How bizzare!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DaveR, Oct 23, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Sometimes, I read something that just makes me cringe and makes me want to hide under the table! How embarrassing! You'd think they could have at least have reciprocated the gift under the circumstances!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6074940.stm

2. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Well, that's not good publicity for the town of Bideford.

3. annieds

annieds Member

When I heard this I was embarrassed and a bit angry. Whether the arrangement had been formalised or not, the Americans obviously were of the opinion that it had and some recognition of the visit was called for. A whipround amongst the councillors would have raised enough to reciprocate.
    Does Bideford have a band I could refuse to dep for?

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

It does, but I don't think the band had anything to do with it!

5. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Maybe....... but they obviously hadn't bothered to do anything about it for the last 25 years either or else you'd think someone would have noticed the coachload of yanks wandering aimlessly around the town hall every year.

6. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Right then! I'm from Bideford me! Yes I really am!

As far as I've always known (and I've lived in Bideford for about 16 years of my life!) Bideford has only ever been twinned with the town of Landivisau near Paris in France.... never even knew there was a town in America called Bideford!

Hmmm so to be honest I think Mr Yank Dude was just trying to be clever! Besides Bideford is only little! Why does it need two twin towns? sure it would be triplet towns then? Hmmmmmmmmm!!

Oh and please don't diss the lovely people of Bideford... we are actually rather nice, its not our fault Mr American Man decided to buy us a big clock is it!

Bidefordite and PROUD! :D

Fi
    xx

Oh and I bet none of you could pronounce Bideford correctly either! :tongue:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Of course we can. It's pronounced Bideforrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd! ;) :tongue:

8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

how do you pronounce the Bide bit though?

Everyone always thinks its Bide-ford .... but its actually Biddy-ford.... due to the fact that 95% of the population of Bideford is over 90 :tongue:

9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Talk about embarrassing