How About Pre-drawn Regionals?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Beesa, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Beesa

Beesa Member

(Just been reading comments on 4br, and I realise these subjects are much mulled over anyway)

The draw adds a bit of an edge to the day, and I am all for keeping tradition within reason but surely the days of having all the bands up bright and early and waiting for this particularly needless nail-biter are gone.

How about a live draw via internet a week or a few days before the contest? That way each band can plan their day and peak for their performance. True enough, some are going to have to be up with the lark suited and suitably rehearsed but at least they will be fully prepared for their ordeal. Although the real ordeal at the moment is hanging around for maybe up to 4 or 5 hours waiting for your 15 minutes to shine.

Any thoughts?

2. tojo

tojo Member

like this idea , would also allow open adjudication

3. LynneW

LynneW Member

I'm certainly in favour of a split draw for all sections with a reasonable amount of bands in, something like 12 bands or more. 16 bands yesterday in the 4th section at Stevenage, at least then only 8 bands would have needed to be there for 9am draw, the others could have had an 11am draw and still been ready to play in time

4. groovy

groovy Active Member

I think a predraw was discussed for the Scottish Championships this year but didn't go ahead, I'm not sure why though. I guess some bands must have objected to it. Seems sensible enough to me! Not so much of a problem here though as the sections are not massive.

5. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Or how about a pole position draw, where the draw follows the world rankings, therefore Cory would be pole position therefore will play first?

:eek:)

6. rockingham_band

rockingham_band New Member

a pre-draw is an excellent idea and certainly worth considering by the powers that be

7. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

NW do a a predraw depending on how many band are in the section. So the early, first half is predrawn then another draw for the later half during the morning.

One thing I find is the banding world never seem to try things to see if they work or not - why not try this for one year and see what happens.......lots of speculation and talking but no action.

8. It's not pre-drawn is it?

I thought it was done on a split draw basis?

9. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

It's split draw but the first half is pre-drawn

10. Errol

Errol Supporting Member

No it isn't. The only part that is pre - drawn is which half of the draw you are in.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    days
    minutes
    br
    internet
    week
  12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

In that case we are moving to the NW and requesting an early draw, but not too early :wink:

13. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

Really???

At one stage we due to have a pre draw but due to withdrawals it didn't happen.

In the 4th they had 24 bands so sure they did pre draw in that

14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The only contests that have pre draws are specific in there set up. They have open adjudication. Even then I am not sure if all meet this criteria. Unless the 4th section NW is open adjudication :eek: I find it highly unlikely that the section was pre-drawn, but certainly more likely that there was a split draw, which would be pre-drawn. This would still mean that the adjudicator would have 12 bands in each half of the draw. This would then keep the anonimity for the bands.

15. Errol

Errol Supporting Member

No they didn't, as I stated in my previous post, the only thing that was pre-drawn was which half of the draw each band (4th section) was in. Both halves of the draw were done on the day.

16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The "North American" Championships are pre-drawn, but there is closed adjudication.

17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

norwegian nationals used to be the same, before moving to open.

18. Pontins has used pre-draw with closed adjudication without too many complications in the past.

19. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

Most of the NW local contests I.E Preston Fleetwood etc for the 4th section have been pre drawn in the last few years. I am all for predraws or if not a split sector draw there is nothing worse than hanging round all day to play last after being up at the crack of dawn. I can see what controversy it would make in this day in age really.

20. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Part of the fun though is surely being their to play support drink whateer you want to do on your contest day.

If you hae a pre draw draw early then go home to avoid ''wasting youre day'' one begs the question how interested you are in the first place.

21. PlayerPete

PlayerPete Member

I am all in favour of a pre-drawn contests. This year I had to leave the house at 9.15 to get to Bradford in time for rehearsal, we then got a number 10 draw and didnt get off stage until 3.30. We actually had a 2 hour break between draw being announced and our final blow before the contest. If it had been pre-drawn I wouldnt have had to leave the house until after 1.00.
    In this day and age we are supposed to be organised and efficient. I had to think about parking for over 6 hours, the band had to book the bus to leave after the results - not much time to support other bands or have a drink!
    I'm pleased we didnt qualify for the finals - it could be a very early start. With over 20 bands in each section, late draw bands will be waiting around for over 4 hours!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    days
    minutes
    br
    internet
    week