homophonic texture

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TrumpetTom, May 11, 2011.

1. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Right! I've been told different meanings of the word homophonic off lots of different people. Some say it is a tune with chordal accompaniment. Some say it is strictly music moveing in block chords.

DISCUSS!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    word homophonic
    different meanings
    different people
    music moveing
    block chords
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

4. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Access Denied

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Homophonic+Texture
    The web site was restricted by the rule 'Block Non Safe Search Engine (Bespoke)'.
    Access to Google, Yahoo, Bing is only permitted as the safesearch facility can only be enforced on the Search Engines listed
    Please contact your ICT Manager/Technician for further details.
    You will be redirected to www.google.co.uk in

Will look later ;) cheers

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Crikey, your network must be sewn up tighter than Nancy Reagan's latest facelift.....

No worries, have a look on your home system. I'm sure you'll appreciate it ol' son. ;)

6. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

Hi Tom,

My understanding is that 'Homophony' is when all parts move harmonically at the same time (i.e. same rhythm, different notes) as opposed to being independent from each other ('Polyphony'). It is most common in music from the Baroque era.

Hope that helps :)

7. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Are you currently doing GCSE music?

In the official Edexcel revision guide for the new syllabus it gives the definition as chords and melody, so if you're doing their syllabus I would recommend that answer ....

If you're not (or doing a different syllabus) then I'd do what ThirteenBall said ;)

8. Zappa

Zappa Member

Yup, what he said!:tup

9. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Homophony is where parts are moving together with the same rhythm...

Melody dominated homophony is where there is a tune with chords etc underneath...

or at least that's what I've learnt for A level

10. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

Here are a few answers to your question from various sources.

"Homophony" refers to the texture of a piece of music. It means that there are two or more parts that move together in harmony to create chords. An example would be a typical four-part hymn. This is the opposite of "polyphony," where each part moves independently (as in a Bach fugue).

To define texture: Texture is how many layers of sound there are and how they relate to each other.
    Homophony is more than one layer of sound and one layer is dominate over the rest.
    An example of homophonic music would be melody and accompaniment. Someone singing a melody and a guitar accompaniing them. In this case the singer's melody would be the predominate layer of sound.A concerto is an example of homophony in classical music. A solo is played with an orchestra accompianing.
    Homophonic refers to when a single melody line or phrase is played by more than one voicing or group. it also refers to when a melody is being played with a simple accompaniment.

Homophonic music really refers to music that has a strong melody and accompaniment structure. It can be chordal (like chorales and traditional hymns), or melody with broken-chordal or waltz-like accompaniment.The number of parts may vary - you can have anything ranging from a solo piano work to a symphony in homophonic form - but what's important is a part that shows the melody and another that strengthens the harmony.

11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

This is correct. Homophony = homo + phono. Homo = the same, phono = sound. In homophony, all parts move (more or less) together rhythmically, although one voice may lead.

This is complete nonsense. There is no such thing (unless you want to count hymn/chorale tunes) as a homophonic form. Homophony is a texture

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    word homophonic
    different meanings
    different people
    music moveing
    block chords