Hove Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by MRSH, Apr 8, 2004.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Really disappointed to read on the front page of the BB this week that not one Championship Section band has entered the Hove contest - one of the best contests in the South of England.

It's really sad that bands are not supporting their local Association like this.

According to the SCABA website there are 79 bands in membership plus three Honarary members. According to the BB there are 22 bands that have entered the Hove contest :shock: :shock: :shock:

Perhaps any tMP'er on here that belongs to a SCABA member band that has not entered the Hove contest can enlighten us as to the reason.

Now, I'm not saying that bands don't have a good reason for not entering but I can't believe 57 bands out of the SCABA membership are missing the opportunity to take part in such a longstanding, well run contest.

Come on people, especially Championship Section people, give us a clue.
    And, I'm sorry but I can't believe it is the closeness of the Nationals that's the reason. Of the bands going to Hove over half of them went to the Nationals. So, sorry that is no excuse.
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Thanks for the info... we'll enter the champ. section too!!!
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hey, Ben, I think you'd have a good chance of coming in the prizes, go for it :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

My band hasn't done Brighton/Hove contest for years, the reason Iw as told is because its too close to both the areas and SCABA's entertainments contest in May. Realistically, to do all 3 contests justice we'd be talking about 3 or 4 rehearsals a week for the best part of 4 months - so I think the closeness of the Nationals is a pretty good reason really. That said, 3 of us are helping a 1st section band out, and maybe they wouldn't have been able to enter if we weren't available - swings and roundabouts!

I've always wondered if running the whole contest on 1 day puts people off (v early start and late finish, trade stands packing up before the first section starts....) The autumn contest in Folkestone, run over 2 days, is always far better supported - coincidence?!

According to the SCABA website Clacton are also in the champ. section. You didn't say why you guys haven't entered Matt.... :wink:
  5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Some very good points Alex. On the 1 day thing the problem SCABA have with Hove is the cost of the venue. As far as I know they get no help or sponsorship for Hove but for Folkestone they get the cost of the hall paid for by the sponsors.

With the timing - surely if your draw is at (for e.g.) 2.00pm your band don't need to get there until then so it's not as though the whole band have to be there all day. :wink: :wink:

The Trade Stand problem has always been a bone of contention. But I can see both points of view. From SCABA's point it would be nice if the stands were there until the finish but, from the traders side, the guys that run them have been there all day and it takes a hell of a lot of backwards and forwards shifting usually negotiating several stairs and/or lifts. It does usually take them over an hour to set up and take down so it is hardly surprising they want to get going before the mad rush at the end of the contest. But I do personally think some of them are a bit premature in packing up.

Good question. 8) 8)

As far as I know (not being a 'member' of the band) and without going in to too much detail (with a fear of boring people) they have had to go through a massive rebuilding excercise since being relegated (nationally) from the Championship Section. :roll: :roll: :roll:
  6. Accidental

fair nuff - but maybe other bands have similar issues :wink:

re. timings, I was talking about different sections (obviously?!) as its not just the top section bands who are conspicuous by their absence! And I woudln't mind if the Trade stands disappeared an hour early, but they tend to be packing up as the 1st section starts - 2 or 3 hours before the end of the day - and the last few years they've been gone before the top section even arrive for their draw. Seriously annoying!
  7. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Indeed, maybe they do. It would be interesting to know. :wink:

Ah, yes of course. Sorry - slightly misread. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yep - have to agree with you on this point.

And, just to throw in another spanner, could it also have something to do with the number (or quality) of 'foreign' bands that have attended SCABA contests in the past that might be putting other bands off :?: :?: :?:
  8. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

From my point of view, as Matt has pointed out, we traders have been at the venue from about 8am so I don't think that it entirely unreasonable for us to pack up and go at about 4pm - consider we have to load up the vehicles and drive home (no coach drivers to do that for us - no trips to the bar either!!).

Also I tend to find that the upper sections are generally not interested in looking round the trade stands, unless they are after something specifically. I'm sure that if the upper sections were to show the same level of support that the lower sections do to the traders then we would still be there towards the end of the contest - and I happen to know that Chris Baker at Cerydd Gifts is usually one of the last to leave a contest.

C'mon Guys 'n' Gals give the traders your support.
  9. Trigger

Trigger Member

Just out of interest, when is the Hove Contest? And when was the closing date for entries then? Not that I'm going, just wondered.
  10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Sunday 25th April.

I believe the closing date was around the 25th March.
  11. Trigger

Trigger Member

Thanks MRSH, maybe next year then. :D
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The main reason we're not doing Hove contest this year (as in some previous years) is that the organisers have chosen to run it on the closest Sunday to St. George's Day, and we have always taken part in the local Scouts/Guides etc. St. George's day Church Parade/Service (yes, St. George's day is still formally observed in some parts of England). We have complained to SCABA on previous occasions about this, but with apparently little success.

Apart from that, I think the date is too soon after the qualifiers, particularly if Easter falls in between. Rehearsing, as we do on Mondays/Fridays the Easter holiday is a bit of a dead loss for us; add to that the fact that many members go away after the qualifiers, having deliberately deferred holidays to avoid the run-up to the qualifiers, also the fact that no-one usually wants to repeat the qualifiers testpiece anyway, having flogged it to death for several weeks already, and we have no time/adequate rehearsals to work up a 'new' testpiece (let alone two, if we want to play up a section) ..............

I think you probably get the picture.

13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

We at Fulham (not that we're in the top section....) also have a St George's Day concert, and we need all our rehearsal time to prepare for that.

Still, (with Fulham's permission) I shall be day transferring to YWD! ;-)
  14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

And very glad we will be to have you too!.

Generally our band look forward to Hove, for us its a good chance to keep the momentum going after the nationals. Last year we had a lot of problems with players being unavailable, however we are OK this year so we'll be doing the 2nd and 1st sections.
  15. HBB

HBB Active Member

We'll try anyway! :D
  16. Accidental

Well hopefully I'll have better luck meeting some of you guys than at Stevenage!

Any other tMPers going?
  17. HBB

HBB Active Member

We'd probably all have gone before you start! :roll:
  18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Nope we'll be there till the bitter end!, don't forget Ben we're doing 2nd and 1st section, and theres no champ section!
  19. HBB

HBB Active Member

I thought there was a champ! :?
  20. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Of course - it's the only contest I can actually walk to! (not that I do)
    However, you'll have to be up early to catch the 3rd section