Holidays for April

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MRSH, Apr 1, 2006.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Something for everyone....................

Month:
    National Humour Month
    International Guitar Month
    Keep America Beautiful Month
    Lawn and Garden Month
    Poetry Month
    National Pecan Month
    National Welding Month
    Stress Awareness Month
    Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Weekly Celebrations:
    Week 1 Library Week
    Week 1 Read a Road Map Week.
    Week 2 Garden Week
    Week 3 Organize Your Files Week
    Week 3 Medical Labs Week
    Week 4 Administrative Assistants Week
    Week 4 National Karaoke Week

Each Day:
    1 April Fool's Day
    1 International Tatting Day
    2 Children's Book Day
    2 National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day
    2 Reconciliation Day
    3 Don't Go to Work Unless it's Fun Day
    3 Tweed Day
    4 Hug a Newsman Day
    4 Walk Around Things Day
    4 School Librarian Day
    4 Tell a Lie Day
    5 Go for Broke Day
    6 Plan Your Epitaph Day
    6 Sorry Charlie Day
    7 Caramel Popcorn Day
    7 No Housework Day
    7 National Walk to Work Day
    7 World Health Day
    8 All is Ours Day
    8 Draw a Picture of a Bird Day
    9 Name Yourself Day
    9 Winston Churchill Day
    10 Golfer's Day
    10 National Siblings Day
    11 Eight Track Tape Day
    11 Barbershop Quartet Day
    12 Big Wind Day
    13 Russian Cosmonaut Day
    13 Scrabble Day
    14 International Moment of Laughter Day
    14 Look up at the Sky Day
    14 National Pecan Day
    14 Reach as High as You Can Day
    14 Ex-Spouse's Day
    15 Rubber Eraser Day
    15 Titanic Remembrance Day
    16 National Eggs Benedict Day
    16 National Librarian Day
    16 National Stress Awareness Day
    17 Blah, Blah, Blah Day
    17 Dyngus Day
    17 National Cheese ball Day
    17 Patriot's Day
    18 International Juggler's Day
    18 Pet Owners Independence Day
    19 National Garlic Day
    20 Look Alike Day
    20 Volunteer Recognition Day
    21 Kindergarten Day
    22 Girl Scout Leader Day
    22 National Jelly Bean Day
    23 Lover's Day
    23 Take a Chance Day
    23 World Laboratory Day
    24 Pig in a Blanket Day
    25 East meets West Day
    25 National Zucchini Bread Day
    25 World Penguin Day
    26 Executive Admin's Day (Secretary's Day)
    26 Hug an Australian Day
    26 National Pretzel Day
    26 Richter Scale Day
    27 Babe Ruth Day
    27 National Prime Rib Day
    27 Tell a Story Day
    28 Great Poetry Reading Day
    28 Kiss Your Mate Day
    29 Greenery Day
    29 National Shrimp Scampi Day
    30 Hairstyle Appreciation Day
    30 National Honesty Day

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tatting Day 2 Children's Book Day 2 National Peanut Butter
    Garden Month Poetry Month National Pecan Month National Welding Month Stress Awareness Month Sexual Assault Awareness Month Weekly Celebrations
    National Humour Month International Guitar Month Keep America Beautiful Month Lawn
    Executive Admin's Day
    Barbershop Quartet Day 12 Big Wind Day
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

If your birthday is today (apart from being a fool :) ) this is for you.

International Tatting Day

When: Always on April 1st

Tatting Day has been celebrated internationally for over 4 years now. April 1st is the International Tatting Day.

Tatting is a needlepoint skill of making delicate, elegant tatted lace. It is enjoyed by thousands of people.

On this day, "tatters" around the world have different activities, mostly educational, to celebrate their hobby, and introduce it to others. Often, they celebrate by eating chocolates and making tatted lace.

4. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I sooo should've been born on the 1st of April! *Waits for sugarandspice to read this thread and comment...*

But no, I get to celebrate either Hairstyle Appreciation Day, or National Honesty Day on my birthday (the 30th - don't forget it!).

Oh the decisions...!!! :biggrin:

5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Don't laugh at Liz, cos she's a fool.....do do. do doo doo dee dee do. Oh the fun we had on holiday with that one!

Isn't everyday National Hairstyle appreciation day?! And as for your Birthday being on national honsty day, HA!

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Wedding Anniversary :eek: - and anyway I'm already broke
    Birthday :eek: :eek: :mad:
    Bass players of the world rejoice - 12 April is just for you

7. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Well, if it's your birthday today you have a choice of three. Personally I like the idea of Peanut Butter and Jelly.

National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day

When : Always April 2nd
    National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day celebrates the "PB and J" sandwich. Its the favorite lunchtime sandwich of American kids, and many adults, too. Some kids practically live on Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.

International Children's Book Day

International Children's Book Day encourages reading, and promotes the love of books for children. The best and fastest way to develop our young children into intelligent human beings is by teaching them to read. Instilling a love of reading promotes a lifetime of learning and enjoyment.
    Libraries celebrate today with story telling hours and other events for young children. You can celebrate today by giving a new book to each of your kids. If they are too young to read, spend time reading stories to them. Its a great and memorable bonding time for you and your child.

Reconciliation Day

Reconciliation Day is a special day to patch relationships and to make amends. It's intention is to re-establish relationships between family, friends and couples. Life is too short to hold a grudge between those we love.
    Estranged couples may find today to be an opportunity to work out their problems. People who have had a "falling out" with family members are encouraged to reach out and "mend the fence".
    For those considering a reconciliation, the old saying is "It's never too late". But, that is not true. Someday, it could be too late. So, please use today to begin your reconciliation.

8. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

3 Don't Go to Work Unless it's Fun Day

Its my 1st day back at work after 3 months off!! Its not going to be fun so can I have anther day at home?;)

9. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I didn't notice the first one until it was too late. It wasn't fun today.

Don't Go to Work Unless it's Fun Day

When : Always April 3rd
    Don't Go to Work Unless it's Fun Day might be your day to sleep in. If this day falls on a Saturday or Sunday when you are normally off of work, it's an easy day to participate in. Otherwise, make sure you get your boss' approval prior to participating.
    Wouldn't it be nice to wake up in the morning and decide whether you will go to work? If it is going to be fun at work, you get up and go. Otherwise, you turn over and go back to sleep.
    Employer Tip: To increase attendance today, we suggest you consider things that will make it fun to go to work. Like the promise of a paycheck, benefits,..............
    Warning: We strongly suggest that anyone thinking of not going into work, clears it with their boss first! Special and bizarre days are fun to participate in. But, not at the risk of losing your job.

Tweed Day

When : Always April 3rd
    Tweed Day celebrates the warm, fashionable woolen clothing that originated in Scotland. Seemingly always in fashion, Tweed keeps you warm and looks good, too. It should come as no surprise to learn that tweed is more popular in the north, and not often worn in the south.
    Definition of Tweed: Originating in Scotland, tweed is a thick woolen , twill styled material. Tweed jackets, suits and slacks are popular.
    Wearing something tweed from your wardrobe is an absolute must today. But better still, buy a new tweed outfit and wear it today.

10. sugarandspice

I went to work today. It wasn't fun!

and i think the less said about tweed the better!

Bring on Go For broke day! I think thats going to be my day!

11. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I went to work too - it was great to see everyone again for the first time since the new year and catch up on the latest gossip! Definitely fun!

As for tomorrow, I don't think I'm going to be lucky enough to see a newsman to hug, I'm not a school librarian, and I don't like lying, so I'm going to be walking around things...better than walking into them I suppose! :redface:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tatting Day 2 Children's Book Day 2 National Peanut Butter
    Garden Month Poetry Month National Pecan Month National Welding Month Stress Awareness Month Sexual Assault Awareness Month Weekly Celebrations
    National Humour Month International Guitar Month Keep America Beautiful Month Lawn
    Executive Admin's Day
    Barbershop Quartet Day 12 Big Wind Day
  13. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

OK. April 4th is a busy day. So if it's your birthday today you have a lot to choose from.

Hug a Newsman Day (Why!!)
    When : Always April 4th
    Hug a Newsman Day gives you the opportunity to give a great, big hug to your local newsperson. C'mon, admit it. You've watched your cute newsman day in and day out. You've always told your self if you ever see him, you would give him a great, big hug. Well, today is your opportunity.

Any questions on how to celebrate this day?

Important Note: Today is also a day to hug a news "woman". They wouldn't want to be left out of this very special day.
    Walk Around Things Day
    Walk Around Things Day is an important day to avoid problems and risks, by simply walking around the potential problem. You wouldn't walk under a ladder, would you? Then, it is also wise to walk around objects, especially those that pose risk or danger.

"Walk around things" can also be used figuratively. It is also wise to walk around, or avoid, topics issues, and problems that are sticky, may provoke an argument, or are not readily solved.

If ever there was a day to "Walk Around Things", today is that day.
    School Librarian Day
    School Librarian Day honors those who serve our young students so well in the local school libraries. The education of young minds needs to be nurtured and fed. Feeding those minds with good quality, yet challenging reading material and reference materials is what school librarians excel at.
    Take a minute today, to appreciate all the hard work that a school librarian does daily, and the patience the librarian displays, as he or she aids our youth.
    You may choose to show your appreciation to School Librarians in a variety of ways, including:
    • Give the librarian a big smile and a big "Thank You!"
    • Tell you librarian that she is doing a wonderful job.
    • Send an Ecard
    • Buy an appropriate book or reference material, and donate it to the library
    Tell a Lie Day
    Tell a Lie Day..... if you ever need to tell a lie, today is the day to do so.
    We don't create these days, we only report them. Why someone would create a day to encourage a person to lie is hard to comprehend. Be that as it may, today is the day to tell lies, big and small.
    Tomorrow, we can all get back to the virtue of "honesty is the best policy".
    If you find today a bit discomforting, you can look forward to National Honesty Day later in the month.
    Important Note: If you choose not to participate in this day, we will look up to you!

14. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

April 7th - No Housework Day

I'll be going home from uni that day - does this mean that I don't have to tidy the place up before I go? Surely things won't get that mouldy in 2 weeks? :-?

15. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

If it's your birthday today (5th April) then it is a day for 'Going for It'

Go For Broke Day

When : Always April 5th

Are you a gambler? Then, today, is your day. It's Go For Broke Day. Today is a day to put it all on the line, and take a chance. It might be money. Or, it can be a love relationship. Perhaps, it's time to initiate a risky project, or to take a new job.
    Many of us go about our daily lives playing it safe, not taking big chances. If you are of a conservative ilk, you may have never gone out on a limb, or taken big risks. If this sounds like you, maybe today is a day to really let loose and "Go for Broke".
    If you can muster up the courage to take a big risk, you can enjoy today by taking big risks and "Going for Broke". We will leave it up to you to decide whether the risk is worth taking.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  16. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Today is a day for the morbid ;)

Plan Your Epitaph Day

When : Always April 6th

Plan Your Epitaph Day is a day is a little bit morbid for my liking. My first thought was who would create this day? And, why? I don't want to think about it, let alone plan it.

However.............

When you stop to think about it, maybe it's best if you do it. You never know what a relative or friend may put on your tombstone once you're gone. Or, worse still, what if they "don't" say anything?

While we're young, we think this is a long ways away. As we age, and get wiser, more of us consider getting directly involved with our epitaph, as well as all of the details of our demise.

So, if you need a little nudge to plan your epitaph, let today be the day.

Which also begs the question - what would you have as your epitaph??

Sorry Charlie Day

When : Always on April 6th
    Have you ever been rejected? For anything? Sure you have! We all have. Sorry Charlie Day is for all of us who have been spurned, and yet somehow survived it.
    Take a minute today and reflect upon a past dejection. Then, smile with the realization that "_ _ it happens....to all of us!"

17. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Well, if its your birthday today you have a lot to do.

Caramel Popcorn Day
    When : Always April 7th

Caramel Popcorn Day is an opportunity to enjoy the combination of two great treats - Caramel and Popcorn. This tasty, chewy treat is hard to beat. Caramel popcorn is readily found in popcorn tins and specialty shops.

If you are like me, you don't need an excuse to eat any kin of popcorn. So, you can easily guess what you need to do to participate in this day. While other flavors of popcorn is fine any other day, today it must be caramel popcorn.

A great way to make this day truely memorable, is to make homemade caramel popcorn.

No Housework Day

No Housework Day is your chance to do anything, except housework. Better still, have someone else do the chores for a day. Housework is a daily, seemingly endless and repetitive groups of tasks. It often goes unrecognized and worst of all..... taken for granted. But, watch out! If the dishes aren't done, or there's no clean towels, somebody takes note.

There's two ways to celebrate this day:
    If you normally do the housework around the house, cease and desist for this day. Instead, kick back and enjoy the day. Relax and do anything, except housework.
    If you are a spouse or significant other, do the housework for your mate. It gives her (or him) a break from the housework. And, you just might get an appreciation of how much work it takes to keep up the house.

National Walk to Work Day
    When : First Friday in April

U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy G. Thompson declared the first National Walk to Work Day as April 2, 2004. With obesity and sedentary lifestyles growing at an alarming rate, National Walk to Work Day was initiated to draw attention to the need to get out and exercise, and to get in shape.

On this day, Americans are encouraged to walk to work. If you can't walk to work, walking during lunch time, or another time of the day. The goal is to walk 30 minutes a day. Health officials are hoping this will encourage people to add a 30 minute walk to their daily lives. Health officials, medical agencies, and medical organizations around the country state that a 30 minute walk will significantly improve you health. The benefits are many, including lower weight, less chance of heart disease, less risk of diabetes, and much more. This translates to a longer and healthier life.

Unmentioned in other articles, is the emotional and mental benefits of walking. Walking is relaxing and peaceful. If you walk in a park, or along a waterfront, it can be captivating. Need a quick picker upper? Take a walk today.

Note: Walking is free of charge. And, as of this writing there is no tax on walking, either.

So, if you can't walk to work today, walk 30 minutes at a convenient time. Then, make it a apart of your daily life.

World Health Day

Sponsored by United Nation's World Health Organization (WHO), World Health Day focuses upon a different health theme each year. It is an international event to emphasize and work on important health issues or problems. Many countries around the world participate.

Major activities on world health Day focus upon, awareness, education programs, and fund raising activities to help with the health issue for the year. Countries also work on resolving problems related to the theme.

Recent annual themes:
    • 2006 -Health Workers
    • 2005 - Make Every Mother and Child Count
    • 2004 - Road Safety
    • 2003 - Healthy Environments for Children
    Have a good birthday if yours is today.

18. sugarandspice

my local radio station keeps saying its national hug day today. And encouraging people to go and hug anyone they secretly like :) will be interesting to see who's hugging at work today! :) Anyone wanting to send me a virtual hug.....feel free! :)

19. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Maybe that's just a West Country thing because for the rest of us National Hugging Day was on the 21 January.

About National Hugging Day
    When: Always January 21st

What a great day! This is an opportunity to give and to receive. Give a hug, and you automatically receive one in return. Sure, someone might not hug back. But, how often does that happen!?!
    Hugs are loving. Hugs are therapeutic. Hugs are caring. Hugs are celebratory. Hugs make you feel good inside. Have you ever received a hug from someone who didn't care? I didn't think so. That's proof positive that you're loved and cared about.
    Celebrate today by giving hugs to family, friends and loved ones. You'll love the warm feeling you get.

20. Jamie

Jamie Member

April 7th- No housework day... wish I'd read that before I did the washing up...

I know a few people who seem to think its April 7th every day...:rolleyes:

21. sugarandspice

Hmmm, you may have a point, I've googled it and most places are saying 21st of Jan.

It's definately happening in cornwall tho- i have proof!!
    http://www.piratefm102.co.uk/gallery.asp

Maybe they made it up to give us something to do?!!

22. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Wow, look at the size of that pasty!! Hehe! And what's Kathie's photo doing on there? I didn't realise she was a member of the Pirate Crew! Last thing I heard was that she was working in Monsoon...!

Anyway, I don't really get what "All is Ours Day" is about (yet!), so it looks like I'll be drawing a picture of a bird tomorrow...our conductor does that really well (a man of many talents!!). :D