Home Brew

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bass Man, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Well, My first ever batch of home brew is now ready. I have pulled the inaugural pint and it actually seems quite pleasant. I'm so chuffed with the success I think I will drink lots of it tonight.

Does anyone have any home brew disasters they would care to share?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

only one ... if you are short of finings, do not use too much gelatine to do the job of clearing the yeast :oops:

3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Not so much a disaster - depends how you view it.

My father-in-law used to do home brew and always went for the lager kit. It was supposed to be 'a nice light refreshing pint' of lager. It always turned out to be the best mind-blowing full strength alcoholic drink I'd had. I could never understand why he was so disappointed with it :confused:

4. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

An old odd uncle of mine made home brew wine. Very nice for the one, after the bottle well flat on your back. He's been dead 20 years, and we've still got some bottles, but dare not open them, lol.

5. gixerjunkiemykee

gixerjunkiemykee New Member

Sounds like a resounding success to me:clap: . Say hi to Brighton Band for me

6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Do not take your nicely settled homebrew cider camping in your rather battered old 2CV. Not the smoothest of rides at the best of times and she had a broken suspension arm by then. Cider arrives at campsite beautifully mixed with sediment and the resulting 48 hour hangover is still talked about in remote parts of the Peak District.
    It tasted good on the way down...
    BMB
    xx

7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I made cider about 10 years ago, dad came home with half a dozen black sacks full of apples. Didn't half taste good, so good I had people asking me to strip their apple trees and make more! Had my first ever hangover with that stuff though. Not nice!

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Given the general reaction of your internals to regular beer, I await the outcome of this escapade with trepidation!!:-|

9. paddo

paddo Member

Made my first batch when i was 15!!(don't have a problem, honest??:0)

while sleeping one night the plastic tops on the bottles started popping and woke everyone in the house! including my dad who didn't know what I had inmy bedroom!!

That was b***** strong stuff, tom caxtons gravity 45!!

10. Texus

Texus Member

I vaguely remember pinching glasses of my grandads homebrew when i was 4 or 5 - hilariously drunk but thankfully he didn't tell my mom or dad. This obviously set the precedent for my drinking skills....

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Home Brew Well
    home brew disasters
    batch of home brew
    inaugural pint
    Does
  12. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Was it Werthers Original home brew by any chance?

13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I don't know what you could possibly mean Colin

14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

When you drink you fart. Or fall in the path of buses in Durham.