Horn, baritone and euphonium bells

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetsquint, Apr 28, 2008.

1. cornetsquint

cornetsquint Member

When not playing and the instrument is lay on your lap, does it matter which way the bell faces in these instuments? In our band half of them tend to place them with the bells to the right (myself included) and some place them with the bell facing the left. Apart from appearances, I was wondering if one way is more acceptable then the other?
  2. Hi.I like to hold my bell tight in rehearsal so as not to make any noise.If you hold it to the left when not playing you could make the band sound sharp and if you hold it to the right you could make the band sound flat.You could try dangling your bell down between your legs.Hope this helps.
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Yes Nick, it is a problem is it not.
    Being a bass player my bell is rather large so between the legs is not an option.
    I do some times stand it on the floor but that smacks of amateurism, I find most of the time I benefit from keeping it upright (as opposed to upleft).
    I suppose people with smaller instruments may need to experiment with different positions to make up for there lack of circumference.
  4. brut33

brut33 Member

I hold mine upright as much as possible as I think it looks professional, but if I'm honest... No matter what I do I always end up covered in dribbles...:oops:
  5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I quite often hold mine pointing diagonally down to the left as to not affect the sound of the band