be able to advise as to whether you are approaching them in the right way or whether you are contorting your natural embouchure to achieve the results.

3. katharine

katharine Member

I used this as a beginner trumpet player many many years ago.

Can't remember what the exercises were like but I know the pictures near the beginning were quite amusing.

Hmm ... might have to dig that one out at some point!

4. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Great book

Used it at school - lost it and then bought it again whilst at college.

Would recommend it to players at any level - but yes, the pictures are quite dated :biggrin:

5. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Use it everyday with a metronome set to 60 bpm. Always use a metronome!!!! I was a very lazy player until I started doing all my exercises to a metronome, it makes it so much harder but you will become a better player for it. Air is the key, not pressure!!

6. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I use it myself everyday and I teach from it..............

its a great book!;)

7. vonny

vonny Member

Thank you very much for the advice - appreciated :D
    I can't say i came across the book myself when i first learned, i went through those tune a day books, of which i still have 1 & 2.
    As i have gone back into playing after a while away, i was wondering whether anyone could recommend a book/s, specific exercises etc that would get my lip back into practice. I am doing quite well at the moment, but i feel i still have a bit more practice, especially with the more complex rhytmns.

Yvonne

8. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

hey :) Before taking my grade eight last year i used it everyday before running through my pieces. Helped me with stamina , my range and sound. Would definetly say it's worth using!!!

9. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Hmmmm "How Brass Players Do It".......

If its anything like me, a mixture of luck and good timing!!!

:biggrin:
    Andy

10. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Try Arbans Cornet Method also, loads of good stuff in there.:)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John Ridgeon
    Yvonne
    book of lip building
    brass players
    flexibility exercises
  12. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

for a more "compact and bijou" version of the Arban I use Wright and Rounds Complete Method;)

especially for younger players as they dont get so bogged down

13. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I've also used this book for years!! (my copy is falling apart now!) and have INSISTED that all of my students (the few that I have had) have had a copy and er... used it.. too

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  14. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

that and arban, pretty much all you need :)

Used it ever since i started, and have since progressed on to, i think he's called charles kennedy?......book of advanced lip slurs? or something like that, hes a trumpet guy, lots of high notes and resting for 5 seconds! :) :)

15. vonny

vonny Member

I went and bought a copy of that book lou, looks interesting, but it's a bit thick... Where would you suggest is the best place to start? I have looked through the beginning and that looks like general stuff etc, and then i looked towards the back, and i didn't like the look of that:confused: .
    I just need to master fast technical rhythmns, then i've cracked it i think.

Yvonne

16. sugarandspice

generally the begining is a good place to start! and then just work you way thru, i did it last summer, might seem a bit tedious but i actually got quite into it! Was told that once you can play everything in the arban you can play anything! :) got to be worth it :)

17. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Was given extra tuition from the principal cornet player with Cowdenbeath(now Kingdom) 25 years ago and this was the book he got me to buy. Gavin Spowart was his name and will always be as good as any cornet player I've heard in my mind.

Just noticed the Arban -start at the beginning and work towards the end- if you ever reach it then sign for Dyke on principal - lol(I'm still stuck in the beginning)

18. bertramtrumpet

bertramtrumpet New Member

i think its Charles Colins "Advanced Slur and Lip Flexibilties" that your thinking of maybe ???

19. sugarandspice

That'll be the one :)

20. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

There are worse (more fun) than that, if you progress into the extreme high register:biggrin:

21. vonny

vonny Member

Awwwww thanks, you guys are really encouraging.
    I have been praticing quite alot these days, and i try and put aside 30 mins each day just to practice scales, and then if i have some free time i practice hymn tunes...
    I am finding the arban really useful, and practicing stuff out of that and the lip building one i will be back to the player i was, in no time... well i hope so :D

Yvonne

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John Ridgeon
    Yvonne
    book of lip building
    brass players
    flexibility exercises