House Sale

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by hellyfrost, Jul 31, 2007.

1. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Hello All!

Has anyone out there had any experience of the companies who "buy houses for cash"?

I'm needing to sell my house fairly quickly and frankly can't be bothered with all the estate agents, viewers, offers, possible sale fall-through and all that sort of stuff.

Anyone got any advice?

2. on_castors

on_castors Member

From what I hear, they pay something like as little as 70 or 80% of the market value, so for some people even an auction might be a better bet for a quick sale :-(

To put it in perspective 20% of the cheapest of houses these days is enough to buy two family sized cars, so the nightmare that house selling often is seems a lot more worthwhile!
  3. David Mann

David Mann Member

Be bothered! In fact be very bothered indeed: get a good estate agent and pester them so they work for their money, and shop round for solicitors. Imagine the difference in price as a pile of tenners on the table: if you still want to give that away, you can give it to me next Whit Friday!
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

To be blunt about it - I wouldn't touch anyone who advertises "buying houses for cash" with someone elses bargepole, let alone my own.

Your house is the biggest single purchase you will make, so you owe it to yourself to recoup as much of that investment as you possibly can. Its still a sellers market, so you should take advantage of that, and even if it wasn't you should still go out of your way to ensure you get what you deserve for the sale of your place.

I agree - estate agents are a pain in the bottom, but the sort of people who will offer you a wad of fivers in exchange for your property at a massively reduced market rate are, frankly, parasites.

I don't want to know what the situation is here, and frankly it's irrelevant. But I urge you to go speak to your bank, or even the CAB about you options for a bridging loan or whatever. They will have choices for you and they will listen. Only as an absolute last, no-other-option resort should you even consider selling for cash at a reduced rate.

As a last attempt to persuade you, as On Castors says the money you will be losing probably equates in value to a couple of family cars - so say a very conservative £20k. Now think how long it will take for you to earn that sort of money. And if that doesn't scare you, think how long it will take for you to save that figure up. Suddenly a few months pain of estate agents doesn't seem so bad does it?
  5. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Yeah I thought as much! I was just wondering what everyone's experience of them is really if any.

I agree, they probably are parasites and I'll steer well clear and stop being quite so lazy:p

I'm not in any financial bother :D, just hate estate agents and need to move quickly as I move into my new house in Huddersfield in about 6weeks. I might look a little further into selling it myself. Anyone want to buy a house in Oldham?! :p Either that or I'll rent it out... hmmm:confused:

Sorry David! Looks like you won't be getting any cash next Whit Friday either way; I'm not at Littleborough anymore! lol

Right I'm off to kick myself up the bum and do DIY round my house before I get a valuation...

Thanks to you all for the replies!