Holme Valley Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by WOODHEAD, Mar 18, 2012.

WOODHEAD Member

Hi, does anyone know how many bands have entered Holme Valley Contest? and names of bands which are taking part?

Thank you

Ady [​IMG]
  2. peterg

peterg Member

Hi, all seems a little quiet regarding who is playing? Ripon city - 3rd section are definately going

3. robcav

robcav Member

Skelmanthorpe are going in top section.
  4. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

Have not seen any info on this.

What time does it start ?
  5. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Any results yet?
  6. Frontman

Frontman Member

Skelmanthorpe B won everything in Section B I believe. Congratulations to Phil Garlick and the band.
  7. Jethro

Jethro Member

No they didn't win everything Just the contest and the conductors prize I believe
  8. Frontman

Frontman Member

Sorry I must have misunderstood.

Anyone know the full results please?
  9. critic

critic Member

Top Section1st Hade edge 2nd skelmanthorpe 3rd wakefield Met. Dont knowrest
  10. Hedger

Hedger New Member

Youth section
    1 Hade Edge Youth
    2. Scissett Youth Band
    3. Hade Edge Training
    Section B
    1 Skelmanthorpe B
    2. Ripon City
    3. Dinnington Colliery

Hymn tune 1 Ripon City
    2. Skelmanthorpe B
    Section A
    1. Hade Edge
    2. Skelmanthorpe
    3. Wakefield Met

Hymn tune 1. Skelmanthorpe
    2. Hade Edge
  11. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

What pieces did the bands play?
  12. Hedger

Hedger New Member

In section A, Hade Edge played Chivalry, Skelmanthorpe and Wakefield Met played The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. Don't know about Section B.
  13. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

Uppermill came 3rd in the hymn and 4th in the testpiece. Won best 2nd Section Band. Uppermill played Cross Patonce and Whitburn. York RI played Connotations for Brass Band.
  14. timyarby

timyarby New Member

Ripon City played Olympus. And won the percussion prize.
  15. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

On the strength of that, uppermill were a bit hard-done-by. Alright the adjudicator has clearly heard them play the 2nd section area piece and put them behind the bands that played the top-section piece on difficulty alone - but based on what happened on stage I'm not sure that's the right thing to do.

I suppose it's the old debate of whether it's better to play a hard piece poorly or an easier (becasue 'easy' simply cannot be used to describe cross patonce) piece creditably well?

At the end of the day, it's an own choice contest, so you'd expect a band to play something they can cope with - even if it is the area piece.
  17. timyarby

timyarby New Member

18. Hornator

Hornator New Member

actually they also won the prize for best trombone section. What a good doo! :clap:
  19. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

uppermill got best euph. linthwaite got best soloist i think it was.... or solo cornet... :S thats for whole contest. uppermill got best basses i think.