Horn Solo given world premier by BT Band

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by asteria, Jun 10, 2006.

1. asteria

asteria Member

BT Brass Band in World Premier

On the afternoon of Sunday 18th June at the Stockport Plaza the BT Band will be premiering a new piece of work by up-and-coming composer Richard Rock. Inspired by the World Cup, the theme for the concert is Around the World in 80 Minutes, and featured in the programme will be the World Premier of Richard’s latest composition The Tempest.

Richard comes from Ireland where he studied at the Royal Irish Academy of Music in Dublin before moving to England to study at Salford University, where he graduated with a First Degree in BA (Hons) Music. He is currently studying for his MA in composition at Salford University, and after this hopes to start a PhD in composition. He plays the tenor horn and has played for a number of brass bands, most recently Besses o’ the Barn, and he is also a member of the famous Hallé Choir.

Richard has been attaining increasing interest in his work, and recent successes include winning the Kirklees Music composer’s competition in 2005 and receiving the inaugural Lomas Achievement Award at Salford University.

The Tempest is Richard’s first commissioned work for a solo artist. The solo piece for Tenor Horn with brass band accompaniment was commissioned by Helen Varley, solo horn player with the BT Band and twice former British Open Horn Champion. The brief was to write a piece which was ‘challenging, but fun to play and entertaining for the audience’. Helen has been thrilled with the final version of the piece and is honoured to be performing the world premier of The Tempest. Following the premier the piece will be published by Andrea Crossley Music.

The concert starts at 2:30pm on Sunday 18th June, and will finish with a patriotic Last Night of the Proms set. Tickets will be priced at £6 (concessions available) and are available from the Stockport Plaza Box Office on 0161 477 7779. More information is available here.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Richard Rock
    World Premier
    BT Brass Band
    Stockport Plaza
    Horn Solo
  3. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

:clap: Congratulations Helen! Sounds great.

4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Really wanted to go to that, but i'll be surfing in newquay, anyhoo hope it all goes well, hope you're well Helen

:D

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yes, this does sound great Helen. Hope you are well Helen, nice to see you on here again.

6. hornyas

hornyas Member

Good luck Helen! What's the piece like?? How long? What other pieces would you liken it to in style? Does it have a slow bit?
    I won't be able to go to your concert but will def buy the piece...
    More horn music! Yay!
    xx

7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

You kept that quiet at the weekend!!! Well done and I hope it goes well for you on the nite!!!

8. asteria

asteria Member

Thanks everyone, I'm well excited about this piece, Richard really has done a fantastic job! What initially started as a conversation about the lack of exciting original music for tenor horn led to me challenging Richard to write something new (I was half joking), and much to my surprise he came back 2 weeks later with a completed piece!!

On the strength of hearing the Sibelius file alone we've got a couple of people coming to the concert and I believe someone else has already asked him for another solo commission!

It's a few minutes long, quite fast and technical to begin with (lots of 10/8 time signatures!) and quite quirky, with a lovely slow section in the middle, then a cadenza and back into a reprise of the fast section to finish. In terms of similar music I guess it's a bit like the Piper O' Dundee in structure, possibly with bits of Episode in (Peter Graham's one of his tutors at uni so I guess that figures!). It's an awesome piece, I'm sure it's gonna become a firm part of the horn repertoire! :tup

About time us horn players had some new music! :D

9. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

The piece is great and Helen has been playing it brilliantly in rehearsals, as I'm sure she will on Sunday too!

10. RandomHornPlayer

RandomHornPlayer New Member

Hmmm....new horn music - this is always good!
    Is there a piano version available for us gimps who cant afford to fork out for a full band set ?
    Think I'll come along and check it out - is the composer coming to the concert ?

11. asteria

asteria Member

Yes there will be a piano accompianment version available, although I haven't heard it yet (I think it's still in progress).

Richard will indeed be at the concert watching, and if you don't know who he is there's a photo of him in the programme notes so that everyone can point and stare at him, hehehe :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Richard Rock
    World Premier
    BT Brass Band
    Stockport Plaza
    Horn Solo
  13. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

He'll be the one with a very faint resemblance to Thermo Man :D

14. RandomHornPlayer

RandomHornPlayer New Member

Nice one, I'll know who to aim the veg at!!

15. TheMusicMan

So Helen, how did it go? Please let us know yeah.

16. Di

Di Active Member

Do you have the contact details for Andrea Crossley Music please Helen? :)

17. asteria

asteria Member

Hi there,

The piece got a great response and everyone seemed to enjoy it, including the composer!

To be honest I didn't think I'd really done the piece justice and found that I was struggling to pitch stuff throughout the concert - I thought I must have done too much pratice the night before. It was only after the concert that I discovered a piece of red cardboard down the bell of my horn - coincidentally the same colour as my disintegrating music folder!! That explains a lot!...... :rolleyes:

Yes the piece will be published by Andrea Crossley Music, although I believe the website is not up and running just yet. I shall get her email address for you though :)

Helen

18. TheMusicMan

Thanks for letting us know how it went Helen. Knowing your playing I am certain you did do it justice... ;)

PS: Pls let Andrea know about tMP hosting yeah :)