horn players, lads or gals???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by savewaterdrinkbeer, Mar 20, 2006.

?

horn section

1. lads

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. gals

37 vote(s)
    43.0%
  3. mainly a mixture

41 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. after having a disscussion with one of my freinds about banding i have to see what u lot think, she told me that a tenor horn is a girlie instrument and its mainly girls/women that play tenor horn, what do you say?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tenor horn
    horn players
    girls
    disscussion
    freinds
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, I'm a bloke and I......gave up playing horn :(

I see your point. However, I think I probably know more male horn players that girlie horn players, so I think it must definitely be a butch, manly instrument! :biggrin:

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Dont think sex matters, I just class them all under the umbrella of inadequate :p

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

In both the bands I play in, all the horn section are female. In the National Capital Band, we also seem to have had a large percentage of female trombonists over the years.

6. hornyas

hornyas Member

Male horn players

I think the majority of the UK's top tenor horn players are male - Solo horns for Grimethorpe, Black Dyke, Faireys, Brighouse, Fodens and BAYV are all male. That's not to say that there are also some fine female horn players around, i.e. Lesley Howie and Shenoa White.

There's a perception around that the horn is easy to play and hence "girly" - but any tenor horn player knows, it is not a walk in the park to play like the big guns I referred to above.

You need feminine and masculine approaches to any performance - and to say that the horn is only exposed to limp and easy lines in light of the latest modern repertoire is a misguided view.

Rob
    Defensive male horn player! hehe;)

7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Not an appropriate comment at all, especially from a mod!!! :wink:

8. Steve

Steve Active Member

Sorry, I was going to make a sensible post but then realised as a Mod we get reprimanded for being dull! Cant win ;)

9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Quote from "Band Personnel" which can be found on many band websites: "Solo Horn: Always a girlie no matter what sex it is".:tongue:
    Possibly a little fallacious to say that most of the top horn plyers are men, since there are still some championship bands who have an all male line-up...
    Badger puts serious hat on for a moment - On the whole I think there are probably more female horn players around than male, but does it really matter?
    Please lets not get into one of those "Men/women play
    better than women/men arguements again. They're boring and unproductive.

BMB
    xx

10. Leggy

Leggy New Member

Now this is a funny one - in most of the strongest horn sections I've come across, they've been led by a bloke, but the rest of the section have always been female, and the females concerned could really tank it out when required. (Look at RV's horn section for proof of that). Maybe the bloke and 2 girls thing is a magical combination, like Tony Orlando and Dawn, or Tight Fit. (!)

11. 1alexm

1alexm Member

i'd say its more of a girly thing

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tenor horn
    horn players
    girls
    disscussion
    freinds
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Are you not on the wrong forum?:-?
    BMB
    xx

14. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

But why??? You can't just say that you have to have a reason.

At my band we have two solo horns one woman one boy. Then we kind of don't have a first cause I don't want to play it and our 1st horn comes about twice a year. Then on 2nd horn there is me and another boy. So if you don't count the 1st horn it's equal.

I think anyonecan play it and I still don't get why people say tenor horns girly.

15. chizzum

chizzum Member

anyone can play it but in my mind its always girls i know of but sayin that, look at owen farr!

16. julestools

julestools Active Member

Need girlies on horn. Gives the basses something to look at (oops) :oops:

xx

Jules

17. chizzum

chizzum Member

hmmmm depends though!

18. julestools

julestools Active Member

Ah yes. See what you mean but we only have to look at the back

xx

Jules (don't wish to start the horns v basses thing again)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  19. chizzum

chizzum Member

hmmm most of the time its good i agree! holes in seats? can be goooood BUT CAN BE BAD!

20. hornyas

hornyas Member

I certainly wasn't implying that men can play better than women. I was simply making the argument that it is not as girly as people suggest ---- evidence being that most of the solo horn positions in the top bands are taken up by men. I wouldn't agree that that is 'fallacious' since Brighouse and Grimethorpe are the only all male bands left in the top 15 or so bands to my knowledge.

I think it's a bit of a laugh that this stigma is still attached to the tenor horn. I really don't get it... Perhaps it is that there are more girls playing horn than boys in the movement as a whole, but if the "girly" notion is something more than a reflection of that then I think it's a heap of rubbish.

;)

21. julestools

julestools Active Member

Better than looking at the bloke with the stick at the front though

xx

Jules

22. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

More guys play horn well...