Hollywood - 3rd Section Test Piece 2013

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tubafran, Feb 6, 2013.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We've been playing off parts that were last used at the 1996 Area test piece and there are a number of errors corrected on our parts however I dropped a line to Obrasso to see if they had a copy of the errata sheet for this.

The reply I got was as follows:

[FONT=&quot]Many thanks for your enquiry. There is no errata sheet available.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If your BB score shows a copyright line (footline) including the note “2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Edition June 1996” - then you already have a corrected version of the arrangement.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Attached please find a copy of the first page of the score to check.

Clearly this must have been republished after the 1996 area contest - so what edition is anyone else playing on? Or does anyone have the errata from the 1996 contest?

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

We've found a couple of errors in our parts as well as a few differences between scores. Typical! There's no real excuse when a piece has been out this long in electronic form for errors still being printed.
  3. LittleTrom

LittleTrom New Member

we found this too so we bought the new version and there are just as many errors in that one as well :-?
  4. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

I could make a whole errata sheet for the 1st bari part alone!!
  5. I played the bass part last night. It's one big error. Yawn.
  6. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

Please see below information received today from Alan Hope, Secretary, Music Panel. This errata only applies to bands using an original puiblication of Hollywood which pre dates 1996.

Hollywood Errata
    The following is an errata sheet from the composer, the late Goff Richards, issued with the earlier set of score and parts pre 1996. If you have purchased a recent set of this work, no errata has been issued by the publishers.

1 bar 82 1[SUP]st[/SUP] horn, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] note should be G natural.
    2 bar 86 Bb Bass 1st note should be A.
    3 bar 92 Glock should be CEF
    4 bar 94/5 Glock should be GEDCD
    5 bar 128 Soprano 1[SUP]st[/SUP] note should be C natural.
    6 bar 141 Euph 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] note should be E natural
    7 bar 160 All parts & score should be: minim = 84.
    8 bar 170 Soprano 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] note should be C natural.
    9 bar 212 Repiano 1[SUP]st[/SUP] note should be D sharp.
    10 bar 221 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Horn last note should be Db.
    11 bar 225 Solo Horn note should be G natural.
    12 bar 229 Euph 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] note should be Gb
    13 bar 255 Eb Bass last note should be F (not G as written in the part).
    14 Final bar Soprano should be G (top space).

No other errata have been issued by the publisher.

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks Peggy, it's also been copied on to the 4barsrest FB page on a thread headed Hollywood
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and for anyone playing from the 1st edition these instructions are given when playing with "only" 3 percussionists

If only playing with three shed builders then percussion 3 may be TACET, except for the following bars that may be performed by other members of the section in addition to their own parts:

1+10 Clash Cymbals to be played by Percussion 2 (Cymbal)
    15-39 Whistle to be played by Timpanist (in addition to Timps)
    40+41 Clash Cymbals to be played by Persussion 2 (Cymbal)
    47 Cow Bell to be played by Percussion 2
    47-62 Whistle to be played by Timp
    83+84 Sus Cymb to be played by Perc 2
    106+107 Sus Cymb to be played by Perc 2
    115+118 Clash Cymb to be played by Timp
    136-143(1st beat) Triangle to be played by Perc 2 (Cymbal Dome)
    178-182 Bass Drum to be played by Timp (instead of Timps)
    185 Clash Cymb to be played by Perc 2
    192 Clash Cymb to be played by Perc 2
    200-218 Tamb to be played by Perc 1 (own part TACET from 197)
    221 Glock to be played by Perc 1 (resumes own part here)
    224+226 Clash Cymb to be played by Perc 2 (Cymb)
    244+264 Clash Cymb to be played by Perc 2 (Cymb)
    279-294 Whistle to be played by Timp (in addition to Timps)
    310 Bass Drum to be played by Perc 2
    318 Clash Cymb to be played by Perc 2 (Cymb)
    323 Clash Cymb to be played by Perc 2 (Cymb)

Those are the instructions from the 2nd edition score

(Thanks to Archer for writing that out)
  9. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Ive said that about basses for years now !
  10. :clap:
    To be fair, I have conducted this piece a couple of times and always got cross when the bass players were absent. I now sympathise.
  11. Jane Stewart

Jane Stewart New Member

Just checked the Kapitol website for errata - nothing there. Good job Peggy is though!
  12. Ianroberts

did you pay the extra for a proper one, or jsut te standard fee ?
  13. euphman1

euphman1 New Member

I played this piece in 1996 when the errata sheet was published about 10 days (don't quote me on that) before contest day and playing the "errata corrections" made it feel like we were playing wrong after weeks of rehearsals. So far, our mistake/misprint/that cannot be correct count on the aforementioned 2nd edition version is 31 plus!!!!!!!
  14. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

A further errata has been issued to bands for Hollywood :-

Errata Hollywood Goff Richards Section Three Regions 2013
    The following have been identified as errors on earlier copies of this work:
    Bar 10: 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Baritone - D natural (4[SUP]th[/SUP] line)
    Bar 22: Trombones-Dynamic missing mp.
    Bar 31: Baritone & Trom dynamics-should be f
    Bar 42: 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Cornet-should it be C#
    Bar 60: Euphonium-final quaver should be D
    Bar 82: 1[SUP]st[/SUP] horn -2[SUP]nd [/SUP]note should be G natural
    Bar 86: BBb Bass-1[SUP]st[/SUP] note should be an A
    Bar 100: 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Baritone-4[SUP]th[/SUP] beat should be A#
    Bar 128: Soprano- 1[SUP]st[/SUP] note is a C natural
    Bar 134: EEb bass - 1[SUP]st[/SUP] note should be F natural
    Bar 141: Euphonium-2[SUP]nd[/SUP] note should be E natural
    Bar 170: Soprano-2[SUP]nd[/SUP] note - should be C Natural
    Bar 193: EEb & BBb Basses-Notes should be Naturals not flats
    Bar 202 : Soprano-4[SUP]th[/SUP] note should be C natural
    Bar 212: Repiano-1[SUP]st[/SUP] note should be D#
    Bar 221: 2nd Horn -last quaver should be a Db
    Bar 225: Solo Horn - G natural
    Bar 229: Euphonium-3[SUP]rd[/SUP] note should be a Gb
    Bar 239: Euphonium-3[SUP]rd[/SUP] beat should be a C natural
    Bar 255: EEb bass – 3rd beat should be F
    Bar 291: Euphonium-last quaver should be C natural
    Bar 298: Euphonium-last quaver should be E natural
    Bar 315: Baritones-Bb not B natural
    Bar 324: Soprano-Top G.
  15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I would imagine that is a most helpful post ~ Bravo YRBBC !

~ Mr Wilx
  16. Hornator

Hornator New Member

I presume 2nd Baritone should have the same articulation and ties as 1st and 2nd Horn in bars 160-162.?
  17. Frontman

Frontman Member

Yes apparently that's yet another printing error.
  18. Ianroberts

For god sake, let them have their moment, for once they can be bad, but look the conductor in the eye and say "its wots written guv" !!!!
  19. Archer

Archer Member

I've been over the score and the countless erratas/opinion and reckon we have a KEY errata which I tried with my band tonight. I say key as I expect people can spot and fix things like 2nd horn having 4 beats in a bar of 3/4 quite easily - it does omit several simple things like that.

This is for the 1994 (2nd Edition 1996) score.

Bar 10: 1st Barri D natural. I tried it with the Cb which adds a cheeky b9 to the chord however it doesn't fit with the style of music at all. I like both but I have to say that D natural is the way forward.
    Bar 22: Trombones - missing mp in their dynamics. This just brings them in line with the rest of the band.
    Bar 82: 1st Horn - Leave it as it is - you may disagree as every other errata has said it should be G natural however I feel it works a lot better as written - Not blowing my own "tuba" (and I would never EVER go against Goff if thats what he intended) but I know a lot about this style as my dissertation was written on it and the published score captures the mood and harmonic fantastically.
    Bar 100: 1st Bari - Should be A#
    Bar 134: Eb Bass - 1st note is F natural. I tried both this and the published note and the results were instantly acceptable.
    Bars 160etc: 2nd bari should have same articulation as 1st and 2nd horn. THANK GOD!
    193: Eb and BBb basses should be naturals - not flats. Common sense if you read your score and actually listen to it.
    202: Sop and solo horn on C naturals (not sharps). Get this change in quickly as it'll save a lot of scale related tears.
    315: Bari's on Bb - not naturals. Again, I'm sure everyone picked this up but I'm just mentioning it as it's on my list.

I know that the other editions have many more changes and a lot of people have asked many questions about other bars. I have compiled all of the information form here/facebook and read all the published erratas and this is what I came up with for Edition 2. I've tired to do a good job (for my bands the tMP community) but if I've missed anything then please shout up. It took a good hour so I admit that I may have gotten lazy at some point.

20. Jane Stewart

Jane Stewart New Member

And there's still nothing on the Kapitol website! Granted, there's still a couple of weeks to go until the Yorkshire Areas, but given that Kapitol says "2013 Regional Championships Errata will appear here, if and when it is released by the Music Panel for the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain"; if they don't release an official one, will bands be penalised for correcting the obvious mistakes, when the adjudicators will be working off an uncorrected score?