How are your Area rehearsals going?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Feb 27, 2004.

?

How's it going?

1. Can't wait to get on that stage!

100.0%
  2. Going OK, should do the piece justice on the day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mmm, worried!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MUM!!!!!!!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well with less than a month to go to the big day, how are the rehearsals shaping up? Confident? Not Sure? Worried like Hell?

Fulham's doing OK with Partita thus far. The opening of the 2nd and 3rd movements and moments of sour intonation are the main problems to overcome (and other little bits here and there, of course) but it's shaping up quite nicely to my ears!

How about you and your band/s?

2. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Ours is a week on Sunday! :shock:

I think our rehearsals are going pretty well. I enjoy the piece anyway and so don't mind all the rehearsing and i don't think that the rest of the band are getting fed up with it either.
    On Wednesday night, me and Debz (our principle cornet) came up with a secret weapon that will give us deffinate plus points!! :twisted: :twisted:

Since the NEMBBA we have progressed a lot(not that the adjudications gave us many helpful hints! :roll: ) and sorted out some things that we felt was a bit dodgy.

I think we're gonna have a great crack at Vizcaya when we go to Burton and even though i dont think we'll come in the prizes (although it would be nice!, it is our first year in the section) i think we'll do ourselves proud and that's all that matters!!

:D

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I Can't wait, The band are buzzing and we're still pushing hard at Vizcaya, At the moment if we produce on stage it'll be mega, it could go wrong still, That's what where working on really consistency!

Had Geoff Whitham at rehearsal last week and the band stepped up a gear with that little extra pressure and I thought if we get this on the day!!!!! wow....

Tricy bits are 6/8 over 3/4 opening couple of bars, it';s settles after two or three bars. And the Schezando (however thats spelt), playing together. But I'm really pleased were a lot closer to playing it than i thought we would be. The tempo's on the paper that is not on the CD's!!

Good luck everyone see you March 7th!!

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not often the case. (Not a criticism, merely an observation)

I do remember one Regional CD, whereby the piece in question (Symphonic Suite - Leighton Lucas) come out on the CD a whole tone lower than printed! (Presumably an engineering slip?) Even a tone's drop in the recording process can have a noticeable effect on the tempo hears (as it did in this case)

5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

A week to go and things are coming in to place (I think !)

On the regional CD, I have heard from a plyer who has been involved with recording a CD for the regionals that the band (s) involved do not always take them too seriously. They may even deliberately (or at least not totally accidently) get things wromg (i.e. tempo, rythm, etc).

Do NOT take the CD version as the CORRECT one !

6. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

I can't wait il next sunday, but i know i will be slighly nervous. Wouldnt really like to say how well the piece is going cos i dunno what we sound like compared to others, and it will be a nice surprize (hopefully) on the day. You'll have to come and watch us!!!

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Indeed, your bands' own interpretations are the correct ones, or at least you have to believe so by the time you get to the contest stage! ;-) ;-)

8. tim

tim Member

we had a gr8 rehersal with dave hirst a month ago and he's doin a fair few more with us closer to the day but in general were playing quite well. The piece isn't acctually as hard as it first looked (fortunately) still a test but we should do the thing justice (hopefully)

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Coming along nicely.

Not gonna give too much away...but we reckon we can give the 'big 3' in our area a good run for their money. :D

Gonna give Tristan one hell of a good outing. :D

:wink:

10. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Couldn't agree more ... I'm cautiously optimistic, but I know the band has the experience to make it work on the day! Plus this time (no offense to last time) we have an adjudicator who we know won't judge us mostly on one part of the piece!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rehearsals
    moments
    intonation
    Hell
    ears
  12. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

So who of you guys are gonna be at Burton on March 6th??

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yep - I'll be there.

Coventry Variations isn't going too bad really - we'll see on the day! Main sticking points are Variation VI (of course) and we're hampered by a dodgy Flugel player :shock: but OK generally.

Anyone else at Burton on Saturday week?

14. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'll probably be there on Sunday 7th as a mere spectator and supporter of Whitwell :D

15. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

...........and I shall be there playing for Whitwell!

No doubt Stephen2001 will give me his honest opinion of the bass-line! That's my boy :wink:

Janet

16. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

We'll be there on the 7th too, so look forward to meeting you again.

Viz seems to be coming along ok to, im looking forward to playing it.

17. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Can we have an option for. we havent even looked at it yet.

This is where panic now steps in. Arrggghhhh

18. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

lol, not long now. in a week at this time well know the results for yorkshire 2nd section, or on the other hand in a weeks time ill be hamerd :guiness :guiness :hammer , just had sectionall last night! what fun it was lol, went ok though! head on all this week starting from tomoz arrrrrr, bring on the hat trick (i hope) :twisted:

19. stinky fish

stinky fish New Member

I'll be there playing a few extra coventry variations. :D

20. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Great stuff!

I hope i get to meet some of you!!

I've never met up with any people from tMP apart from those i knew before.

I'll be the one, probably in a hat with a bright green band jacket on and a cheesy grin on my face!!! May also be armed with a camera!!!
    I will also be with several others who fit the above description minus the hat!!

:D :D

21. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'm excited!
    I think things are going relatively well, last few rehearsals have been good (in my very humble opinion). As said before though....who knows what everyone else is up to :?
    Here's to a week today :guiness

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rehearsals
    moments
    intonation
    Hell
    ears