Hootenanny

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by stripybananas, Apr 20, 2006.

1. stripybananas

stripybananas Member

Hi does anyone know where I might get hold of a recording of Hootenanny by Harold L. Walters? I tried World of Brass & searched google desperately but no luck!
    Cheers

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I can't think of a brass band recording, but the South West Surrey Concert Band recorded this on one of their CDs - the appropriately titled Encore.
    It should be available through www.swsconcertband.co.uk or if you want to PM me I will do some further digging for you.

Might I ask why you want one, surely this piece is bad enough to play, do you really want to listen to it??;)

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

No but we've got the sheet music? Please take it and accidentally burn it.

5. stripybananas

stripybananas Member

My younger brothers training band is playing it and he hasn't the foggiest how it goes. I tried to help him but he was insisting that it went at minim = 280 - i challenge anyone to play the quavers at that tempo! lol

6. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

hehe, same here! that piece should be destroyed - and the quicker the better!!

7. Ellie

Ellie Member

at our place it is named shoot your Granny but i agree it is horrible

8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I once played Hootenanny at a massed bands gig. Three bands (one of which was from Switzerland) playing at full throttle, with all the standing up and sitting down malarky. Good job there's no recording of that performance... Those were the days.;)
    BMB
    xx

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

That's a lot more polite than we refer to it

10. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

I hav'nt played it in years, but I remember the paying public used to like it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hootenanny Hi
    Hootenanny
    Harold L. Walters
    google
    World of Brass
  12. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

And therin lies the dilemma that so many bands tend to forget these days. You must always play to entertain your audience - whatever the venue and whatever the job. Now, much as I dislike Hootenanny (and Instant Concert for that matter), if you play it at the end of a park job the audience will undoubtedly go home smiling and thinking you're the best thing since sliced bread. It always happens. Whether *you* think a piece is rubbish should never come in to it if you are expecting an audience to listen to you, and moreso if they are paying to listen to you.

The attitude should, of course, be different if you are putting on a 'serious' concert. But not much. You should never go in to a concert - wherever or whatever it might be - to try to educate your audience. That is the biggest mistake you can make.

As for Hootenanny - don't burn it. It will always come in handy some time or another.

13. brianatb

brianatb Member

Well said MRSH.

14. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Why do people harp on about Hootenanny being a 'bad' piece? If bands actually played the music properly, ie: played the correct rhythms and dynamics instead of just parping it out at fff it can be a very effective and enjoyable arrangement. I often hear bands playing arrangements that are a damn sight worse than Hootenanny!

I also agree 100% with Matt's comments:

:clap:

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I suppose Wright's arrangement of 'Sousa On Parade' and 'Miller Magic' (Denzil Stephens?) comes under the same category .... played from school to championship bands in their heyday ... but have always been firm favourites with audiences throughout the years.

16. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I suppose you have to also say that The Floral dance falls into the catergory aswell! :redface:

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- cough! yes :oops:

18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Absolutely. Why do people think that just because a piece is popular with an audience it's a **bad** piece. Floral Dance is cheesy - yes. But it is also very very popular. How many people do you get at a park job that are also big big fans of Radio 2. Cheese at it's best - but as far as audience popularity goes - you cannot beat it.

19. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I remember at Pontins in 2004, the tMP band conducted by Roger Thorne. In the Saturday night concert, one of the items was "Floral Dance", as soon as the band started, there were big smiles and shrieks of delight from the audience, and many of them were up dancing.

What is wrong with entertainment, it is what people need. I have a problem with the term 'cheese' (no offence intended) as I feel it has become a term which is used sometimes to describe anything which is fun, (again, this is not aimed at you MRSH, or anyone else for that matter).

Elgar was criticised for his Pomp and Circumstance Marches, because they were considered to be beneath someone of his stature - his reply was "What is wrong with a nice tune, people like nice tunes".

What is 'cheesy' for one or two members of a band, or even the whole band, may not be 'cheesy' for the audience.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  20. markyboy

markyboy Member

I have a great memory of going to see Hammonds (now know as YBS for the younger members!) at Slaithwaite Leisure Centre in 1979 , and for their encore they played Hootenanny.

When it was announced I was a little suprised that a top band would play this piece, as our school band had flogged it to death for the last three years, to the point of boredom.

But Hammonds played it to such a standard that I'd never heard before and when the Soprano Cornet player (Steve Fielden) stood up at the end to play a fantastic Jazz variation of 'Down By The Riverside' my jaw nearly hit the floor !! Amazing!!

Since then I have always looked at these so called 'rubbish pieces' in a different light.

IMHO there are not that many bad pieces written for Brass bands, although there are a few that are pretty awful!

Before 'Brassed Off' hit the screens how many bands would have thaught Death or Glory was good enough to play in a concert? For years it was always considered a standard road march for the sort of jobs nobody really likes doing.

At the end of the day, brass bands are here to entertain !

21. My band has just done a concert where we played both Instant Concert and hootenanny. As much as we completely hate both of the pieces an argument broke out as to which was the best of a bad job! therefore we decided to play both!!!
    The audience loved every minute and even the prize for guessing how many tunes in each was taken seriously. Someone bothering to ask me what the actual answer was to which i replied " i don't have a clue i couldnt be bothered to count!"
    So yes as awful as they are musically the better the audience like them.! we even got asked to put it on our new cd!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hootenanny Hi
    Hootenanny
    Harold L. Walters
    google
    World of Brass