Home practise tubas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

Just a mad thought I had…..

You never see a piano student heading for a lesson with the Steinway tied to the roof of the car. But that is what a young BBb tuba player is expected to do.

Has anyone ever tried having two instruments, one for band, one for home? Was wondering would it work until a player is a little bigger....

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi All
    BBb
    Steinway
    lesson
    Home practise tubas Hi
  3. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I tried this for years but found that I really needed the instrument I practised on to be the same as I performed on as tuning and even pitching are often unique to each instrument. My combinations were:

Band Home
    Imperial Besson 600
    981 982
    982 981 (!)
    992 Miraphone Kaiser
    982 981
    Courtois 181 981

Now I've sold everything I owned (tuba wise) and bought one of the new 982s and love it. It's dented already as it goes everywhere in its 1989 Reunion Blues gigbag.

If you're a beginner then this might work but once competent I think you should practise and perform on the same instrument.

4. DaveBBb

DaveBBb Member

My Band instrument is a new York BBb and my own instrument for practising at home is a BBb Besson 700 series that I bought several years ago. That works for me. It means that I don't have to humf the Band instrument to and from the Band room every night, but only when we've got a gig on. Saves on the dints apart from anything else. By-the-way I love playing both. They are different but equally rewarding to play.

5. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Every since i went on to bass iv always taken it home! Still do! But after lagging a BBb bass to and from the practice room for 6yrs i have now down sized to Eb bass! :p

6. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Maybe the cost of two tubas may prohibit things a bit though i own my own tuba and i like to try and keep it at home

7. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

It would be nice to have my own tuba at home and another waiting in the bandroom for practice but 'most' band instruments are neglected so it would have to be taken home for a good clean and oil! ;-)
    I do find it much easier in a gig bag than hard case but then you pay the price and end up with dents. Would never leave my own instruments anywhere other than home so to carry them back and forth is the only option for me.

8. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

I go with the whole same instrument for home and band. Practising on the same instrument allows the player to get to know the instrument inside out and work on technique to create the best sound possible. I previously used to practice on a different instrument from the one i used in the bandroom but the practice time was wasted because the bandroom instrument sounded and played completely different to the practice one.

9. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I've always taken the band instrument home for practise - until I bought my own, and that now goes to and from band(s) with me. I started on the BBb bass when I was 8 and have lugged them many miles, to and from school, including a mile walk to catch the bus. You soon get bused to it, and it builds up your character and your muscles!

10. flugman

flugman New Member

I use a 25 year old Sovereign BBb for the bandroom and concerts and for home practice a few weeks leading upto contests, the rest of the time for home use and carroling etc I bought myself a John Packer Bb c£700 which is a large bore therefore accepts the same mouthpiece. This is ideal whilst living in a flat and at the very least still lets you do everything you would normally do apart from the 4th valve work.

Like others have said when it comes down to it there is no substitute for playing the bass you use in the bandroom. But any practice is better than none at all.

11. Despot

Despot Member

Actually that is basically the position he is in now. He has a John Packer BBb, and at his last lesson, I pulled out a 992 BBb and let him have a go. He did well! But he's a little young to lug it about himself yet.

I brought the 992 home last night to give a clean, and that was an eye-opener! If anyone thinks playing a BBb is easy, let them lug one around in it's case for a few weeks and see if they change their mind! :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi All
    BBb
    Steinway
    lesson
    Home practise tubas Hi
  13. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Even if you could afford 2 top quality instruments it is well known that valved brass instruments of any make/model have tuning issues for which the player needs to compensate. There are variations in tuning even with instruments of identical make and model.

Ideally you would practice on the same instrument on which you perform.

It's actually even more key for those who suffer performance nerves. It's those unknowns (new music, new venue, new audience etc) that add to nerves. Adding a new/unfamiliar instrument to the mix is not, I would suggest, a good idea.

14. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

This is the truth. No two instruments are ever alike - there is always a difference in how they play. It's something a beginner might notice less, as they are concentrating more on pitching the note, tonguing it and finding the right combination of valves, but as time goes on the need to practise on the instrument you will be playing in band becomes ever more important.

Buy an estate car and mortgage your free time for the next 10 years!

15. pbirch

pbirch Member

there are 2 issues, firstly having a car big enough to carry your tuba, and more importantly having somewhere safe at home to keep it, and a wife who is prepared to put up with it at home (oops that's 3 issues).
    it is also worth keeping an eye on the insurance policy, some of them require that the instrument is transported in a hard case, they will not cover damage incurred if it is in a gig bag or not in a case at all

16. The band that owns my BBb has a couple spare , seeing as I am their only BBb player I have Two booked out to me ones left in the band room the other at home which gets used for concerts and the contesting band I am in.

17. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

And the issue of finding a car that fits an Eb bass, switching to Bb bass and having to buy a new car!

such examples inclube a vauxhall corsa 3dr and a citreon c2.
    But as Citreons are pants it shouldnt be a problem as you wont buy one!

18. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

BBb bass?
    Practice?
    Give over!

19. Despot

Despot Member

Well in theory it could happen!

20. Despot

Despot Member

I have two young lads on BBb and enough instruments that I can experiment for a few weeks. Gig bags came yesterday - not the size ordered - so back they go!

But interestingly, a Besson BBb and it's hard case is roughly 25kg (55lbs). Did some checking with the Health & Safety guys at work and the maximum recommended weight an adult male is advised to lift is…..25kg. For a woman and youth it's about 16kg (25lbs).

A huge Besson BBb might be traditional…..but is it a bit mad?