hot curries...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sparkling_quavers, Apr 3, 2005.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

What is it about blokes and their obsession with REALLY hot curries!?

I quite like chilli-hot stuff, but what my other half made last night was jsut crazy! It was a vindaloo and I dread to think how much chilli was actually in there!! :eek: I had resort to scraping all the sauce off and covering the chicken in yogurt, it was just about ok then!

So, this is a question for the blokes - why does it have to be so hot that it actually causes pain?!!??!1 :confused:

HorniKaz likes this.
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    chicken
    hot curries
    half
    blokes
    chilli-hot stuff
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Perhaps because the hotter it is the greater excuse to cool it down with more lager. :clap:

HorniKaz likes this.
  4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Its just cos they want to show off.

5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

A good Vindaloo isn't just hot. A good Vindaloo has a great taste and is also very hot.

When the food is hot the body releases Endorphins which create a sense of pleasure adding to the experience.

I always have a Vindaloo or if I'm really in the mood a Tindaloo or Phal and I certainly don't eat it just to "show off", Although it is fun to watch the uninitiated have a quick taste!

However I always hate the next day the other end of my body isn't so keen on hot curries :oops:

6. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

That's a very interesting question Sparkly!!

You never get a fella saying "hmmmmm, could murder a korma!" do you? :rolleyes:

Bighorn's reply is probably spot on! A few Cobras with a madras usually goes down a treat with my other half! I prefer mine a little more tame! But still have the lagers!! ;)

7. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Well there was an episode of Red Dwarf when the crew were getting attacked by a Vindaloo monster

The only thing that could kill it was lager :D

HorniKaz likes this.
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well as a bloke i do not like hot curries at all they have no taste and are utter CR*P in my view.;)

Something like a Meat Rogan Josh is just nice and tasty with plenty of Onions and tomatoes with it goes down nice.:clap:
    But i make a TOPJOLLY Chilli Con Carne the best in the West Midlands:biggrin:

9. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Hmmm.... chocolate also releases Endorphins, think I know which I prefer!

You're a very brave man! Respect!!! [​IMG] But definately sounds like a case of putting the loo roll in the fridge overnight!! :tongue:

10. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I totally agree.

Had a vindaloo last night. Took me twice as long to eat as my normal madras would but it tasted twice as good.

I think I'll leave it a month or so until the next one though!

The other reason why men have hotter food may be due to resistance. I used to think that rogan josh was hot. Now after been enlghtened in the way of the 'proper' curry it seems mild and boring, (although it is tasty enough). As for Kormas, they are a complete disgrace and do not deserve to be classified as a curry.

Igg

11. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I personally think that very few people in this country make a true vindlaoo. The origin of the word seems to come from a language called Konkani via Portugese, Vin: meaning wine, and alho: meaning Garlic. I disagree with the derivation, and think the second half means potatoes as in Bombay Aloo.

vin·da·loo (vĭn'də-lū)
    n., pl. -loos.

1. A blend of red chilis, tamarind, and other spices, such as ginger, cumin, and mustard seeds.
    2. Any of various dishes of southern and central India made with this spice blend.
    [Probably Konkani (Indic language of western India) vindalu, from Portuguese vin d'alho : vinho, vin, wine (from Latin vīnum) + de, of (from Latin dē; see de–) + alho, garlic (from Latin ālium).]

Doesn't say in what proportions, and if you take into account the 2nd definition, you could probably get away with saying a mild vindaloo is a viable dish. no fun though.

Can't beat a good Joe Frazier, sorry for the uninitated that is a Jalfrezi, known in my local as a George Formby - George Foreman - Joe Frazier -Jalfrezi. I love tenuous links :rolleyes:

In response to the original question by SQ, not every bloke has to have the hottest possible curry. Some of us prefer to have our taste buds caressed rather than being burnt to bug9ery. My personal favourite is a keema shashlik. Chef needs 24 hours notice for this one, in order to thread the little bits of lamb mince onto the skewer. normally I have the more trad Chicken version of this dish [​IMG]

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    chicken
    hot curries
    half
    blokes
    chilli-hot stuff
  13. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Most people in this country don't make proper curries! We have literally every possible spice and makes a different curry every weekend (the proper way). Even saying this blokes still seem to have an obsession with HOT (by HOT I mean Chillis). Even if following a recipe there seems to be an evil force telling them to add extra chilli!!! :rolleyes:

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Never really enjoyed a vindaloo myself, although I think my resistance is building... things I used to find too hot are now really enjoyable. And the vindaloo will always be useful for post-area fun...

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I dont know how some people eat the really hot curries... I really dont.... Kormas and Tikkas are as far as I go!! :lol:

16. ju33les

ju33les Member

We have just got home from the "Curry House" , and delicious it was too!

Madras is the strongest that we usually manage....anymore and it just burns all the taste buds out of one's gob! And what is the point of that? Why bother with a particular meat/veg, when you might as well be eating spicy lumps of vindaloo'd doodah!

Yuck to strong curry sauces:tongue:

17. ju33les

ju33les Member

I should imagine anyone downwind of that end isn't too chuffed either........

18. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

When I first met Roy I couldn't eat anything Hot. He made a curry once and I spent the whole week complaining about the flat smelling of curry:( but it's taken me a while but i can say I like Hot Curries/Chilli's etc etc:p

19. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

There's a certain pain threshold beyond which my mouth won't go. Once the pain outweighs the pleasure it's TOO HOT.

There, that was a very girly thing to say wasn't it?
    BMB
    xx

20. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

they like it the next day.....you know- the ring sting.....then they feel proper 'ard!! :cool:
    the toilet always has an odd aroma though if you go in after them! :confused:

21. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I'm actually a bit of a wussy girl when it comes to hot food, can handle most stuff but the hardcore stuff like vindaloo is out of the question...but hot curries give you an excuse (if ones needed) to drink large amounts of lager while eating your curry :biggrin:

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Picante chilies are my trick to clean the pores! Small, almost maggot lookin' things that have the ability to roast the meanest of curry kings! (I tend to use it for chili con carne though!)

Saying that, I found a link that has more types of chili than there are curries :eek:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.chili-balkon.de/thumbs/t_aji-picante.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.chili-balkon.de/fotoindex/fotoindex-r.htm&h=210&w=209&sz=15&tbnid=_4jDB2s2mNYJ:&tbnh=99&tbnw=99&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpicante%2Bchili%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2004-47,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN

... a tip to cool the heat ... try eating a tomato ... it works! :)