Horn mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BENNYBOY, Feb 15, 2010.

1. BENNYBOY

BENNYBOY New Member

Been asked to go on horn. Can anyone recommend a mouthpiece

2. John_D

John_D Member

The Denis Wick mouthpieces are always a good bet. When I played horn I used a Phil Parker mouthpiece which seemed to suit me. Best advice would be to try a few and see which you feel most comfortable with.

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Alliance gets my vote.

4. brownrob

brownrob Member

What are the Bach Tenor Horn Mouthpieces like?

5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

dubious.

What instrument are you coming from?
    Can't go wrong with the DW's.

6. brownrob

brownrob Member

Not for me Aidan, this person plays the virtuosi stock TH mouthpiece and in a village band I used to help out from time to time. Despite encouragement and tips from several good players she cant seem to get any volume, her range is decent and was thinking they would get more volume at the expense of quality of sound from a Bach (purely from my own experience of playing Bach and Wicks on the Cornet), though I may be wrong. I dont think she would mind the loss of tone (she would be the best player in the band) and I understand its not the way to go about it but Im just doing what Im told :D

I personally dont know anyone who plays a bach TH mouthpiece though!

Thanks for any help you can give

7. BENNYBOY

BENNYBOY New Member

Thanks everyone. I think it's best to try a few

8. Lezuls

Lezuls New Member

Don't forget to try DW Heritage range. I bought a 3 and now the whole section has.

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I found an instant volume increase when I switched from DW to the Alliance. (as did the Flugal when they swapped too).

10. andreab

andreab Member

What did you play before? I moved from cornet to horn, starting with a DW3 but I really struggled with low notes so I went on to a DW2 which is much easier in the low register and still fine in the higher notes. I think the 'right' mouthpiece for you could partly depend on what instrument you're moving from.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    horn
    mouthpiece
    anyone
    Horn mouthpiece
  12. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

I think a good all rounder is a Dennis Wick 3...try a 2 if you are playing lower horn parts. Try and avoid the 5 even if you are playing solo horn because you'll get a thinner sound than on a 3 and the advantages in range are minimal in my experience but I guess that depends a little on your own teeth formation etc. The general advise is go as large as you can since the majority of good writing on horn aren't about range but more about tone.

I've just changed to a DW Hertigate 1A (from DW3) and finding the move a little harder up high but once you make up your mind you need a good 3 months for your lips to really get used to it - otherwise you end up constantly moving mouthpieces and that isn't good for anyone. My advice, if you coming from cornet or bari then try a DW3 for 6 months. If you coming from Euph or Bass then try something larger like DW2 or DW1A or Alliance (unless you playing solo horn stuff and need the smaller gob-iron for the high stuff). Good luck, Simon

13. BENNYBOY

BENNYBOY New Member

Thanks Simon I'll give them a try