Horn Slow Melody Piece for 1st Timer aged 10

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pete Watson, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Pete Watson

Pete Watson Member

Hi all,
    Mi daughter is aged 10 and has been playing horn for about 18 months.
    I have told her about slow melody competitions and she is up for givin it a try :D.
    What pieces are about that fit the bill, ie nothing too high or technical etc.
    Any advice will be welcome.

2. barrytone

barrytone Member

Hi Pete and welcome, hope you enjoyed the weekend, shame about the result but that's contesting! Slow melody for horn, I always did "I'll sing thee Songs of Araby" or " The Swan". Last slow melody I did was "The Holy City", gets a bit high though unlike the other two. I have copies of all three, if you want to borrow any, just let me know.

ps. Think I have "How Great thou Art" too somewhere if that appeals?
  3. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

My first slow melody was The Holy City. I have also got The Swan, my regular 'number' is The Star Of Bethlehem and i've been known to play Romanza-Mozart, Demelza, A time for piece, evergreen, The lark in the clear air andstrauss horn concerto 2nd movt.

Hope that helps
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Lavender's Blue
  5. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

I would imagine The Swan is quite difficult for a 10 year old who has been playing for 18 months as it has some high sustained notes in it.

My son won a local contest playing Share My Yoke (I know its usually a cornet or trom solo) at about the same stage. I took it down a key so the top note was only an F.