Horn Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Horace, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Horace

Horace Member

Hi all. Was just wondering if anyone knew where I could buy the music for the Finale from the Strauss Horn Concerto? Have had a quick look on t'internet but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know if there is a recording out there anywhere? I've also been looking for music for the Wilby/ Howarth Horn Concerto's, but can't seem to find that anywhere either - does anyone know if it's been published?!?!?

Cheers in advance

Steve

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Horn Music Hi
    Wilby/ Howarth Horn Concerto
    Strauss Horn Concerto
    Finale
    Steve
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Which one do you want? Richard Strauss wrote two Horn concertos - or do you mean Franz Strauss? ;)

Also, do you want it with piano accompaniment or are you looking for a band version?

4. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Kevin Wadsworth recorded the Strauss one on one of the Dyke records (can't remember which, but I'm sure my resident anorak will know) and the copy I played it from was manuscript, but I think Tavistock have it now. :) Best of luck finding it.:D

5. Horace

Horace Member

Cheers Jillian, that's the one I'm after. Should have known you would know ;-) Can you PM me the details of someone at Tavistock so I can drop them a line and see if they have it. Cheers. Steve.

6. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Recording of Strauss Horn Concerto

Kings of Brass - Black Dyke Mills - soloist Kevin Wadsworth, cond. Peter Parkes
    Europeans 1991 - Black Dyke Mills - soloist Jacob Slagter, cond. David King
    Egon Virtuosi Brass - soloist Timothy Parker, cond. James Williams
    Day of The Dragon - BAYV - soloist David Cornelius, cond. Robert Childs

All version are arranged by Gordon Langford..

Jacob

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Wow, i'd like to hear that one - Jacob Slagter is a legend!
    French Horn player with the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam and conductor of the Netherlands Fanfare Orchestra (a fanfare band made up of professional musicians), to name just a couple of things... If I'm informed correctly, he started playing on flugel or tenor horn, before moving to French horn.

8. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Yes.. It´s highclass hornplaying in a wonderful piece... There´s another one with him on the European 1991 Disc - Intrada (Otto Ketting), soloist Jacob Slagter..

:)

9. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

This piece is 'famous' in that there are big copyright problems surrounding it, and the estate of Richard Strauss. Thats why its v difficult to get hold of an arrangement!
    By the way, the Tim Parker/Egon version was arranged by Andrew Blyth, although is in the wrong key (concert Db, rather than Eb, for some reason)
    I have done my own bb arrangement, which i've played as soloist with Becontree- although the lads told me that it was 'bloomin' hard for them!
    If you want more info, Horace, PM me.

10. the ox

the ox New Member

The Egon Virtuosi recording is my arrangement.

I gained full permission to do the arrangement from United Edition Publishers to be performed by Brighouse around 10 years ago-it's still played from time to time.

It was performed on LTTB (by B+R) and to get permission to record it ( Egon) the publishers (United Edition ) sent a recording of this to the Strauss estate (his grandson?) to hear.

As far as I know, until recently no other arrangement had been granted permission-the Strauss repertoire is very difficult to work with (legally) due to the Strauss Estate copyright etc.-hence the difficulty in getting hold of it or publishing it.

Cant speak for the other versions but I went through very proper channels.

Hope this enlightens!

Leigh Baker

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've just checked 2 CDs that it is recorded on. Dyke 'Kings Of Brass' (Chandos, 1980) and the 1991 European CD from Rotterdam. It is clearly printed on the Dyke disc that the Langford arrangement was published by Chandos Music Ltd. Maybe someone handcopied a set or maybe it was the original manuscript?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Horn Music Hi
    Wilby/ Howarth Horn Concerto
    Strauss Horn Concerto
    Finale
    Steve
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Unfortunately, just because it is on a CD doesn't mean it is available. For example, there is a stunning arrangement of "Tonight" by Mark Freeh on one of my CDs which is not available due to copyright problems. However, I would be willing to investigate with Chandos if anybody is interested in trying to buy a set? Please let me know if so! ;)

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- definitely printed on the disc as Chandos!

[​IMG]

15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, but as I tried to explain - just because it was with Chandos when the CD was made, it doesn't mean it is still with Chandos now ;) It could have been sold to another publisher, or discontinued because only one band bought a copy, or it may be no longer available because the copyright has disallowed it from further sales! Alternatively, it could still be there, sitting on shelf in the warehouse just waiting to be sold! :)

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Equally, because it is they hold/held the copyright, it doesn't necessarily mean that it would be available for wider use, either performances or recordings. There may be be all sorts of restrictions placed on it, as Leigh mentions in his earlier post.

17. starperformer

starperformer Member

you could try Argentina? that's where a lot of them went, because of the extradition thing.

18. ydna36

ydna36 Member

The Wilby Concerto you'll be able to get from June Emerson or any music store, it was published by winwood music, so you could just phone them. but i dont think the Elgar Howarth is published yet. was it written for Leslie Howie? i think it might have been, ill ask if its possible to get it from anywhere.

19. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

I just came back from the NYBBW course, where Owen Farr is playing the new concerto by Gareth Wood. It sounds brilliant!

The performances are:

July 28 | Concert: Galeri, Caernarfon 7.30pm - £6 - 01286 685222 (I don't think Owen is playing it in this concert)
    July 29 | Concert: Elfed Theatre, Elfed High School, Buckley 7.30pm - £5 - 01244 543322
    July 30 | Concert: Prichard-Jones Hall, Bangor 3.00pm - £3 - 029 2063 5640

Speaking to Owen, he's really enthusiastic about it and plans to put it on his solo CD.

Chris.

20. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

Hello Mr Ox!

When you say permission, do you mean verbal or written?

I've heard your arrangement played by various B&R horn soloists, and it is excellent! :clap:
    pity you can't get it published!

PowerRanger

21. the ox

the ox New Member

Powder Ranger

It's written permission from United Edition Publishers allowing the arrangement to have been done and allowing it to be performed by B&R.

A publication of the arrangement may well be around the corner-watch this space!
    (due to lots of requests for it from bands/individuals)

Little chance of royalties though!

Oxenburger