Horn Mouthpieces.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornydevil, Dec 3, 2003.

1. cornydevil

cornydevil Member

I am moving onto solo horn after christmas and was wondering which mouthpiece would be best? I currently play cornet (i play on a number 2 DW). Can anybody offer me any advice? :?
  2. asteria

asteria Member

Rob, fancy seeing you here!!

So you've finally seen sense and decided to move on to God's instrument (only kidding!). No idea how easy the transition between cornet and horn mouthpieces is, but I'd definitely recommend the Denis Wick, either a 2 or 3 (they come in sizes 2, 3 and 5).

I've always played on a 3 and had no problems at all with it, although a lot of it is personal preference.

Good luck!
  3. Moy

Moy Active Member

I went from flugel to horn but started on a 5. Now going to try a 3 but that's only after being on the 5 for not quite 6 months.
    Love it wish I'd gone onto horn years ago now.
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Use a Number 3 myself - I find the Number 5 to be a bit Number 2 to be honest! ;)
  5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Congratulations on your promotion!

I would recommend a Wick 3 but try and move onto a Wick 2 later for a bigger sound.
  6. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Just a thought. Will you change your username (careful)!
  7. horn1

horn1 Member

I'd always played on a Wick 2 but found upper register difficult when I moved onto solohorn. I tried a 3 and a 5 but found that it changed my sound for the worse. (thin, strident etc. etc.) A friend recommended I try a JK, I did and now I wouldn't be parted from it! It's the same size as a 2 but with a narrower apperture at the base of the cup and a wider apperture at the end of the lead pipe (I'm not very technical so forgive me if that's a load of rubbish!). All I know is I kept my sound and gained the register!
  8. I use a DW 3. Sometimes, IMHO, it's difficult to get the high notes, but that's just probably me
  9. cornydevil

cornydevil Member

Horn Mouthpieces

Thanks for the advise! :)
    Will probably try a DW3 or maybe a JK
    I thought about that Cantonian!! maybe not a good idea :lol:
    Hi Helen! hope u r well! we'll see about "gods instrument" after i give it a go, i could be horn from hell!! :lol:
  10. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

I was also having trouble with my upper register and went onto a 5. I found my sound went really woolly and that there was no depth to it.

I'm sticking to my No 2 for the time being and hoping that the upper register will come with time and practice.

11. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

When I first started on horn I used a DW 3 but the I changed to a DW 2 and it's a lot better for range and is really good for sound! They are the sizes which come with the instruments aren't they? :? Well mine did anyway :? :)
  12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I'm on a DW2 as well - its flipping hard work to get the upper register, but worth it in the end! Tried a 5 for about 2 days and gave it up as bad job - felt like a teeny cornet mouthpiece and sounded pants!!
  13. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Looking at the specifications the DW2 isn't much bigger than the 3. in reality it took me about two months to regain the high register but it was well worth persevering.
  14. When I played on a DW 5 I had some problems with the height (weird!). But I changed to the DW3, and that helped with the height! Straight against the rules, I guess?
  15. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

It's really difficult to find a good horn mouthpiece - evey other instrument seems to have loads of choice!!! (moan. whinge) DW 2 just takes practice (and a practice mute helps). I found JKs a bit "French horn"y - but it very much depends on your own make-up and playing history, and your determination to get it right.
  16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

started on a dw 5, then to a 3 after bout a month, then to a 2 after another month, had the same mouthpiece for the last 6/7 years
  17. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

It looks like theres a trend growing.

I also got promoted from a part time horn (flugel!) to a fulltime tenor and was given a DW2 which is a bit of a jump and I spose I couldve just stuck with it but I tried out the 3 and 5, and like others felt more comfortable on the 5.

But if all the greats are on 2 then I suppose I better take off the training wheels and get a big boys mouthpiece :) Not sure whether to jump straight onto 2 after Xmas or take the slow route and get a 3.

Incidentally, why isn't there a 4 or a 1? or is it so rare/rubbish that noone wants it?
  18. cornydevil

cornydevil Member

Horn Mouthpieces

Iv'e 'aquired' a DW no3 mouthpiece so will give this a go (will probably graduate to the no. 2 in a bit). Thanks for the advice everyone! :)
  19. hornette

hornette New Member

I agree, I was having major troubles with my register on the DW 3 so I bought a DW 2 and it's done my register and sound no end of good!

How much did you pay for yours? Mine was just under £30
  20. Yeah, mine was also about 30 £...