Hollywood - Goff Richards

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vcbjet, Jun 29, 2004.

1. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

Hi folks,

Our local association contest music has just been announced and my band will be playing in the 2nd Section (national 4th) where the test peice is 'Hollywood' and i just wanted to know what people thought about it? Is it hard? Does it have many solos? Is there an online recording? How fun will the peice be to work on?

Any other thoughts welcome!

2. Hi James

I played this in the Areas in about 1996. It's a cracking piece of music and really good fun to play. You need a very good and energetic percussion section and a decent flugel and trombone to play the solos.

It basically has music from ebery film genre - romance, action, silent comedy to name but a few.

You'll have great fun!

If you want a CD recording it's on the Areas CD for 1996 but check this date out - I'm not 100% sure. It also has 'Sounds' for Championship Section, 'Mexican Fiesta' for 4th and 'Divertimento' for 3rd. A good CD if you can still get it. I think it was recorded by Doyen so try them first.

Hope this helps. Have fun and good luck!

Portishead Town Band
  3. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Toppy just beat me to it. The CD is called "Sounds" and was released by Egon Publishers (EGN-CD-107). Why not try our good friends at World Of Brass, they may stock this CD.

I hope you enjoy the piece - I think it's one of Goffs good-uns, along with "The Aeronauts".
  4. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Well it was written by Goff Richards, so it must be great!! :wink: :D :D
  5. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Great piece...we won off number one draw at yorkshire area...brings back memories!

Edit: Bad Grammar!
  6. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

Thanks for your thoughts folks.
    With regard to the recording is there any site which has the peice or even an excerpt on it where i can listen to it for free(i dont really wanna pay all that money for a Cd with one track i wanna hear on it!). One last q. wot is the Euph part like, just so i know?

7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Euph part is fantastic, it's a great piece!
    Starts off with some wide glisses from Bb (middle of stave) up an octave... I think- or something like that, which if played on a bad day can reeeeally knacker up your lips. Other than that it's fantastic, just have good fun with it! :wink: There are a few areas where Euph solo's occur, mainly as dialogues with other instruments.
    have fun! :wink:
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yeah...it's a good piece. You need a good set of percussionists (I think it was written for about 5???) and there is a whacking great Flugel solo right in the middle of the piece. It's not technically hard but the flugel has to get the style right and needs to have a good tone (IMHO) but as I remember it's an enjoyable piece to play and rehearse.
  9. jonford

jonford Member

There is an excerpt on Obrasso's website, but its only short!

A link to the page is here:
  10. It's a great piece to listen to - not sure about to play cos I've never played it. If you want a recording, Fodens did a Goff Richards CD called Brass Explosion - it's a really good CD.
  11. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Only done it in practise but seem to remember it's only 3 you need, but 3 players who are good and on the ball (especially the xylophonist at the beginning!)

I didn't think they were on the part :? I thought it was just done on the Britannia recording. I might be wrong though!
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Other recordings in addition to "Sounds" - which I recently picked up cheaply in a sale - are Britannia Building Society's "Champion Sound" (Obrasso CD 840), Foden's "Brass Explosion" (Obrasso CD 863 - all Goff Richards) and the wind band version is on "Spectacular Sound" by the RAF Central Band (Obrasso CD 862).
  13. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Just to emphasise here, if you don't have a SERIOUSLY clued up tuned percussionist, find one. The notes aren't hard but you needs sticks of fury to fit them all in!

Fantastic test piece. One of the best IMO.
  14. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

They are on the Euph part because i've played it :roll: :wink:
  15. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

It's a fantastic piece. We are a 4th section band but came 4th at Whitehaven this year in the 3rd section with it - lots of nice solos and a very lively test piece - I cant imagine any band not enjoying it. :D
  16. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I thought it might be, it's just the euph player at my old band 'claimed' they weren't!
  17. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

and which band was that Tom?;-)

all the best for October t The Albert Hall

18. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Er let me see! :lol: She did claim it Mike, though it was ages ago!
    Well played at Pershore by the way, CD's good too! (Anything else you want me to plug Mike? :wink: :) )
  19. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thanks Tom...Staffs as usual were top notch....

I'll let you know on the plugs Tom...as a first...any solo Troms requiring a seat?...we need one to stand in for Rob Clarke while he is touring the world over the next year...and some regular Percussion players wouldnt go amiss to save us having to pinch Staffs.

cheers mate
  20. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

does anyone who played this still have the official errata sheet (if there was such a thing?)