Holmfirth Contest 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Frontman, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Frontman

Frontman Member

The Annual Holmfirth Contest is on next Sunday 26th April. So far I have not heard anything regarding bands attending or even the start time. Anyone assist.

2. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

3. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

What's that about a three year break? Sure I watched last year and played three years ago. Have I got the wrong contest?

4. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Really pleased to see this contest returning to its former glory.

I too played in May 2006 and MBJ went to watch in June last year (I found the lure of the French Open too great thus missing it for the first time since 1976) so I'm not sure where the three year gap comes from. Nevertheless there are so many positives from this year's set-up including:-

Much improved prize money - yes maybe you could expect local bands to support their 'local' contest every year, but to get bands from further afield for the chance of what was a £150 first prize and loads of trophies isn't practical these days.

The return of the contest date to its traditional time at the end of April - it had been moved around a lot recently, making it harder for bands to know when to expect and plan for the contest.

The restoration of the march through the town by all the bands at the conslusion of the contest (especially funny if you've played early in the day!). I'm not sure that this is unique, but it's a fantastic spectacle, especially when the weather's good and the crowds are lining the pavements.

The much improved entries - including 3 bands in Section A who will be representing Yorkshire at the National Finals in Harrogate later this year and the introduction of a "Gala Concert" on the Saturday night - hats off to Hepworth Band (Albert Hall National Finalists, of course) for putting this on in support of the contest.

On a sadder note, my deepest sympathies go to David Eastwood and his family on the passing of his wife, Veronica, last week. David was one of the iconic members of the committee when the contest was run really well. It's great to see him back at the helm, and for so for him in particular I hope both the concert and the contest get the support that the hard work put in by the organisers deserves.

See you there.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. critic

critic Member

Well said i am sure the concert and the contest will be a succsess and yes deepest sympathies to david and is family at this difficult time

6. tuba90

tuba90 Member

There defiently hasn't been a three year gap i played last year and im sure the band were there before that. Good luck to all bands competeing especially Hade Edge!!

Matt Hoyle
    Eb Bass York Railway Institute Band

7. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Does anyone have any results info from the contest today?

8. kajoh8

kajoh8 New Member

Section A
    1st Skelmanthorpe

9. kajoh8

kajoh8 New Member

Section A
    1st Skelmanthorpe Hymn Tune and Test Pc
    2nd Hade Edge Hymn Tune and Test Pc

Section B
    !st Uppermill Hymn Tune and Test Pc Best Trombone Section and Best Conductor
    2nd Stalybridge Test Pc Best Euphonium
    3rd Skelmanthorpe B Test Pc and 2nd in Hymn Tune

Youth Prize Scisset Youth

10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Really enjoyed yesterday, after last year i thought that might have unfortunately been the end of such a fantastic tradition in the area but yesterday was an enormous credit to the organisers of the contest who not only put on a fantastic concert on the saturday night, but ran the contest with such expertise. Really well done guys!!!!!!

Well done to both Skelmanthorpe bands!!!!!! Both were great performances (even with the accidental major third in the opening horn line of Salute to Youth from an 'un-named' horn player :p).

As i said, it was an excellent day, so lets just hope there are maybe even more entries next year and let's keep this fantastic contest going!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Holmfirth Contest 2009 The Annual Holmfirth Contest
    Annual Holmfirth Contest
    bands
    start time
    Sunday
  12. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

What a great weekend that turned out to be! Excellent audiences for the cracking concert given by Hepworth on the Saturday evening, and throughout the day of the contest. It was just like the Holmfirth Contest back in the good old days – even the weather played its part! Thanks to David and his efficient team of organisers. It was great to see so many people lining the pavements for the march through the town as well. Congratulations to all who took part this year - I know where I’ll be on Sunday 25th April 2010! :clap:

13. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Who won the JIM BATTYE cup for best basses ? Has the grail gone missing again ?:confused:

14. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

I was told Skelmanthorpe B, but that was after quite a few Stella's. No doubt MBJ will confirm or otherwise. Anyone know who won the raffle?

15. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

They might have won it...was bluey playing for them ? he is a battye bass winner.:clap:

16. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I heard the word 'Skelmanthorpe' Followed by something else, but at that point my ears were filled with the cheering from the nearby shat banders. the previous winners on the cup however were in section b for the last 5 years or so.

17. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Anyone know who won the prize for the band not in the prizes ?;)

18. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Oh yes - and he helped the A band out as well so that doesn't solve the mystery, but at least your favourite trophy is in safe hands.

19. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Anyone know who won the prize for the best holme valley band not in the prizes not having any member in it who won the raffle with the best silly walk on the roadmarch not in the prizes ?

20. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Better in bluey s mitts than that pennine brass lot !

21. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Holme Silver.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Holmfirth Contest 2009 The Annual Holmfirth Contest
    Annual Holmfirth Contest
    bands
    start time
    Sunday