How about each Area choosing their own tests?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bayerd, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Having read Wilkie's recent post regarding Yorkshire choosing it's own tests for the areas in the '60s, how about each region getting to choose their own pieces for the Nationals qualifiers?

To me there are a couple of advantages-

1) Increased interest across areas as there'd be more pieces to listen to

2) More pieces get an airing

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I don't see any reason why it cannot work in principle.
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

When a band pays the fee and enters the area contest it has a vote (or maybe preference in order of 3/4 choices)

You mean we woud end up with pieces that us, mere bandsmen/women, would like to play !!!!
  4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

It would open a great can of worms for "X is easier, if we had played X we would have won"
  5. jerseylugs

jerseylugs New Member

There's always the option of having a selection available to each area, of maybe 5 pieces, and the regional committee would have to choose one of these.
  6. slidegrease

slidegrease New Member

I think a vote is a great idea - perhaps from a shortlist of say 6 or 7. A mix of the old, new, tradiitonal, modern.. how would this affect new pieces coming out though? Would people be inclined to pick an 'unknown' over a Wilby or Vinter when with familiar pieces they at least know what they are letting themselves in for?

I also think the same could be done with adjudicators - with their permission of course! If we put who we want in the box, then perhaps we might be less inclined to moan when we don't all win every contest!

In fact: how about even more of an overhaul:

1. Vote for a piece from a short list
    2. Learn it without the aid of 'definitive' recordings, which is in my eyes not only cheating but taking away much of the scope for musical interpretation.
    3. Vote for adjudicators from a short list
    4. Make all contests pre-drawn - to make life easier for travelling bands.
    5. Take the judges out of the box! If people are going to 'fix' a contest, if it even happens, they can do it just as well behind a screen. What is the point in asking two/three musicians to sit and judge a performance when they cannot see it, experience it, or even hear the version unaltered by a heavy black curtain!!!

Surely this would make the competition more transparent, un-biased, and much more musical!

Too radical, or is it now time for change?...
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Why not go a little further and allow the bands to choose which of the 5 they want to play on the day?
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

We could have a poll on here to sort it out....

"And the Yorkshire area championship section test piece for 2009 is.... Death or Glory"

I can't see it would cause more controversy than the current system. The use of more pieces in a year might well lead to a bit of recycling, but might also let new pieces in more easily.

Plus much more chance of a single area comittee comissioning a new piece every year than it getting done nationally.

PS - Rapier, didn't that cause problems at the open a few years back?
  9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Don't ask me. I'm getting old, can't even remember what I had for breakfast. :cool:
  10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I wasn't necessarily thinking about bands getting a vote, just that each regional committee becomes responsible for choosing what is played at their own area each year. Whether they choose to employ the services of the selection panel could be left up to them.
  11. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

I think that's a great idea. When are they going to announce them? Feb 29th?
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ok then here is some pieces for you to ponder if you were playing in the Midlands Area like me;
    Championship Sectiom;The Devil& The Deep Blue Sea;
    1st Section:Salute To Youth
    2nd Section:The Force Of Destiny
    3rd Section:Rhapsody On Negro Sprituals No 2
    4th Section Three Songs Without Words

Im sure they would test the bands in all the sections and all well within the range of the sections as well
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Vinter for your section Ian? I never expected that... ;)
  14. Di B

Di B Member

Force of destiny would certainly be a challenge for 2nd section. Doubt there would be a band that could truly nail it at that level. Then again I dont have many replacement suggestions.... Kaleidescope is very musical and hollywood is fun if you have the percussionists for it.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

i like the idea but then who would pick the nationals piece and they may end up with the same piece as one of the areas.
  16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

New commissions each year would solve that, but might put a dent into any money Kapitol might be making..............
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

My favorite Brass Band composer of all time:clap::tup
  18. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It certainly made things more, er, interesting.

It may be noteworthy that they haven't done it again ;)
  19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It would indeed - particularly if you use established composers. The bill would be whopping....and people already complain that the tickets are too expensive....etc.
  20. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

:eek: You're having a sausage again aren't you.