Horn Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellyfrost, Jun 19, 2007.

1. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Just a bit of a moan really... Why are there so few horn mouthpieces to choose from? I've just been on www.mouthpieceexpress.com and this is how many mouthpieces you can get for all the different brass instruments they provide for, and the only one with fewer than the "alto" horn is the mellophone...

Brass Mouthpieces 2376
    Alto Horn 10
    Cornet 446
    Euphonium/Baritone 153
    Flugelhorn 217
    French Horn 145
    Mellophone 8
    Trombone 323
    Trumpet 905
    Trumpet Picc 69
    Tuba 100

It really winds me up that there's loads of horn players out there and no one seems to want to explore new things for us like mouthpieces. I know that with cornets and a lot of other instruments you can use different cup depths and diameters and brands and even materials to suit what you want from your playing, but we don't have anything like that for horns.
    Is anybody else as miffed about this as me or am i just on a rant today...:frown:
    Sorry mods I know there was a similar post about getting Kelly to make a horn mouthpiece a little while ago, and good on Kelly for considering us, but after seeing a Kelly mouthpiece snap off in the pipe of a cornet leaving half of it behind a few days ago, I'll be rather reluctant to get one anytime soon!;)

2. deb tenor horn

deb tenor horn New Member

Yep it does anoy me! The tenor horn is the least thought of instrument in the brass band.
    I found a mouthpiece to suit by finding one in an old instrument,(it has a shallower cup, which helps me with the high reister).

3. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

The numbers seem a little skewed, but do bear in mind the following;

1. Baritones and euphoniums are different instruments, usually with different bores. The mouthpieces aren't normally interchangeable so it's hardly fair to add them together.

2. A similar thing applies to trombones. Those totals cover everything from the largest bass trombone mouthpieces, through two different bores of tenor trombone, to alto trombone and jazz 'screamer' mouthpieces.

In other words, the totals don't compare like with like.

Also, I would advise investigating a bit further. First off, try a few websites that actually get the name of your instrument "right", that might help! Secondly, look at how many different manufacturers actually make tenor horns, compared to trumpets and trombones. Why should a company that doesn't produce a tenor horn make a tenor horn mouthpiece? It makes no sense.

Finally, how many different makes and sizes of mouthpiece do you actually need for a tenor horn?! Don't wish for a surfeit of choice just for the sake of it, it can cause many more problems than it solves.

4. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Get a Denis Wick size 2. Meaty bottom range, not french horny and if you can't get the upper register on it play baritone instead!!! :D

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Might it be suggested that the reason why Mouthpiece Express has so few tenor (alto) horn mouthpieces is that it is a site based in a country where the brass band movement is not as prevalent as it is over here.
    If you compare the tenor horn to the cornet (for example) then the latter is played by a huge number of players - ok, many of them are trumpeters who don't fully understand the cornet, but they are still requiring mouthpieces to fit the instrument (and their chops) - if they were to just list the cornet mouthpieces that were designed for the brass band world, I would imagine that the numbers would be closer - not the same, but much closer.

A lot of the manufacturers (like the website) are based in the US and so they don't see the need for a vast number of tenor horn mouthpieces - it is not an instrument they will come across on a daily basis.

It is a shame for those people who play tenor horn, but it does mean you don't spend your life on a mouthpiece safari - I know a number of trumpeters who would be much better off if they didn't have such a vast choice to make their decision from. There are so many mouthpieces that it is very easy to think that a mouthpiece change will improve technical problems - with fewer mouthpieces it is more likely that you can find the actual problem, rather than searching for equipment that will solve it for you.

6. Kelly Mouthpieces

Kelly Mouthpieces New Member

"but after seeing a Kelly mouthpiece snap off in the pipe of a cornet leaving half of it behind a few days ago, I'll be rather reluctant to get one anytime soon!;)"

For what it's worth - we do have a lifetime replacement guarantee for just the S&H cost. The lexan material is as strong as polymers get. (it's also used for bulletproof glass/windshields/football helmets/nalgene bottles) Any bigger blow to the horn may have dislocated the leadpipe.
    And, we're still in the works on our new tenor horn mouthpiece.
    Jim Kelly

7. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Looking forward to trying one out! You'll have to let me know when they're available!

Got my DW2, I can't live without it! Bottom range is definitely meaty and full sounding. Upper register a bit wobbly after a Bb but if I've got a piece with lots of high stuff in it I'll use my DW3 to get a better sound on the high notes. It's a cheat I know, but if it works, what does it matter?:clap:

The main thing I was moaning about really was that horn players in general just don't get catered for with things like mouthpieces and it's the same for a lot of other accessories. Although I must say that after a seven year break there's a lot more stuff out there for us than there used to be! :) So it's not all bad, Think I was just having a full on moan lol

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

One of our players has recently moved back from baritone to horn and is playing on a DL2 - she's asked for a DL5 because she used to have one of those but it seems to be considerable smaller.

Does anyone use a DL5?

My thinking is that she'd be better sticking with the DL2 and that she may struggle with the much smaller version.

9. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

DL? Do you mean a DW/ Dennis Wick 5? If so, then no, I haven't used a DW5 since I started playing,and It got me through to Grade1 then I was told to switch to a 3 by my teacher, and then after G3 told to get a 2.
    When I started playing again after the seven year break I couldn't get much from my 2, so I used the 3 til i got my lip back in.

10. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Surely this has more to do with demand than anything else. Tenor Horns are generally only used in Brass Bands, so there isn't the same number of players.

I started on French Horn so I could get playing experience outside of Brass Bands. Result however was that I now just play French Horn. Far more involving than Tenor Horn, but do miss not being in a Brass Band.

BTW- I was using a French Horn mouthpiece with an adapter when playing Tenor Horn. Worked very well.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Mouthpieces 2376 Alto Horn
    Cornet 446
    Tuba 100It
    Kelly
    Horn 145
  12. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

God you're brave! Aren't french horn mouthpieces miniscule? How the hell do you manage to get any range? Not that I'm slagging just intrigued!!:confused:

13. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Actually, I chose the mouthpiece based on it being the same size as the DW3 Tenor mouthpiece. See http://www.horncups.com/range.htm

I use a 23W from that site.

Range I had on Tenor Horn using 23W was up to E above Super C, and down to 2 octaves below bottom C on pedals.

On French Horn, I can only get to the A above top C at present. Much harder pitching, as tubing is coming on twice the length of Tenor horn, but sounding just one tone difference.

Yes, I am an odd ball. However, there are some Horn players that do prefer larger mouthpieces, and not just for playing low parts.

14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Maybe it's the few times I've had a shot of french horn the people who I know play on piddly wee mouthpieces similar in size to my trumpet mouthpiece. You must truly be hardcore!!

15. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Just practice a lot every day. Was always told that the best mouthpiece is the largest you can manage.

16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I play on a DW2 on flug and a DW 2 on horn. Means I must be big and clever too (although can't say I practice too much) :oops: