Horns - Sovereign vs Maestro (vs Prestige?!) Which is best?

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by tewkeshorn, Jan 18, 2004.

1. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

OK this'll be a fun thread as theres lots of horn players on tmp. I'm thinking of buying a horn for myself and I'm pretty sure the only real choices are going to be Besson Sovereign or a Yammy Maestro, or the mythical beast that is Prestige slowly awakening from it's fiery volcano lair (or not!). :?

I don't really want a slanging match between Maestro players and Sov players saying theirs is best. Ideally, I'd like reviews from people who've played both and how they compare. When I can get to a shop that actually has both models to try then I'll try them myself! :p

2. Hornwhat

Hornwhat New Member

Re: Horns - Sovereign vs Maestro (vs Prestige?!) Which is be

Neither I would go for a Courtois personally. Maestro and Sovereign are too much in demand so therefore the time and details are not taken in the making . where as my new courtois is being loving made at the moment. and you can get a better deal on courtois as well.

3. Moy

Moy Active Member

Would not buy the new model Sovereign....tried them and they were not good........tone wise and intonation wise. Tried about 3 differenet ones.
    The only sovereign I would play would be the old B&H model with the treble clef on the bell. It's still the best Sov on the go just now.

I bought the Yamaha Maestro aware that Besson were going to eventually take out a new model The Prestige.
    I am going to wait until it has been out for about a year and been tried and tested by the experts and then try one to see if I like it.
    Then and then only will go for a Besson.

Sorry tried the Courtois as well and found the intonation not too good, especially if the rest of the section are not on Courtois.
    Hope that's helpful tewkeshorn :wink:

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i'll give ratings on the ones i've played then :p
    1-5 (5 being best)

Sovereign
    Maestro
    Courtois
    Old Sov

Comfort (to hold)
    S 4
    M 2
    C 2
    O 4

Sound (tone that i personally like most)
    S 4
    M 3
    C 4
    O 5

Intonation (between the diff harmonics of the instrument itself.. obv this varies between horns)
    S 3
    M 4
    C 2
    O 4

Easy to play-ness (its a word now :p (how easy it is to blow (beurgh)))
    S 4
    M 3
    C 4
    O 5

Final totals (20)
    S 15
    M 12
    C 12
    O 18

5. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Hmm, interesting. Is the old style sov still being made? Or does anyone know anywhere that sells them? Normans etc just have the latest one.

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

not made anymore. But they are like gold-dust to find!!! Look out for the round Boosey and Hawkes stamp on the bell... (before besson took over and beggared them all up!) and the distinctive blue cases they come in.

http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=4619

7. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Depends a lot on what the others in your section play on.
    Courtois is comfortable to play on mid-upper register tricky to tune with non-Courtois though.
    Have to agree with the others concerning Classic Sovereign. Work of art.
    Don't know if Yamaha still do the t-horn with rotary valves. That was also great to play on.

8. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

Re: Horns - Sovereign vs Maestro (vs Prestige?!) Which is be

I quite agree! I bought my Courtois last Easter when I got fed up of waiting for a Sov that had already been on order for about 9 months.

I think its got a lovely sound and don't notice any tuning problems with the rest of the section and neither have the 2 conductors I play under.

:wink:

9. Shommusic

Shommusic New Member

As someone said at our band practise tonight "Its amazing how good those Cortons are now!" :lol:

Personally I wouldnt be parted from my Besson Sov of the last 15yrs, despite the lack of laquer, dents, and unmoveable slides! I agree with the general comments regarding the old style treble clef Sov, and certainly most new sovs that i have played are poo, have valve problems, tuning problems, etc.
    However, it also feels to me that the old style sov is a bit smaller than the new ones, and is as such easier to blow, etc. I may be wrong here, but thats how it seems to me! Would be good if maybe someone has all the figures to compare, etc.

Anyway, I cant wait to try out the new Prestige horn. Anyone know a release date? Does Sheona have one already? Would be interesting to know what she thinks!
    Perhaps If i write to Besson and offer to 'trial' one of them (for a year or twenty!) they might let me have one! :?

10. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Damn, thats a good idea.
    Wish I'd thought of it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Horns
    Prestige
    Yammy
    Besson Sovereign
    Maestro players
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

nope theyre nowhere near that stage in thinking about production yet! Unfortunately for us, horns aren't that much of a priority for them. They'd rather release another pooey trombone before they think of working on the horn :p so i cant see there being a release in 2004. And no, she hasn't got one yet hehe :)

13. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

As Aidan's rating systems is cool, I'm just going to nick his format!
    Sovereign
    Maestro
    Courtois
    Old Sov

Comfort (to hold)
    S 4
    M 5
    C 3
    O 4

Sound (tone that i personally like most)
    S 4
    M 5
    C 3
    O 5

Intonation (between the diff harmonics of the instrument itself.. obv this varies between horns)
    S 3
    M 4
    C 2
    O 4

Easy to play-ness (its a word now (how easy it is to blow (beurgh)))
    S 3
    M 5
    C 2
    O 4

Final totals (20)
    S 15
    M 19
    C 10
    O 17

My view on the Courtois may be clouded by the fact that I only played it for one rehearsal, but I found it tinny, out of tune with everyone/thing and generally just a bit beurgh! No offence intended - I'm sure some of you hate my beloved Maestro too :wink:

As far as the comments on what the rest of the section is playing go, how many bands bought sets of identical instruments with lottery cash only to find every individual still sounded completely different?! As long as you're half decent and know how to use your ears, imo getting the horn that feels and blows best for you is much more important.

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

do you not find that the maestro is quite bulky compared to the other horns (well the sovs anyway) and the 2nd slide always seems to dig in to your stomach :?

15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Not really - it is chunkier, but I actually find that easier to hang onto (I've got big hands for a girlie!) With sovs I always took too much weight on my right hand. The 2nd slide prob must be a guy thing - I find it fits nicely into the cleavage!! :wink:

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

haha righto :roll:
    well if carry on boozing i should have a nice cleavage by the time im about 50