Horn Solos!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kate_the_horn, Apr 24, 2004.

1. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

im looking for people who've played variations on a welsh theme or capricco brilliante with the band parts,

what are your views on these two pieces?

kate x

2. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

im playin welsh theme for grade 7, but not with band part ( just piano )

3. stabbyjnr

stabbyjnr Member

really?
    its grade 8 Associated board!

4. louise0502

louise0502 Member

haven't played the horn part (duh!) but cappriccio brillante is a pretty cool piece to play

5. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Ive played both, but not with band. They are both great pieces, but i would say cappriccio is alot harder

6. blue_smarties

blue_smarties Member

I think Welsh Theme's a lovley solo, its just abit long to do in a normal concert! :)

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

you should do it kate, its not long enough to tire you out and has a really nice band accomp.
    I was thinking about doing it with besses (before i left), and I know Donna Lewis did it a few times with Leylando

8. blue_smarties

blue_smarties Member

Not that it's tireing(sp?!) jus abit long. If i went to a concert and someone did a solo that lasted virtually 10mins, i'd be bored. :? It's not the most lively solo in the world is it?! (apart form the last bit)
    Just my opinion :)

9. Moy

Moy Active Member

It's never boring...great horn solo.
    One of my favourites.
    Go for it. :wink:

10. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

played var on a welsh theme on sop. very good piece!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Horn Solos
    capricco brilliante
    variations
    welsh theme
    views
  12. grandfilth

grandfilth Member

Actually i did it for one of my bbc rounds and its only 4:30 with the cuts that are printed. Personally i think Capriccio is alot better because its easier to pull off. If you can shape Welsh theme well and ooze all of the music out it sounds great tho.

13. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Like they oozed all the hair out of your eyebrow?? :lol: :eek: :lol: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. grandfilth

grandfilth Member

Yeah and not to mention the rest of my head!!How dya know bout that?!!I went out in the sun and burnt my head yesterday!!

15. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Seems as good a place as any to ask this:

What's this new(ish) solo 'Vocalise' like then?

Going by the title I assume a slow melody, difficulty? (ie could I play it!)

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yup a slow melody. very nice, originally arranged from a double bass solo i think.

17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I am sure it is originally a vocal solo by Rachmaninov..has been transcribed for loads of different combinations , Euph , cornet , tuba....there is a great version on the James Watson CD ( accomp by Black Dyke )

18. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i meant transcribed not arranged.. it is the sandy smith arrangement isnt it?

19. Di

Di Active Member

Thanks (NOT :evil: ) to our postie, (probably a holiday cover, cus our usual chap leaves parcels at the front wedged behind a drain pipe), we eventually have our band parts to Variations on a Welsh Theme. I ordered them about 3.5 weeks ago and was about to phone and moan, but we went to put our rubbish out this morning and found a soaking wet soggy brown package round the back of the house (only about 12 inches from the bin)! Lucky the bin men refuse to come round to the back of the house. Judging by the invoice date, its probably been there for nearly 2 weeks!! Thank you much and well done publishers for wrapping music in polythene before packaging for posting!!!

No doubt Vicki will let you know whats she thinks about playing it with band as soon as she has done so.

20. Moy

Moy Active Member

Didn't think Var on a Welsh Theme was published for band thought it was only piano and horn.

21. Di

Di Active Member

Its published by R Smith & Co and they "Print to Order" the band parts.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Horn Solos
    capricco brilliante
    variations
    welsh theme
    views