Holiday Players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by The Wherryman, Jul 8, 2010.

1. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Prompted by this comment in another thread, "I found 4 bands in the area - Bideford, Appledore, South Molton and Torrington, but of all their websites, only Bideford have an invite to Holiday players!", I got to wondering what other bands' attitudes were to the odd (=occasional ;)) player turning up now and then for a 'blow' while they're on holiday in the area.

Here in sunny east Norfolk, with our beautiful, unspoiled, sandy beaches and wonderful Norfolk Broads (plug, plug), we at Norfolk Wherry Brass are sometimes contacted by holidaymakers who want to join us for a practice or two, and they are made very welcome. But we don't actually advertise for them on our website.

What do others think? Are you a happy, smiling, welcoming bunch like we are, or do you regard such people as intruders, who will disrupt your 'heads-down-we've-got-a-contest-coming-up' concentration? Should band websites contain some information, such as 'Holiday bandsmen/women welcome' or 'Keep Out - members only'?
  2. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

We haven't had many holiday players. Steve Butler came to our rehearsals at Burbage whilst he was dry stone walling but never really did any gigs with us. If they contact us they are more than welcome with open arms!!

I suppose I'm currently a holiday (ish) player at Wetherby and been made very welcome.

But surely a holiday is suppose to be a holiday, a time to relax, unwind away from work and other assoicated committments. I don't understand why someone would want to go to a band rehearsal whilst on holiday. I wouldn't!!!!
  3. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

I don't think there will be many holidaymakers in Hull, but if you spot one, send them along!
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

We welcome anyone to our band practices and often have holiday makers dropping in. We even loan instruments if they need one.
  5. T Winch

T Winch Member

I usually find a polite email or text in advance helps and have always received a warm welcome especially at Cawston and Hellesdon & Sprowston (where I unexpectedly found one of my old schoolteachers who I hadn't seen in 30 years!).

A couple of years back Ipswich & Norwich Co-Op heard a rumour that there was a horn player holidaying in the area (thanks Ian Clarke!) and I ended up getting roped into doing a gig for them at Norwich Cathedral. I'll be on the Broads next month Geoff but unfortunately won't have my weapon with me although if I'm in the area of Neatishead on a Tuesday night I will pop in for a listen.
  6. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

I can't say as I've spotted many bands that advertise on their websites for holiday players to come along for a blow but there are many that say players are welcome or similar.

Even if they did I personally find it easier to post on the dep database on here than look for bands in whichever area I'm going to, then find their websites, then read through them to look for details then probably email them anyway.

Is there much difference between someone on holiday depping for a band than someone who isn't on holiday? Obviously they may not be "familiar" with or known to whichever band it is but that's why I post my credentials on the thread for all to see. In my particular case I actually know a number of the players in that area already.

Then it is a band's prerogative whether they answer, and my prerogative what I like to do on my holiday :)
  7. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

It was my original post and Im Both Odd and Occasional!
  8. The Wherryman

...and you'll be very welcome, Trevor. We have tea and cakes at half-time :p. Beryl's scones alone are worth the trip!

If you're actually on the Broads, i.e. boating, Neatishead staithe is only a 5 minute walk from the bandroom.
  9. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Have you thought of working for the tourist board Geoff? ;-)
  10. The Wherryman

Just trying to share my pleasure around, Rob ;). And if I can persuade a few more players to move to the area...
  11. T Winch

T Winch Member

I'd move back to Norfolk tomorrow. It's my wife you'd have to convince ;)
  12. It sounds like lots of our Norfolk bands are a freindly and welcoming bunch. Both bands I play for give a very warm welcome to all players.
    At Dereham we have one lovely lady who plans her holidays around our callendar so she can play with us when she comes this way.
  13. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

We've had an open invitation to "holiday players" on our website for years. So far we've had visitors from New Zealand (for almost a year!), Holland and Germany. All we ask is a little notice so that we can scare up an instrument if required.

14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Neither would I girl; and I suspect Mrs W. would be sharpening her "sphericals remover" if I suggested banding on holidays, BUT, I think it's really commendable that some banders are so committed.

When I was 14 I recall insisting on taking my EEb Bass on holiday to the Yorkshire Dales when my parents hired a country cottage.
    I practiced an hour a day, no doubt panicking the local sheep, and I came home two days before the end of the holiday just to attend a Yorkshire Schools Band rehearsal.

Yes, like the rest of us, I was a Brass Band nerd !!

- Mr Wilx.
  15. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Wait while next week the Clipper Fleet will be in Hull along with thousands of holiday makers but I doubt if they will bring their instruments.
  16. The Wherryman

Holidays are what you want them to be. Some people just want to chill out or party...that's fine. As a semi-pro photographer, I couldn't image going on holiday without a camera, because I love taking photos. My wife paints, and always travels with, at least, a sketch book.

I don't take my instrument to Corfu or Disneyland, but if I'm holidaying in the UK, I might well find room for it in the boot of my car.

My interest in starting this thread wasn't so much about how many people take their instruments on holiday with them, rather how many bands welcome the odd-bod holiday maker etc showing up at their rehearsals.
  17. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Any bands in Portugal.....? We're off there and yes, will be taking a cornet! Boy Wonder's got National Youth week after and expect him to keep up the practise - he enjoys it so it won't be a hardship, and we'll still have loadsa time for 'holiday stuff'. Friend has a flugel so might even manage a duet even if we don't find a band! :biggrin:
  18. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Strange as it my seem. down here with Brighton & Hove City Brass, we don't seem to get many tourists., when you think thaty this is a mega tourist holiday area!!
  19. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Anyone holidaying on the Isle of Wight is welcome to come and have a blow with Cowes Concert Band. Andy 07786166304

Whilst on holiday in Goa this year I took 2 rehearsals and gave a workshop for local Brass/Wind players as well as sitting-in at a couple of Jazz Sessions.
    Music is a great way of getting to know the "locals"...
  20. We have an open door policy here at Torbay, holiday players always welcome, just ring via website to make sure the weather is in our favour!