Home Nations Contest

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Revel8ion, Nov 18, 2003.

Would you want to have a Home Nations select contest

1. Yes

2. No

1. Revel8ion

Revel8ion New Member

Would anyone be interested in having a Home Nations select band contest? In this you would enter a band from your country (England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland) made up of the best players available. They would then compete in whatever format was decided (test piece, entertainment, march etc.) to see who had the best National band.

Who would you have in your band and who would be the Conductor and Band Manager/Secretary?
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As with all these international events, do you restrict it to players born in the relevant countries, or would you include players currently playing for bands there, as this would make quite a difference :?:
  3. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Hows about a TMP home nations contest. I'm sure we're on good numbers for every country to represent. :wink:

But 4 bands with the cream of eachj country is a mouthwatering proposition, I know that the 4 barsrest band of the year is always interesting, the names that you could have at your disposal........oh man.
  4. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I truly am an anorak - 2 days left of my notice period, won't be able to be this 'square' for much longer!!! :lol:

All English as far as I know:

Sop: Martin Winter
    Solo cornets: Roger Webster, Richard Marshall, Mark Wilkinson, Ben Rapp
    Rep: Stuart Lingard
    2nd cornet: Lee Rigg, Keith Britcliffe (back row at Dyke)
    3rd cornet: 2nd man at Fodens (sorry, don't know his name), Dave Roberts (our MD but still practices I think!)
    Flugel: Neil Hewson
    Solo horn: Owen Farr
    First Horn: Les McCormack
    Second Horn: Gemma Howley (signed with RTB, unsung but one of the best lower horns around!)
    Solo Baritone: Bob Blackburn
    2nd Bari: Helen Tyler :wink:
    solo trom: Nick Hudson
    2nd trom: Richard Ward (my brother who is MD at Regent - should have the 'kick' to match the gents either side of him!)
    Bass Trom: Mark Frost
    Euphs: David Thornton, Jamie Ogden (DT's protegee')
    Eb Tuba: Shaun Crowther, Pat Sheridan (one overseas player allowed???)
    Bb Tuba: Simon Gresswell, John Gillam
    Percussion: Simone Rebello, Chris Woods, Greg (ex B&R - don't know his surname)

Conductor: Me, ofcourse. If I get a better offer, Howard Snell :wink:
  5. Revel8ion

Revel8ion New Member

Your country of birth (or Parents). For example Sandy Smith would be eligible for Scotland whilst David Childs could play for England or Wales. Just like the football. We will however be authenticating any Irish Grandmothers, so no Jack Charlton like Managers. :wink:
  6. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Hey johnflugel, U can't have Owen Farr on solo horn He aint English.
    We welsh have got to keep some of our excelent players for our own band lol. :lol:
    No Stealing players!!! 8)
  7. Normans

Normans New Member

Here goes for Scotland. There are loads more but I suppose we have to stick to regulation band format.

Sop: Steven Stuart
    Principal: Russell Gray
    Solo Cnt: Morven Gilchrist
    Solo Cnt: Dave Prentice
    Solo Cnt: Chris Bradley
    Rep: Eleanor Ferguson
    2nd Cnt: Les Wood
    2nd Cnt: Lee Bathgate
    3rd Cnt: Hugh Foster
    3rd Cnt: Ewan Millar
    Flugel: Andrea Casey
    Solo Hrn: Sandy Smith
    1st Horn: Sheona White
    2nd Horn: Alan Wardrope
    1st Bari: Robert Richardson
    2nd Bari: Katrina Marzella
    Solo Euph: Evelyn Bradley
    2nd Euph: Allison Bonnar
    Solo Trom: Gregor Stuart
    2nd Trom: Mark Boyd
    Bass Trom: Gordon MacDougall
    EEb Bass: Craig Anderson
    EEb Bass: Gareth Ross
    BBb Bass: Andy Smith
    BBb Bass: Alan Gourlay
    Percussion: Derek Love
    Percussion: David Lyons
    Percussion: Alistair Rankine
    Triangle: Pat Murray

Conductor: Andy Duncan

Composer in residence: Peter Graham

Band Manager: Kenny Crookston/Paul Kiernan (although the band would never compete anywhere as Kenny and Paul couldn’t even agree on the colour of S***E). :wink:
  8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I think that the only way to get a fair result for this kind of competition would be to have 4 enclosed judges - one each from Oz, NZ, USA and NL/Belgium.
    The idea is, of course, totally impracticable - but a very interesting concept !!
  9. Moy

Moy Active Member

I have marked 2 players at least that are Scottish in BOLD[/b]
  10. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Ever so sorry.......

I sit next to Les McCormack every week and despite the mcname(!) he sounds far from Scottish, more of a North Yorkshire resident. I would check with him, but I am not that bothered!

Ok, for those who are offended by lack of nationality knowledge - replace Owen Farr with Sandy Smith (I gather he would be would be admitted through the grandparent rule!) stick David Altham in place of Les and Steve Sykes in place of Shaun Crowther.

Pretty decent team in my view - the English would murder the rest of the home nations, similar to the Rugby World Cup, Football, Snooker, Tiddly winks etc etc etc

11. Moy

Moy Active Member

Sandy and Les McCormack if I am not mistaken are brothers-in-law.
    Sure Sandy would play in a Scottish Band rather than an English....come on get some REAL English players.....or have not got any as good as our Scots... :wink:
    Honestly.........although a true Scot I am no Nationalist my best pal is English and my next best is Welsh.

By the way the Scottish Band are winning hands down at the mo....did I see Phil McCanns name in our band???
  12. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

i think the rules should be the person has to be the nationality of the band.
    No grandparent rule.
    I think the scotish would want sandy to play for them.
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

This is a great idea as long as we don't extend it and allow a dutch select in.

Oooh ma heid!!!!!! What an absolute shoeing.
  14. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Well Ireland is going to be in troube!!
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well there's me and keppler... that's the important sections sorted, just need to add some of those filler instruments...
  16. Normans

Normans New Member

I think you mean TREVOR McCormack who has just returned from Hong Kong to play 1st horn with The Fairey (FP) Music Band (where he is also the MD of the sponsoring company) :oops:
  17. Pete Meechan

Pete Meechan Member

Shaun is English.
  18. JamesC

JamesC New Member

This would be my Welsh Band:

Soprano - Steve Barnsley or Iwan Fox (Both outstanding on their day)
    Solo Cornets - Ian Williams, Ian Porterhouse, Chris Turner, Richard Davies
    Repiano - Nigel (used to play rep for cory, not sure where he is now)
    2nd Cornets - Phil Harris, Gengis
    3rd Cornets - Travis Griffiths, Neil Blockley
    Flugel - Jo Deane
    Solo Horn - Owen Farr
    1st Horn - Dai Cornelius
    2nd Horn - Lyn Davies
    Solo Baritone - Sue Thomas
    2nd Baritone - Gareth Ritter
    Solo Trom - Chris Thomas
    2nd Trom - John Pippen
    Bass Trom - Andy (muppet) williams
    Euphs - Dave Childs and Steve Miles
    Eb Tuba - John Prosser and Austin Davies (cant think of any other welsh Eb's)
    Bb Tuba - Frasier Bish and Matt Routley
    Percussion - Dave Mitchell, Hugh Griffiths and Alun Hathaway

As you can see, most play for Cory which is understandable, as the majority of the best Welsh players are still in Wales, the exceptions are Steve Miles, Ian Porterhouse and Matt Routley.

I think this Welsh band would be a strong contender because of the fact that the players play together quite often.

As for Conductors I think Bob would have to conduct the Welsh, Not sure about the rest, it would be very interesting to see who comes though for that, when the likes of Nick Childs might not get in, and people like Dave King cant be chosen due to nationality.

Very interesting strand this!
  19. Moy

Moy Active Member

That's the one Alan....must be old age again :wink:
    Ah well at least they have a real Englsih man on horn now :lol:
  20. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I don't see any S.A. players in any of the selected bands. Do we not rate highly enough ....or are we unknown quantities?